Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Red Dice Discard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say any die set aside "may not be rolled again during this Resolve an Adventure Card step". It seems like a cheat regardless. I'd say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well page 9 of the rules does say "A player may spend 1 or more Common items, Unique items or Spells before any roll while his investigator marker is on an Adventure card".

EDIT: Yup I just spotted the same rule that Fivepast just mentioned. It's on page 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would say if you are going to use an item to bring back a red die, for example, it brings back a "different" red die, for a different item is being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is a card that gives you a red or yellow dice can only be played when the red or yellow dice is not currently a part of your pool (regardless of whether it's been discarded or focus/assisted)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose until an official FAQ is created by FFG (which might be awhile as this is one of their Silver Line games, which seem to see slower support than their main games) it will totally depend on whether you want a harder game, or an easier one. Making it so that you are able to get by a failed result without discarding a die is just making an easy game even easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bloke wrote:
I have a dice pool of greens + red.

I fail the task and choose to discard the red leaving only the greens for my next attempt.

Can i play a card that gives me the red dice before making that next attempt? I say yes.

Why on earth would you remove the red die from your pool? I can't see any case where, if the red die didn't give you a usable result, you wouldn't continue to use it until you completed the adventure or ran out of enough dice to complete it. It gives you extra chances and higher results for Investigation rolls, and has the wild card side to get all the others- it's the best die to roll.

Unless you simply had some strange urge to lower your chances cause the universe is telling you the red one is bad luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is unavailable for the character's turn.. How about the situation where a yellow die is locked by an adventure card? I would assume in that case an item card would also not allow you to bring one in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
bloke wrote:
I have a dice pool of greens + red.

I fail the task and choose to discard the red leaving only the greens for my next attempt.

Can i play a card that gives me the red dice before making that next attempt? I say yes.

Why on earth would you remove the red die from your pool? I can't see any case where, if the red die didn't give you a usable result, you wouldn't continue to use it until you completed the adventure or ran out of enough dice to complete it. It gives you extra chances and higher results for Investigation rolls, and has the wild card side to get all the others- it's the best die to roll.

Unless you simply had some strange urge to lower your chances cause the universe is telling you the red one is bad luck...

Trying to exploit a loophole where he would discard the red die, keeping all of the rest of his pool, and then use the item/spell/whatever to get the red die back. He's had a failed attempt then and is down no dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, that just seems like a cheat. I would never have thought to play it like that. People who think this way would make excellent playtesters- if only FFG would use some of them!

Does any game company pay playtesters, I wonder....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
Ah, that just seems like a cheat. I would never have thought to play it like that. People who think this way would make excellent playtesters- if only FFG would use some of them!

Martin totally should have been a playtester for this. Another BGGer that I've noticed is good at discovering exploits in games is J.C. (clearclaw). Get some of these guys on board and you'd probably end up with a tighter ruleset than Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.