Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Been playing this game a lot, first with the core set, then with the expansion packs. In the main rule book, they discuss "Expert" level as playing all three core scenarios with esame heroes and deck, with a "Nightmare" mode meaning no reset between each scenario.

Are the three currently released expansion packs considered to be viable in the same way? I mean, I understand you can do whatever you want, but were these three expansion packs conceptualized with the expert/nightmare mode in mind? I'm just curious, since I saw forum posts about the nightmare mode related to the core set quests, but I haven't seen anything about people attempting to play these three quests in expert/nightmare mode.

Also, since this quest series still has three more releases, does anyone know of any overall conceptualization the designers have for multi-quest play for what will end up being six quests?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I did find this over at the FFG message board for LotR LCG:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Nothing official though, just some observations and comments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the designers had Nightmare mode in mind when they designed the quests; probably not. Think of Nightmare mode as a challenging, epic game with nice storytelling (the quests build on another). Since the quest put different emphasis on the game (Carrock is all about fighting, Rhosgobel is a race against time that also needs healing), constructing decks to beat all scenarios will be hard. But it's really fun, try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if FFG will recommend three of the six quests associated with Hunt for Gollum that might build on each other the most thematically, as you state. On the other hand, even in the core set, the quests require different deck strengths.

What's also interesting is that in some ways, nightmare mode actually makes certain aspects of quests easier. For example, I've found that completing Escape from Dul Guldur easier to complete as part of a series, than as a stand alone. If you can get a number of quality allies out during the first two quests, dealing with the loss of a Hero in the third quest is easier (assuming you've been able to manage your threat level through various means) than playing Dul Guldur as a stand alone, at least in my experience.

In any event, I believe I shall give Hunt For Gollum/Carrack/Rhosgobel a try in Nightmare mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, one of us has the Nightmare rules wrong. I always assumed that you have to shuffle all the allies and attachments you have in play back into your deck once you completed a scenario. So you basically start every scenario as you would start a standalone game - with the exception of wounds, threat level and cards you have in your discard pile. Can someone clarify this?

Also, the threat will always start at the combined threat of your heroes, so lowering it beyond that value won't do you any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I just re-read the paragraph on expert and nightmare challenges. Here is the direct quote:

"For a 'nightmare' level challenge, do not reset threat, hit points, or player decks at the beginning of each scenario." (pg. 27)

I took this to mean you play straight through, leaving cards as is. Incidentally, this have been both an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how the first scenario or two has gone. I'm going to check available FAQs, just to make sure on this point. I'd hate to keep playing this way if I'm wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest FAQ goes more in depth on what exactly is involved in the "Nightmare Variant":

Quote:
This section elaborates upon the "nightmare" play
variant that is introduced on page 27 of the Core Set
rulebook.

When playing the "nightmare" variant each player’s
threat, wounds, and discard pile do not reset when
setting up a new scenario.

To reset the other game elements at the beginning of a
new "nightmare" scenario, perform the following steps
in order:

1) All non-hero cards in play and in hand are shuffled
into their owner’s decks. All encounter cards are
returned to their encounter sets so they are available
for the next scenario, if needed. This includes cards in
players' victory display.

2) All unspent resources are discarded from the heroes’
resource pools.

3) Each player draws a new starting hand per the
regular setup rules of the game. A single mulligan may
be taken by each player at this time.

4) A player cannot start a scenario with a threat level
that is lower than the combined threat cost of his
heroes. If a player’s threat is lower than the starting
threat cost of his heroes, he must increase his threat to
that value.

5) Follow all setup instructions for the new scenario.

Each scenario should be scored separately, and then all
the scores added together at the end of the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this clarification -I never would have gotten this from what I had quoted directly from the instruction manual. The two rules descriptions seem almost comletely opposite from each other!

It looks like I have a fresh challenge ahead of me later today, first with the three core scenarios, then the three expansion packs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.