Hide
7 Posts

Waterloo 20» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Schreiner
msg tools
The rules don't specifically state it, but obviously with other Night stipulations there's no reaction phase at night, but what about on a "fog" move, where moves are limited to 1 MP and the defender has no ZOC. Can cavalry still react? I think reaction would not be allowed in fog.

Also, if you haven't tried hidden and dummy units, even in solitaire, they are great! It is very easy to forget what the other side's units are. Walk away from the game for a while after the night turn! Is there reaction, however, when both attacking and defending units in a given situation are hidden and not revealed until the combats are announced? I would say no (16.1.1).

Can you advance after a dummy unit is "sacrificed?" against you? The rules say it qualifies as a normal unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Reaction Phase during Fog. The Fog effects only say Fog is like Night in two specific ways. So yes, cavalry can still react during Fog. However, what happens in the Reaction Phase changes a bit:

1) Countercharge-should a cavalry unit be attacked during Fog (not a particularly good idea for the attacker in this case), that cavalry would be allowed a countercharge, subject to all the further stipulations for same.

2) Disengage-cavalry units would be able to Disengage during Fog, even against enemy cavalry (since there is no ZOC in Fog).

3) Penetrate-cavalry units would be able to Penetrate during Fog, even against enemy cavalry (since there is no ZOC in Fog).

Other questions:

Because by the time the Combat Phase rolls around, the Reaction Phase has passed, there's probably not going to be any Reaction. However, pay attention to exactly when Hidden units are revealed.

No Advance after Combat occurs when only a hidden Dummy unit is revealed. (no combat; no advance). 16.1.1, last paragraph

Now, I'm not the 'swami' of the Nappy 20 Standard Rules so the above interpretations can be adjusted by those who are. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randall's assessment regarding reaction during "Fog" conditions is accurate in all respects.

With regards to hidden units and the opportunities for reaction, the sequencing is very important -- see the final bullet of [16.1.1]: "After all battles are declared during a Combat Phase...all unit in combat are revealed." Because revealing in this case occurs during the Combat Phase, the Reaction Phase is already over and so there's no opportunity to react. However, also note the first bullet of that rule: "At any time the owning player desires." If you have a hidden cavalry unit and you're thinking you might want to react, there's nothing to prevent you from revealing early (i.e. before the mandatory reveal required by the final bullet) to give yourself the opportunity to react.

Hope that answers your question.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Schreiner
msg tools
I suspected the dummy unit removal would not quality for advance, since there was no combat.

Good explnation for fog--I just thought there might be some exclusion for reaction in fog simply because the cavalry would be just as blind as the attacker, but I'll go with that.

Also understand the hidden explanation. However, if the defender does not reveal his cavalry, he relinquishes reaction, right? I guess if I'm playing solitaire I'll have to learn to yell "wait a minute" to myself to check my opposing cavalry and see if they want to reveal.

Great concept! Gradually learning to use dummies and cadres to block roads and seize objectives.

Not a related topic but I'm wondering if maybe random cards should be used by the French on the first turn (I have Waterloo and Jena) as the prudent opening move is almost always the same. Ney messed up pretty badly on June 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the games in the series allows the 1st player to draw a event card on Turn One.That's just the way it is.

And for Ney-who cares about him starting out. It's at Ligny where the French can use a Force march,Commit Reserves and send in the Guard to smash 2 out 3 Prussian units on Turn one.Then you go after Wellington on Turn Two.
I've done it the majority of my games played during playtesting.

Randall-You humble yourself.You were there starting out with the series and Waterloo20 with playtesting,You know the rules just as well as anyone

Miss having you there also for testing like in the good old days(OMG,its been 3 1/2 years since we started all of this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kim but you give me too much credit. Guys like you and Lance are the real driving force behind this outstanding series.

And you never know: I may yet be like Don Corleone and get pulled back in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randall

Well I could have used you for the Wagram20 testing we're into right now..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.