Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it matters, but why are you using your wood discs as clay and your clay discs as wood?

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You should have played your Seasonal Worker earlier, and sat on Day Laborer for the first Stage. Tutor in Round 1, Seasonal in Round 2. Day Laborer in the first 4 Rounds.

You really need to build at least one wooden room. Waiting for a clay room before growing your family just leaves you too action-starved to put up a decent score, unless you have some way to build them on the cheap. Also, with Chief, a big house is worth more.

And yes, I think you have the clay and wood tokens reversed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSoyokaze wrote:
Not that it matters, but why are you using your wood discs as clay and your clay discs as wood?

--ElSoy

I did this too, when I first got the game. Bricks are red, wood is brown; it was natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
ElSoyokaze wrote:

--ElSoy

I did this too, when I first got the game. Bricks are red, wood is brown; it was natural.

We've always done this. I can't convince myself nor anyone else that brown discs should be considered to be brick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wood discs smell of rich mahogany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Huang
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well today I learned that I've been playing Agricola with the clay and wood mixed up for about 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand!

One is the dark color of wood, while the other is the tan color of clay!
The colors are printed right on the board and on the improvements!

How could this possibly be such a common occurrence?

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will join the list of people who got them the wrong way round first off. The main outcome of this was nearly every game we needed to get the multipliers out for wood as there were never enough discs.

You can't undo this unfortunately as you'll just confuse everyone if you switch them back. The only thing you can do is cough up for the goodies and get the actual brown sticks and red bricks that you can't get wrong. Although to be honest we still need the multipliers most games and now the grocer and resource seller are a pain to stack up.

Oh well, the little sheep are cute.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
ElSoyokaze wrote:
I don't understand!

One is the dark color of wood, while the other is the tan color of clay!
The colors are printed right on the board and on the improvements!

How could this possibly be such a common occurrence?

--ElSoy
The improvements show red clay and brown wood. And most wood is light brown in color, while the primary use of clay in modern life is to make bricks, which are red...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also been using the brown pieces for wood and the reddish ones for clay. In a quick survey of my family, we are in agreement that we will continue to play incorrectly, as it does not make sense to any of us why the wood should be such a color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I just don't understand the color swap. The Wood tokens are similar in color to the wooden rooms and to the symbol for wood on the cards. The Clay tokens are similar in color to the clay rooms and to the symbol for clay on the cards. Who cares what color real bricks or real 2x4s are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
I just don't understand the color swap... Who cares what color real bricks or real 2x4s are?

Seven people in this thread, I guess. What number would we have to hit for you to accept this as a legitimate occurrence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celebros wrote:
I have also been using the brown pieces for wood and the reddish ones for clay. In a quick survey of my family, we are in agreement that we will continue to play incorrectly, as it does not make sense to any of us why the wood should be such a color.

WHAT REDDISH ONES?! THERE ARE NO REDDISH RESOURCES IN AGRICOLA! THERE'S BLACK, WHITE, AND TWO VARYING COLORS OF BROWN!

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Ouch, my ears...

One of the shades of brown is undeniably more towards red than the other one, hence "reddish".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps in the sense that green is more red than black because it has *some* color. I wouldn't call green "reddish" though.

--ElSoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some versions of Agricola have slightly different colourations on the cards than others and I think that should be taken into account before wild accusations are throw around.

Also, does it really matter? who cares which colour you use for clay and wood so long as your willing to submit to the majority of those you play with.

I personally use the lighter discs for clay and the darker for wood but I use the cubes with embedded googily eyes for all my animals because I wanted pieces with some character without loosing the cubeness of their design.

I'd also be more inclined to call green a yellowy blue .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSoyokaze wrote:
WHAT REDDISH ONES?! THERE ARE NO REDDISH RESOURCES IN AGRICOLA! THERE'S BLACK, WHITE, AND TWO VARYING COLORS OF BROWN!

What? White resources? If you're talking about the eggshell-coloured tokens (used to represent pumice, or 'stone') then you need to get your eyes checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
My manual says (emphasis not mine):

33 round, dark brown Wood counters
27 round, light brown Clay counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Yeah, but who reads the manual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:

Honestly, I think this was a mistake in the manual. The darker brown have a reddish tint to them, which is also reflected in the cost icons on improvement cards.

No one will ever be able to convince me that red-brown is wood and brown-brown is clay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
rtc84 wrote:
cjfoster wrote:

Honestly, I think this was a mistake in the manual. The darker brown have a reddish tint to them, which is also reflected in the cost icons on improvement cards.

No one will ever be able to convince me that red-brown is wood and brown-brown is clay.

Whether or not it makes sense, the dark brown discs are meant to be wood. There is more wood in the game than clay - in fact, the difference in the number of pieces should probably be more than six. The Goodies Expansion solidified the matter further:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.