Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got my copy of SH, Lorenzo's eagle standard was snapped off. I repaired it with "Testors Cement for Plastic Models," and it primed with no problem, came off again when I started painting. I reattached it with the Testors Cement, but it won't stay.

What do you minis experts recommend? Should I use Super Glue? Krzy Glue? Something else?

Thanks in advance for helping to get Lorenzo to his full glory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Zap-A-Gap super glue that dries clear. I bought it from my FLGS back in Tacoma. It's super strong and a lot easier to use than Plastic Cement, IMO.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use testors cement. Try Super Glue Gel. Tiny bit.

i use super glue gel to put GW minis together in general. just don't glue your fingers together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure what the eagle standard is.

But when mine arrived broken, I took them into a GW store and they sold me their plastic cement glue thing. It stuck everything on fine, and it was all the small fiddly bits, like the antenna on the little rover thing, and some spiky pin-sized thickness things.

It's 1am, brain no worky for proper words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While mine hadn't snapped, I did notice that it was a bit weak and would eventually break. The guy who assembled and painted my set fixed it, and it is now very solid. I believe he pinned it, so you could try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
While mine hadn't snapped, I did notice that it was a bit weak and would eventually break. The guy who assembled and painted my set fixed it, and it is now very solid. I believe he pinned it, so you could try that.

Yep. I broke mine off intentionally so as to pin it as well. One of the main motivations for me is that it consistently got caught on the battlefoam insert, weakening it every time I used it. I'm confident that it's problem solved now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Tennberg wrote:

Yep. I broke mine off intentionally so as to pin it as well. One of the main motivations for me is that it consistently got caught on the battlefoam insert, weakening it every time I used it. I'm confident that it's problem solved now though.

I had it pinned as well because it was rubbing up against the Battlefoam. I also used a hobby knife to cut away some foam from a few of the figure slots so that they would fit better. Trying to fit 36 figures into 1 tray results in a tight fit for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
When I got my copy of SH, Lorenzo's eagle standard was snapped off. I repaired it with "Testors Cement for Plastic Models," and it primed with no problem, came off again when I started painting. I reattached it with the Testors Cement, but it won't stay.

What do you minis experts recommend? Should I use Super Glue? Krzy Glue? Something else?

Thanks in advance for helping to get Lorenzo to his full glory!

Definitely pin it. You can also replace the narrow part entirely with pinning rod, and reshape over it with GreenStuff. Your FLGS will have pinning drill ('pin vise') and GreenStuff in stock, and the 'paint guy' (every shop has one, even if he doesn't work there ) can explain the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to glue plastic together is to use Plastic Liqued Glue (the bottle version). You brush both surfaces with a thin coat and then leave for a few seconds to react with the plastic and than press together, You will get a very strong bond.

If you think you need extra strength then after the glue have dryed either coat the join with super glue or gloss vannish.

Give the plastic miniature a coat of Gloss or Satain vannish after you painted the miniature before you use Mat vannish will strengthen up the miniature.

Also you could store the miniature diffrently. I find that foam sometimes catches on parts of the miniatures and if you not careful you can snap the part off. So I use maganetic tape on the base and store them in a Steel Paper lined box. There are a number of diffent strenghs maganetc tape avalable, but take notice of the size of the base you are using to mount your miniatures on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.