MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer.

If we play with a multi galaxy system in which one system is accessible by only one wormhole, does that mean the ghosts may totally block this off to all others by leaving a ship in the wormhole present in that system? The question is essentially: does having a ship in a system with no planets mean you "control" the system? I know with planets present you must control planets AND have a ship, but I am not sure if planetless systems can be controlled.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Planetless systems can be controlled, yes.

Faq page 8 (last entry before SE portion, in Misc):
Q: Is it possible to control a system that has no planets?
A: Yes, you simply need at least one non-Fighter ship in the
system (and no enemy units).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I guess that means the ghosts can fully blockade any galaxy that is accessible by a single wormhole with 1 destroyer. Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Actually, any race can do so. It is just easier for Ghost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be reasonable to house-rule their special ability out for multi-galaxy. Just state it doesn't apply when moving between galaxies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While any race can put a Destroyer on a wormhole space and stop enemy movment there, Simonboubou, that's a much different thing from the Ghost ability to prevent you from entering the space altogether through the wormhole! Any other race's Destroyer would be annihilated in a single turn; the Ghosts' Destroyer can effortlessly and safely remain there for the entire game.

I would have to respectfully disagree, Slev; I don't think it would be reasonable at all to vindictively hamstring one of the Ghost' special abilities with a house rule specifically designed to hurt them and only them. I think the reasonable thing would be to play the game as normal. The other players all know the Ghosts' abilities and know what they can potentially do in a multi-galaxy map. Given that foreknowledge, if they don't or can't keep it from happening, then kudos to the Ghosts' controller for good playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Right, I forgot about the Ghost Hability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the only reasonable way to play this is to explicitly exclude the Ghosts from any multigalaxy game.
Either that, or use C tokens for the galaxy bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
While any race can put a Destroyer on a wormhole space and stop enemy movment there, Simonboubou, that's a much different thing from the Ghost ability to prevent you from entering the space altogether through the wormhole! Any other race's Destroyer would be annihilated in a single turn; the Ghosts' Destroyer can effortlessly and safely remain there for the entire game.

I would have to respectfully disagree, Slev; I don't think it would be reasonable at all to vindictively hamstring one of the Ghost' special abilities with a house rule specifically designed to hurt them and only them. I think the reasonable thing would be to play the game as normal. The other players all know the Ghosts' abilities and know what they can potentially do in a multi-galaxy map. Given that foreknowledge, if they don't or can't keep it from happening, then kudos to the Ghosts' controller for good playing.

That's true but to be honest if the ghost player managed to start as speaker and take warfare 1/2 and/or have a flank speed AC to start the game, he could easily send a single destroyer in on the first turn if it's within 3-4 spaces, before anyone even has a chance to play. He might not even need all that to happen, as chances are he could send at least a couple in on the second turn, and then it's locked up for the entire game.
Granted, a move that audacious might just invite the rancor of the other players but would still be a little OP.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My inclination would be to turn off the "no attacking Ghosts through and a/b wormhole" power and instead let the Ghosts start with one of their racial techs (controller choice).

The Ghosts were balanced under the assumption that the Galaxy would be created using the normal set-up procedure, in which wormholes are cool and show up, but aren't essential to the shape of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why the new expansion blows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the issue is more with the multi-galaxy maps than the Ghosts. The whole concept is kind of flawed; in most games with that map that I've seen, it turns into two mini-games where only limited interaction between the galaxies ever happens, usually only between two players (maybe 3 if you're lucky) in the middle galaxy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was our experience with a multi-galaxy map (8 players). We had basically two smaller games going on with very little interaction between the two separate galaxies until fairly late in the game.

I love the way that the multi-galaxy maps look when they are set up, but the game play was a bit of a let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that Gravity Drive will increase inter-galactic interaction?

I would guess not in face to face games because it is my experience that there is a psychological aspect to physical tile layout and people don't internalize the wormholes in the same way.

Has anyone playing the wormhole based 5-player map noticed that effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.