Subject: General rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm not sure why, but I am having a hard time getting my head around some of the rules for this game, despite being a pretty seasoned board game player who's played far more complicated games.

I am mainly confused about how the Rally cards function. I realize that you "discard" them to increase or decrease your speed (beyond the normal turn limit), as well as when you take damage, however I am unsure as to when they are "played," as that is not a written part of any of the round phases, nor is it indicated anywhere. When it is my turn to set my speed, for example, I could increase my acceleration by 20mph by "discarding" a rally card. Does that mean I'm "playing" the rally card, and getting its benefit? To add to this confusion it is clearly stated in the FAQ that cards cannot be "discarded," either at a turn's end or by increasing then decreasing speed, so does that further imply that when speed changes occur, for example, that the cards are being played and their functions activated? Additionally, can I simply "play" a rally card at anytime during my turn, or anyone else's, to gain its benefit? For the record, I do realize that "attack" rally cards are used in the Combat phase, so those cards clearly have their time and place.

I may have a few other questions but for now that's my main point of confusion. Thanks in advance to all who help me out on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy.

rcpete22 wrote:

I am mainly confused about how the Rally cards function.

Okay, I'll take a crack at the answers:

rcpete22 wrote:

I realize that you "discard" them to increase or decrease your speed (beyond the normal turn limit), as well as when you take damage, however I am unsure as to when they are "played," as that is not a written part of any of the round phases, nor is it indicated anywhere.

I believe that rally cards that aren't attacks can be played at any time, although some have a trigger (Dashboard Jesus, Exploding Bumpers, etc.) and most of them seem to have a sentence that starts with "Play this card when..."

rcpete22 wrote:

When it is my turn to set my speed, for example, I could increase my acceleration by 20mph by "discarding" a rally card. Does that mean I'm "playing" the rally card, and getting its benefit?

No, you are discarding it to gain acceleration.

rcpete22 wrote:

To add to this confusion it is clearly stated in the FAQ that cards cannot be "discarded," either at a turn's end or by increasing then decreasing speed, so does that further imply that when speed changes occur, for example, that the cards are being played and their functions activated? Additionally, can I simply "play" a rally card at anytime during my turn, or anyone else's, to gain its benefit?

You have no hand limit, therefore there is no "discard" phase. You can't just discard cards for no reason. If the discarding is done as a payment (like accelerating or from damage) it is not the same.

I think the general idea behind this rule is to stop people from cycling cards in thier hand by saying "I discard 5 to go up four speeds, then I discard another four to go back down 6 speeds", therefore thinning their hand.

yes, you can play a card on another person's turn as long as it is not an attack and the "Play this card when" criteria are met.

Hope this helps.
Paige
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the clarification - it is much appreciated! Now just to convince the wife to give it a try... but you can't help me with that. laugh

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
Thank you very much for the clarification - it is much appreciated! Now just to convince the wife to give it a try... but you can't help me with that. laugh

Thanks again!

I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to let you know that I uploaded a file that states when and how to use the rally cards. The use of them is certainly a bit confusing. I can't give you the direct link, as the file upload has not passed the admins yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.