Popular Tags: [View All]
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who Shuffled These?

At my FLGS I have been bringing Battlestar for the last few sessions. It is popular and fits in with the crowd, although most are Warhammer 40K players (I am trying to convert them to more boardgames).

This was a six player game with four players having had 2-3 games and 2 having never played before. Surprisingly enough, most players have not seen the show (with some only starting to watch due to playing the game). I quickly explained the concept, went over turn order, talked about reveling and cylon strategies, and we started.

Players

President Laura Roslin (Me)
Admiral Adama
Apollo
Helo
Chief
Starbuck

I am not a cylon

The game starts our normally, with the pilots taking off to blast cylons. Adama is being played by Matt (he runs the store) and he is sneaky, so I am automatically suspicious of him. Getting into the spirit of the game, one of the new players immediately accuses everyone of being a cylon. This seems to make the cylon nervous and he lays low. Skill checks pass and there is no indication of a cylon in our midst. I am always suspicious of Adama (Matt) but we are jumping well, and he even gets the event card that moves us one space.

So far, we have been getting through our events fairly well, passing most of them but losing some population and food along the way.

Near disaster strikes. Someone pulls one of the cylon Attack Crisis cards. I go next and pull 2 Attack crisis cards. All of a sudden space is full of cylons and we are in trouble. At that moment the Chief revels, hoping to put the nail in the coffin. We jump at -3 and barely make it out, heading to the sleeper phase.

After the sleeper phase, things go fairly quietly, until the cylon uses his Super Crisis card to put some pressure on us. We make it through somehow getting to 8 distance with our population down to 2. Through the last few rounds, a bunch of "President loses skill cards or lose population/food" have been coming up, resulting in me having 3 turns with no skill cards. As a result, when I pull up the next "President discard 3 skill cards or lose two population", I have no choice, we lose 2 population and humans lose. Anti climatic to say the least.

A string of Cylon Attack Crisis cards and then a string of "President discards.." events. Who shuffled these?

Anyone else think it unusual to have a cylon revel before the sleeper phase?

Cross Posted at [geekurl=http://grusomegaming.blogspot.com/2011/09/session-report-battlestar-galactica-who.html][/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sessin Report - Who Shuffled These?
Cylon reveals before sleeper can happen, and in the right circumstances happen often. E.g if people suspect you enough you sometimes want to cut your losses and reveal.

Who was the other cylon? And were you playing no sympathiser?

One minor rules point... you can always choose an option on a crisis like discarding cards, even if you have none. The only time you can't is when the crisis explicitly says you can't, e.g. build cylon detector says you can't choose the nuke discard option if the admiral has no nukes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can choose the "president discards 3 cards" even if the president doesn't have any cards in hand.

The only strict requirement is for Laura Roslin's flaw: she needs to have 2 cards in hand to use a location ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
One minor rules point... you can always choose an option on a crisis like discarding cards, even if you have none. The only time you can't is when the crisis explicitly says you can't, e.g. build cylon detector says you can't choose the nuke discard option if the admiral has no nukes.

I don't know that that's a minor rules point in this case. It affected the outcome of the game! Humans (possibly) would have won if he had known he could still choose the discard option without having any cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Generally, you can choose an option even if you can't fully pay for it. There are only a few exceptions I can remember:

1) The Build Cylon Detector crisis requires a Nuke Token to be available to spend for that option to be chosen.

2) Roslin cannot activate locations without cards to discard.

3) Nobody can activate Engine Room (in Pegasus) without cards to discard.

4) Nobody can move between ships without cards to discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for the bottom three is that they're costs, not effects. Roslin has to 'pay' 2 skill cards to activate a location. The engine room you have to pay 2 cards to get it's effect. To move between ships, you discard with intent to move, then actually move. So (rule lawyering here) technically they're not really exceptions. But yeah, those are the only hard discard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
A cylon shuffled them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rules clarifications.

The reason it seemed a bit early to revel was that there was no suspicion of anyone at that point.

We had a few more games last night and I will post them soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to put in the sympathizer card. Opps. I wondered why there wasn't a second loyalty card for me.

I believe the second cylon was Helo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Players always make crucial rule mistakes with this game when they are new to it. That's what the boards are for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.