Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the planning phase I have always played that each player, starting with the first player, has one chance only to play attachments and ally cards.

However looking at the rules they say "The first player can play ally and attachment cards from his hand....The opportunity to play cards then proceeds clockwise around the table."

I could be wrong, but I can't see anywhere where it is stated you only get one chance to play cards in this phase - in which case it could be argued that after the last player has played cards the chance passes back to the first player again.

This would have an effect on gameplay - e.g in a game today if the second player played steward of Gondor on me it then would have let me play a card I otherwise had to pass on playing.

What do you think ? I'm 90% sure what was intended is that you only get one pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
You only get one chance to play ally and attachment cards.

The "opportunity" you are referring to is for playing actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's your turn you play as many allies and attachments as you wish. You're next opportunity to play these types of cards will be next turn. Once you pass, you are done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
When it's your turn you play as many allies and attachments as you wish. You're next opportunity to play these types of cards will be next turn. Once you pass, you are done.

Right but that's my point - where does it actually say that once you pass you are done ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

Right but that's my point - where does it actually say that once you pass you are done ?

rule book wrote:
The first player plays any and all ally and attachment cards he wishes to play first. The opportunity to play cards then proceeds clockwise around the table.

"any and all"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

rule book wrote:
The first player plays any and all ally and attachment cards he wishes to play first. The opportunity to play cards then proceeds clockwise around the table.

"any and all"

I guess that's right....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Here's a related question: Can you play an attachment or ally that then lets you play another attachment or ally?

1. You play Minstrel, search and find your Song of choice then play it?

2. You play Stewart of Gondor, exhaust it for the tokens and then use the tokens to play something else?

(All within "your turn".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of those are fine I think - as long as you have the resources to pay for the song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of those are definitely fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Here's a related question: Can you play an attachment or ally that then lets you play another attachment or ally?

1. You play Minstrel, search and find your Song of choice then play it?

2. You play Stewart of Gondor, exhaust it for the tokens and then use the tokens to play something else?

(All within "your turn".)
Yes, that's all acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
United Kingdom
Clitheroe
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say no to Steward of Gondor - p30 shows that in the planning phase you play your ally/attachment cards then carry out player actions (in this case, exhaust SoG to get the tokens). To me, that says you only get the extra resource tokens after you've had your chance to play your cards, so you can't use them to pay for extra ally/attachment cards that phase
That's the way I've been playing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ariochRN wrote:
I'd say no to Steward of Gondor - p30 shows that in the planning phase you play your ally/attachment cards then carry out player actions (in this case, exhaust SoG to get the tokens). To me, that says you only get the extra resource tokens after you've had your chance to play your cards, so you can't use them to pay for extra ally/attachment cards that phase
That's the way I've been playing it...

I remember asking this before - the answer is that you can player actions at any time during one of the green steps on the chart, not only during an action step. The chart is confusing in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
United Kingdom
Clitheroe
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh aye, just seen that bit at the top of p30 "Green - any player can take actions generally, or between the game steps stated in the rules". Thanks for pointing that out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.