Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the order of resolution of domain counters when a player lands on more than one planet in a system? Is it:

A)
1. Land some forces on first planet (while others remain in space and are potentially vulnerable to figher ambush or ADS).
2. Flip and resolve the domain counter.
3. If there are still available forces in space (i.e. figher ambush or ADS didn't wipe them out, and/or some forces were sent back by settlers), land some forces on second planet.
4. Flip and resolve the domain counter.
etc.

B)
1. Commit which forces land on which planet. Unlike case "A", Figher Ambush ADS on one planet can now no longer kill the forces carrying that are landing on other planets by killing the ship.
2. Flip and resolve the first domain counter (of your choice).
3. Flip and resolve the next domain counter (of your choice).
etc.

C)
1. Commit which forces land on which planet.
2. Flip all the domain counters simultaneously.
3. Resolve them in the order of your choosing.

The rulebook and FAQ seem to be somewhat ambiguous as to whether we are to use A, B, or C. Does anybody know the answer for sure? (With references, please).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

1. Land all Ground Forces. Once you've landed, you can't land any more after the Domain Counter has been revealed.

Reference: TI3 rulebook, page 33:

"A planet’s Domain Counter is revealed (and its effects resolved) immediately after a player has landed all his desired Ground Forces there during the “Planetary Landings” step of a Tactical Action.

After a Domain Counter has been revealed, the active player may not land additional Ground Force units on the planet during the same activation."

2. If a Fighter Ambush is revealed, resolve the Space Battle. If you lose, all Ground Forces are lost.

Reference: SE rulebook, back cover:

"After landing, a Space Battle immediately starts in the system against the indicated number of local Fighters (allow another player to roll their combat dice). Players may not use Anti-Fighter Barrage in this Space Battle. If the Space Battle fails, then the planet remains uncontrolled, all (emphasis mine) landing Ground Forces are discarded, and the fighters return to full indicated strength. Discard this counter after a successful Space Battle."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyGear wrote:

Reference: TI3 rulebook, page 33:

"A planet’s Domain Counter is revealed (and its effects resolved) immediately after a player has landed all his desired Ground Forces there during the “Planetary Landings” step of a Tactical Action.

After a Domain Counter has been revealed, the active player may not land additional Ground Force units on the planet during the same activation."

(Emphasis mine.) That was exactly the quote that raised the ambiguity in my mind. As far as I can tell, this quote talks about landing on a single planet at a time rather than all planets simultaneously in a system as a whole. (Nowhere in the quote does the word "system" or "planets" appear, only "planet.) It does not specify whether all landings on all planets in a system occur before the domain counter reveal, or one at a time.

(I did make a slight mistake in the OP about fighter ambush though, don't know how that happened -- some instances of "fighter ambush" should be replaced by Automatd defense turrets.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always gone by page 12 of the TI3 rulebook:

If a system contains multiple planets, the active player may split any landing forces between them in any way he sees fit, but may not change his mind once the Invasion Combat step begins.

Then, back to page 33:

A planet’s Domain Counter is revealed (and its effects resolved) immediately after a player has landed all his desired Ground Forces there during the “Planetary Landings” step of a Tactical Action.

I know the rules mention "planet" (singular), but my assumption is that it was written that way to keep the sentence from bogging down into references to one or more planets.

Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was the other reference I was thinking of when I wrote the OP. It seems to imply that you CAN change your mind about how you split the landing forces, as long as you do it before the invasion combat step. But, all the domain counter stuff happens before the invasion step, so it seems that it allows the possibility of A.

Also, you definitely seem to be against A, but you haven't stated whether you think whether B or C is the correct sequence.

Anyway, I don't think there is a clear reference in the rules or FAQ that can resolve this ambiguity (though I'm happy to be proven wrong!) I was looking for something like an official ruling from FFG (Corey seems to be the one in charge of the TI3 FAQ?). If there isn't one, I'll contact FFG/Corey directly, but I didn't want to bother him if he already answered the question elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd go with C (flip them all and resolve in the order of your choice). That's not an official answer but it seems to be in keeping with the spirit of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Land forces don't look at the counter. Pick a planet and resolve it. then do the second Done

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok malloc, it looks like you are against C but you left it a little vague if you prefer A or B.

So, now we have one taker for C and one for A/B!

Which one is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.