Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

What made me buy this game?

I originally bought this game based off the picture of the potion matrix I saw in the BGG images section, I thought the mechanic was different, and to be able to say that I bought a boardgame from Russia.

Potion Making Practice is a fun little game, but do not expect it to be a complex game. If you have not played the game before it may take a while to decipher the instructions a bit to be able to teach it to others.

Gameplay
The game basically boils down to you use the reagents at the bottom of the card to make the potions, elixirs, talisman, and creatures shown at the top of the card. You can also mix in prior items you (and other players) have completed and laid out before you into bigger and higher point items. Using other player's creations also nets them aportion of the points. Or if you can't do anything you put a reagent from your hand to the desk, if the reagent is not already in the desk you get a point. Cards from your hand can only be used as the recipies or spells, while the desk can only be used for reagents (aside from some spell effects).

Points of Interest:
- Potion Making Practice has a neat mechanic of being able to use other players potions, creations, while giving other players partial points.
- Potion Making Practice is a bit “table needy” and will end up sprawling out when you play.
- The card's text is hard to read with a bit of glare. Similar to Pastiche. Brown text on beige background does not do well with glare.
- The pictures of potions look great and help alleviate the text/glare issue besides looking colorful.
- You never really get to see the potion matrix as it is the opposite side of the score tracker.
- Once you get the hang of the gameplay , it is quite a fun little game.
- Potion Making Practice is a good filler, comedown from a complex game, or a good gamer quickie if you don’t have much time to play a heaver or longer game.
- I found it easier to take the divider insert out of the box, so the rules and scoreboard can fit better within the box.
- It feels satisfying creating larger potions and rumaging through "the desk" for reagents for your potions.

Overall Potion Making Practice is not a bad game, I got a package from Russia with some cool postage and a sweet Cyrillic language box, not to mention I got nice looking game with a mechanic I had not seen before. It will be a solid “once in a while” game around the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Dutchman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts about this interesting little game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also would like to add that I have made a ton more potions and elixers in WoW than in this game. I'm glad it is all of the mixing none of the farming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.