David Scholes
United Kingdom
Leeds
UK
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi everyone,

What do you guys think of ‘Blurbs’? A lot people write about rules, but nothing much is written about blurbs or the bits before the instructional part of the rule.

I write a lot of blurbs when I’m writing up rules for Three Plains, but what do you guys think on the subject???

Personally, I think they are important, sometimes as much as the instructional part of the rules itself, as it helps the reader understand why the rule is there in the first place and can help the reader understand the rule further too.

Your thoughts on the subject would be great Thanks guys

Dave =O)

P.S. you can learn more about Three Plains at http://epicwargaming.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "blurbs?" Are you referring to the little thematic descriptions that help give background to the rules?

Also, when did Three Plains become free? Was it always that way, or is that a more recent development? Because I could have sworn that it was something like $19.99 for the download when I checked it out a few months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scholes
United Kingdom
Leeds
UK
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
That's right, the little 'Thematic Descriptions' as you call it.

I browse this forum ever so often and I have ever seen anything written about it.

Sometimes when I'm writing blurbs I feel my brain switching over to a more creative side, rather than using the more logical side when I'm writing the more instructional parts of a rules. In fact, I find it far easier to write the more instructional parts than the fluffy fluffy bits.

I just thought it would be an interesting subject to bring up here.

Yep Three Plains was $19.99, lol very few bought it as no had played it before, as there was no BUZZ about it. So I had to go back to the drawing board.

So to build up awareness and get people to play it, I decided to give it away for free.

Now I'm beginning to get somewhere, with me building up an mailing list, YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGWoHn9eTk), Tweeter Account, getting gamers to choose the next army for it and making connections with other wargaming sites for reviews.

As it turns out, Just getting people to invest their time into Three Plains is a battle in it's self, but now I'm getting people to play my game, so I'm slowly getting there... =O)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game, thats usually referring to whats sometimes referred to as alternatingly, the Backstory, History, Setting, Flavour Text (what a witless tag that one is.) Theme, etc.

If a game has some backstory and theme then I tend to mention it somewhere in my reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I usually don't read it. When teaching the rules I generally mention the theme only in passing if at all. Okay, this is a game about money with mines and railways and bribes. On to the rules... Most of the time I don't even do as much as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "blurbs" and use them extensively, but then, I tend to enjoy playing and designing really thematic games. Since I have little to no ability to do artwork and graphic design, I tend to convey the theme of my games through flavor text, dramatic descriptions, etc. Gives me a chance to stretch my writing muscles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scholes
United Kingdom
Leeds
UK
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Also Blurbs can be a little argument in its self. Arguing why the rule needs to be put there in the first place, sort of justifying it to the reader, especially with the more difficult or finer rules in a game.

The other day I read and saw a rule in action were one side had to deploy their entire army down first, but could choose which side would take the first turn. Their opponent then set all of there pieces down to counter there enemy's positions, which was clearly unfair. But as there was no blurb arguing the rule's case, it seemed the rule was only put in to give the players a differ style of play, which they had to roll for, which was another odd rule to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.