Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to find a good game for my 2-year old and thought I'd share my experiences with others in a similar situation. I'll skip any rules explanations because rules are available online.

This was a present for my daughter's second birthday. She also got Bobbin' Bumblebee and her friend got Go Away Monster. All three were major hits, with her asking to play them again and again, but First Orchard is so far the only game where she actually understood the rules (almost from the getgo!), and was playing the game rather than playing *with* the game. I imagine that the concepts of taking turns, rolling dice, matching the color on a die to a fruit or the crow, and trying to get all the fruit out before the crow gets them are just right for 24-month olds, and this game is great for that. Being a cooperative game, it doesn't require understanding the concept of competition (something she doesn't get yet, and the only reason I say she plays "with" games like Bobbin' Bumblebee and Go away monster).

There is actually a little bit of strategy in this game. The strategy is obvious to adults (whenever a basket is rolled, take the most abundant fruit), and I look forward to when my daughter finally figures it out! (Not to overstate things -- the game is still mostly random. As compared to random player decisions, optimal play raises the chances of winning, according to a quick simulation of 300,000 games, from 73.7% to 76.6%, and maximally sub-optimal play lowers it to 70.1%.)

All said, my daughter loves it and it's definitely a fun way to spend time with her and teach her about cooperating, colors, waiting for your turn, and a few other things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My two-year old loves it too. The big problem, though, is she wants the bird to win! Even if we manage to pick the fruit before the bird gets to the orchard, she insists on sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Becker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha I understand that.
I was just playing with my two years old this weekend (she just got the game) and the first time, we won and picked off the fruit.

Since then (we played 2-3 more times) each time, at the middle of the game, she says the raven is hungry and she takes the fruit, put them in front of him and feeds him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow Rogue
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to concur with how excellent this game is for a two-year-old. Our small one has played numerous times today and just like OP's small one, our s is actually playing the game as opposed to playing with the game (an obstacle we haven't yet overcome with Richard Scarry's Busytown Eye Found It). We are incredibly pleased to have a board game to genuinely play all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.