Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found Tikal at an out of the way game shop, Yeah laugh

Anyone have an opinion as to how many players I should have when taking this baby for it's test drive? First impressions are mega-important in my gaming group.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the players aren't "analysis paralysis" type players, then I say 4 is best. If a few of them are of the slower, more ponderous, variety, then go with three. Sometimes three can lead to one player getting a free pass while the others fight it out, but this is not a given. But slow players will doom this great game, and with four, it will feel even longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the experience you want. Four is a tighter game with more hosage, and higher on downtime. Two has less interesting interaction. Also depends on if you play with the auction variant included in the rules or not.

For a first game I've had success introducing Tikal to groups of 2, 3, and 4 players - all without the auction variant. The auction rules make the game a bit longer, but also offer much better control, however the relative value of the tiles is all but impossible to figure out without having already played at least once.

So, my suggestion is go with any number of players and play without the auctions.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Close2nd
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal thrives on player interaction so I would go for three or four, preferably four. As has already been implied there is a pattern to the way the tiles are revealed so gauging relative value in a first game is difficult so go without the auctions - it is meant to be an exploration game after all. Remind the players during the introduction and rule explanation that it is supposed to be a fast game, maybe limited by torrential rains of the wet season or similar. Most of all have fun and enjoy watching the board develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Like many games with 3 two people fight and the third wins (its area control after all).

Many people swear by the auction variant but for me this game is long enough and brain burning enough normally. Every time I think about the likely AP from auctioning every single tile I just shudder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Tan
Singapore
Singapore
SG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has only played it with 3, it is still as fun and brain burner! one of my top favorities of all time. i recommend starting with 3 and moving on to 4 for a tighter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Buj
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to learn, 2 is acceptable. But i advice you 4 players. Is much more interesting, because your plans can be destroyed with one simple move of other player. Tikal is one of my favourites.
Bye gekeers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Outstanding game with three and four, only good game with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'nother vote for 4 here, again - as long as you can keep the pace up.

As others have, I would also recommend playing without the auction rules for speed and simplicity sake until you've played enough games to feel the luck element of the tile draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Tan
Singapore
Singapore
SG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal deserves a much higher rating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd say 3 just because of AP risks. i haven't had any problems with game length though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is best, 3 is reeeeeelly good, 2 is veeeeeeeery good.

I've found Analysis Paralysis to be more of a player problem than a Tikal problem. I've played Tikal with many different people and never had an issue with it. I do however have a friend I WONT play Tikal with as I'm sure that he would drag the game on and on. It doesn't matter what kind of game he plays, if there is any kind of decision to be made that may include one or more 'good' choices, he always will stop and ponder them until we harass him to hurry up.

Carcassonne. Roborally. Manhattan. Puerto Rico. It doesnt matter. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've found Analysis Paralysis to be more of a player problem than a Tikal problem.

This is exactly the issue. Tikal is the poster child for those who cry analysis paralysis. Yes, Tikal lends itself to analysis paralysis (as do other games with lots going on) but this doesn't happen with all groups of players. It's really a player issue. It bugs me that whenever Tikal comes up in a list or comment the first thing out of someones mouth is that the game has an analysis paralysis problem. It's not the game's fault! Played with the right players there is no problem! Tikal really is a great game and I think that a lot of people pass this one by because of this perceived issue. If you know that the group you normally play with would drag this game out, then by all means ignore it. But if not, then pick it up, it's a real good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've found Analysis Paralysis to be more of a player problem than a Tikal problem.

I disagree. The game state in Tikal can be fully calculated at any given moment. If you want to play well, it behooves you to calculate it. Calculating it isn't really difficult; it's just a bunch of tedious addition. Even if you don't want to calculate the whole game state, just figuring out the highest gain for your own activities again requires tedious addition, then re-addition, and so forth. This must be done by each player after every move.

The face-down draw pile does provide uncertainty, and playing really well requires you to know what's left, what's more likely to come, the likely actions of your opponents, etc., but this doesn't change the fact that you have to know where the game is at whenever it's your turn to affect it, and everything you need for that is right in front of you. I'm inclined to chalk that up to the game, not the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite game. I have to concur with Daniel Edwards, 4 is the right number. The contention will run much tighter and 4 balances the game, while 3 can position 2 players against each other with 1 having a much easier, uncontested position. I've played with two and found that the resources seem to get spread too thin. Hands down this is the perfect game with 4. I don't bother with any other number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like Tikal as a 3 or 4 person game and think it is designed as such. But the 2 player game with the auctioning of tiles is also quite good - better than most multiplayer games that scale to 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way to play Tikal is two players with the auction. Two players without the auction is worthless, as the luck of the draw will determine the winner. With the auction, it's a great two-player game.

With three or four, I prefer to play with the auction, but can be convinced to play without it if some players are new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.