Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike HIldreth
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
In what order do monsters attack warriors? I know during the Warriors Phase warriors are supposed to attack according to their initiative (B,E,W,D). Do monsters also attack the warriors in the same order? (B,E,W,D),which doesn't seem very realistic or do you choose a warrior token to determine which warrior gets attacked in what order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martin
Japan
Edogawa
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we generally have them attack in the order that they were placed on the board. Age before beauty, if you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If it comes down to a single homogeneous group of monsters, then yes, I think warrior initiative order is the way to go. It might not be realistic, but randomising it for every encounter just bogs the game down I think. There's already the process at the start of each battle to allocate odd monsters, adding a second randomisation to the start of every battle seems wholly unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont have the rules handy but it should be that they attack the characters in the same initiative order, essentially starting with the most dangerous (highest initiative) and working their way down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
mhildr wrote:
In what order do monsters attack warriors? I know during the Warriors Phase warriors are supposed to attack according to their initiative (B,E,W,D). Do monsters also attack the warriors in the same order? (B,E,W,D),which doesn't seem very realistic or do you choose a warrior token to determine which warrior gets attacked in what order?

claymationdude wrote:
I think we generally have them attack in the order that they were placed on the board. Age before beauty, if you will.

mhildr wrote:

That reply does not answer the question. (think about it)

Sounded like a complete and accurate response to me. But to be fair, if we have misunderstood the question, it's probable that the question wasn't asked very clearly. So if claymationdude hasn't answered the question, i don't know if anyone has or if i'm answering it either. So feel free to further chastise people trying to help you if we're just too stupid to understand you.

In light of all of the answers, here is the example from the Main Rulebook about Monsters fighting the Warriors after they were placed on the Board:

Now it is the Monsters' Phase. They were put on the board last turn, so this is the first time they can actually attack the Warriors. Because this is the case, the First Attack rule applies, so the Monsters attack the Warriors they were originally placed next to if they can. The Wizard has not moved, so his Rat attacks him where he is, luckily missing. The only other Monsters left alive are the two that were placed next to the Elf - the Minotaur and a Rat. The Rat is pinned to the Dwarf, so it cannot move at all. It has to attack the Dwarf instead of moving and attacking the Elf. The Minotaur isn't pinned to anybody, so it hurls itself across the room and hits the Elf.

Apparently BEWD order is not the answer. It appears that Monster Initiative might very well be the answer although it is not stated in the Rulebook that this is the case. And in the Basic Game (from which this example is from) the Initiative stat for Monsters is not even used.

But why would there be any other reason that a Monster would have the Initiative statistic if it isn't for determining when a Monster takes his turn before other Monsters? It's probably more important in the GM version. And it might make a difference with "Large" Monsters who can drop a Warrior and then move on to another Warrior.

Now, another thought just occurred to me. You might not be asking this question at all. You may be asking, "How do you determine which Monsters attack the Warriors when they are placed on the Board?"

The answer is the rule of 1 on 1:

THE RULE OF ONE-ON-ONE
A group of Monsters will always fight one-on-one where possible - the Monsters are shared out as equally as possible between the Warriors. So, if the four Warriors are attacked by eight Orcs, each Warrior would be attacked by two Orcs. This rule applies both to placing Monsters and to decide which Warriors the Monsters attack each turn.

If that's the question, the small text above doesn't actually even cover the entire answer. There's a little more to it than just that.

No matter which question you're asking, you really need to get a hold of the Rulebooks for WHQ. It is much more enlightening to read it yourself than to have us trying to describe the answer. (apparently)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike HIldreth
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I agree the question wasn't clearly stated. Allow me to rephrase. How does one determine which warrior gets attacked first, second, etc. when monsters attack.
Example: After applying the preliminary One on One and First Attack rules it is determined that each of the four warriors is being attacked by one monster. During the Monster Phase which battle is resolved first, the battle between the barbarian and his monster, the battle between the elf and his monster, the battle between the wizard and his monster or the battle between the dwarf and his monster? I realize this may seem like a trivial matter to some but it could have a profound effect on the outcome of the round of combat.

Sorry for the previous confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Bosnjak
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that warriors get equal number of attackers. You usually went straight into the corner with 2x2 formation. Wizard was inside a corner and nobody could melee attack him, others on the flank and most heavily armored sticking out, like this:
xxxxxx
xWE
xCF
x
x
W = wizard
E = elf
C = cleric
F = fighter

If all can be targeted, like in the middle of the room or being attacked with bows, calculate number of monsters and divide by the number of players. If there are 9 monster with bows, each warrior gets hit with 2 arrows and we rolled (lowest number od dice) who will get last arrow. You determine these numbers on the first round, no need to repeat it every round.

I can recall that later levels are quite difficult to track, and I made .NET windows application which generates monsters and tracks loot. If anybody needs it, I can upload it somewhere..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amazing Larry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We honestly don't worry too much about monster attack order. The only thing we stick to, is that monsters with magic/magical type abilities (shamans, vampires, etc), cast their spells first. Then its an all out melee, with each warrior resolving their own attacks from the monsters as they choose. Typically, I save the big baddies for the last attacks. It seems to flow better that way, taking small cuts and slashes from the 3 goblins. After surviving those attacks, the minotaur strides forth to finish the job his little buddies couldn't. It just seems right, and honestly the rule book does not seem to put much restriction on how to resolve monster attacks, unless I've completely missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazarus Darkeyes
United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
Since this is not directly answered, I have Monsters take their turn in initiative order. Ties are broken by which Monster type was placed on the board first. Ties there are broken by which had the higher/first entry in the Monster Roll on the Monster Level Table (when a single roll generates multiple monsters).

I have all creatures of the Monster Type move simultaneously. Then their targets are determined. Then they all attack simultaneously. If 2 orcs attack a Warrior and the first orc knocks the Warrior down to 0 Wounds, then the other Orc's attacks are worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike HIldreth
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
That seems like a very logical solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.