Subject: Disappointing solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten to play this alot the last few days. And this is yet another solo game to let me down.

My problems with the game solo begin with difficulty. It's all over the place. It's either a cakewalk, or near impossible. Why? Well if you get to a point where you have no items to help you and only average to tough cards are in play. The game is over, sure you might get lucky and can keep fighting, but it's certainly not fun. Now this problem is gone in multiplayer, as you can team up if you are both in trouble. And it's fun this way, hard but fun. Solo it's just not.

And rather it's hard or easy, solo it just feels like you are just running circles. Like grinding in a RPG. "use a few items to defeat card, get rewards. Next card use those rewards, beat card get new rewards. You just keep repeating this. Again, just not that fun. Multiplayer changes this up to, because there more of a chance of bad rolls, and plus you never know where they are gonna go.

So another disappointing game solo from fantasyflight. RuneAge was painfully easy solo. Much like rune age, the game is fine multiplayer. Some may not find the grinding feel of it, as bad as I did. But IMO it's either a cakewalk or trying to catch up. Rarely did a game come down to the wire. It was either getting enough elder signs to win way before they were to awake. or simply getting crushed.
SOLO 4/10
MULTIPLAYER 7/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
A: Did you consider making use of the entrance to build back up?

B: Does solo player with multiple characters fix the issue at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game a great deal solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that how much you get out of the solo experience will probably depend on how much you can immerse yourself in the theme and build a narrative as well as play the game.

I can see exactly where you're coming from but so far the theme and narrative have been strong enough for me to enjoy the solo experience. The main thought I have had is that if you play the game by reading all of the theme text and building a narrative in your head it takes a long time.....possibly more time than the games engine justifies? It's also hard to keep up your concentration on your story over a lengthy period.

I've thought about just halving the number of doom and Elder Signs required for victory or defeat to make the solo game a little faster but haven't decided yet if this will have a material effect on game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game twice solo now, both times with two investigators.

I found it a lot of fun, and there were definitley strategies I developed in the second game regarding which areas of the museum to go to, and when to use your re-roll tokens and items.

I guess it might get boring after repeated plays, but i guess there'll be some add-on packs coming out later.

My only minor gripe is that some of the tokens are pretty small- but as i have Arkham Horror, I've used the Investigator, clue, sanity and stamina tokens from that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Kuchenbrod

Cary
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually read this post before I picked up the game today and was a little worried. But I can tell you that if you follow what the other guys say here about being cautious with your clues and items, and staying at the entrance and trying to build yourself up (to tackle the little cards first then the big ones), you will have a MUCH better experience. Yes it can be hard depending on your dice rolls, or the luck of the draw of the adventures, but this game DOES have a bit of luck involved.

Also I do agree above that having 2 "adventurers" helped a lot as well. I can see if you just go with 1 person how this would be a much harder / longer game. Still very fun though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've managed to squeeze in a couple of fairly quick solo games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The second game I went with the speedier clock variant I found someone post here (going 4, 8, 12 instead of 3, 6, 9, 12) and it upped the difficulty perfectly.... lost in battle to Ithaqua with two doom tokens left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP much summed up my initial thoughts on solo variant. What bugs me most is that if during my first turn I use all my starting items and then fail, everything else feels like a downward spiral, as I would have no extra items for my following turns. Ok I can wait at the entrance, rolling dice but it's very frustrating.
I surely need to start building up a better strategy and analyse chances more carefully, or try to play solo using a second investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Based on my experience with Arkham I never even considered playing solo with one investigator, although I guess it would be interesting getting a few turns per character before midnight. Instead I've been playing solo with three characters. Seems like a decent balance to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
Based on my experience with Arkham I never even considered playing solo with one investigator, although I guess it would be interesting getting a few turns per character before midnight. Instead I've been playing solo with three characters. Seems like a decent balance to me.

I've tried to play solo with two investigators and it makes a difference too.
It's a dog's life for a lonely detective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.