Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my brother Kirk, (who until last year would not play any of my type of boardgames with me) says to me: “We should play a tournament until new years playing best of three of every matchup in summoner wars.” Even without the Vanguard and Fallen Kingdom decks, this totals 132 matchups and a possible 396 games. Needless to say he likes the game.
So that said, this might be a long thread running.

The first few games I don’t remember all the details, but I’ll put what I can.

Matchup 1, Shadow Elves (Kirk) vs Phoenix Elves (Me).
Game 1: Kirk beat me pretty well, I played defensive the entire game and for a while held him off with my auto hitting dudes and wall stepping cowards (I’m prejudiced) but eventually he pressed his Hydrake into my left side and got a swordsman in on the right to trap me and slay my weak summoner.
Game 2 & 3: Both games I played some nasty PE tricks on Kirk, burning his troops and taking all of his magic. The final play of game three involved me taking control of malidala and ganging up on Selundar with three butt kicking elf lady champs.

Matchup 2: Jungle Elves (Kirk) vs Cloaks (Me)
Game 1: I beat Kirk pretty handily on this one, he I stole his two ladies (Kadara and Makeinda Ru) with a timely Spy and Thieving. So he mostly just played commons until I pinged away at his summoner to the point of death.
Game 2: This one was close; Kirk and I both got our walls up early, Kirk using them as launch points for his vicious Lioneers and me using them for blocking his lanes. Pretty early on I got a couple of scrappers into his back lines, I then got some hits on Abua and his animal helpers and pulled out by thieving one of his cards as magic. He then counter attacked by sending a couple of Lioneers and a gorilla into my corner behind my walls. I beat off the beasts but with only 1 hit left for poor Vlox. Kirk had defeat spelled out on his side of the board, he only had his summoner, a Lioneer 2 cards, and 1 magic. But I always play it careful, so I slowly pushed forward with scam and some gunners. To my surprise, abua and the lion 1 killed of scam in a single turn. Only a minor setback though, I finished off his lion and put my gunners in place for the kill next turn. Kirk has a relieved look and his face and lays down his two cards: A gorilla, and chant of haste. So with abua shi chanting it up in the background, the ape bounds around both of my remaining champions and does me in.
Game 3: This one wasn’t very exciting, Kirk put out all his walls early on and I only had my one, giving me a very poor defense to his raging lions. I pulled out scam about three rounds in but even that was two late, he popped up a couple of his cats and ate me on the spot.
I’ll post more games later, but a final note is this, Kirk pulled the win with the jungle elves (best of three) WITHOT SUMMONING A SINGLE CHAMPION. If that isn’t wild I don’t know what is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchup 3: Cave Goblins (Kirk) Benders (Me)
Once again, the first few matchups are kinda foggy so this one won't be very in depth.
Game 1: It was pretty ugly, I brought out Sorgwen early game as well as an early wall, giving me an excellent defense advantage. I used breakers to plug the hole between my walls, and telepathic command to attack with each one twice per turn, thus I ate through his deck (using memory break) at a rapid rate. By the end he just ran for my summoner trapped sneeks and snuffed him.
Game 2: Then Game was much better, I still got sorgwen out relatively early, and did the same strategy. Kirk still adapted well and managed to get some beast riders onto tacullu before I clogged the lane with breakers and controllers. By the end I still had a couple of commons and sorgwen, he had krag and sneeks in my territory. I, however managed to use my controllers to push him into a favorable location, thus killing off Krag and then going after Sneeks for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchup 4: Cloaks (Kirk) Benders (me)
This one was ugly, I would've thought that I would have the advantage since I had even more mind control than the cloaks but...
Game 1: I still got sorgwen out (as your seeing this is a strategy of mine) but a bit later in game and thus her effectiveness was diminished. Kirk "Spied" away gulldune early on, and then thieved away Kalal. In the end, Tacullu was hiding with one health left behind a couple of units and kirk popped out violet and shot through them for the kill.

Game 2: This was a better game, I got Kalal and Sorgwen out, and did more of the classic bender goodness: Breaking his cards, seeing the future and switching up his deck. In the end I was doing fairly well when Kirk pulled out the traitorous Sin-Sin (trained at the bender academy of psychomancy) and took control of one of my own controllers, sending it at Tacullu leaving him with one health left. Breathe, I can still do this so I try to regain my composure, I use sorgwen and my regained controller to do some damage, when I realized: He can still take control of my Controller! So in the end, the last three hits to Tacullu were done by his own commons. How humbling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchup 5: Tundra Orcs (Kirk) vs Sand Goblins (me)
Game 1: I don't remember much about game one, but as always, I got biter out early, shortly followed by Kreep, and then late game by silts. Kirk was getting used to using Bragg as a strategy (which he realizes in the next game), and I killed off Bragg before too much damage was done by freezes. Then it was just slowly eliminating his guys. Biter/Kreep and Silts worked so well in conjunction, it was like a single 5 attack, 12 health unit. So I finished off Grogs pretty handily.

Game 2: Kirk learned from his mistakes of letting Bragg get killed early, and pulled him out early. He then proceeded to freeze all of my important guys (Krusk and Silts). Unfortunately I let the orc-ice-mage live too long, and I was under a 9 magic debt before I could get anything done. I pulled the freeze off of silts in time to race Rukar and some thwarters who were bee-lining for my frozen and wounded summoner. I managed to stop Rukar with some cunning action, but the thwarters got the best of me pretty fast and took the win.

Game 3: This game was pretty similar to the last, Bragg came out early and just as I did some real damage with silts and Kreep, out comes the cold and freezes my heroes solid. Then lumbers out big, stupid Rukar, thinking he'll beat up on poor fearful Kreep.
And that's pretty much what happened, I managed to get biter out right when Rukar finished off Kreep; and due to the persistence of my javelineers, I was able to triple hit Rukar for the kill.
Unfortunately, Kirk was rolling in the magic, and had one unsummoned hero remaining: Krung the Ice-Troll.
So out he came; He, Bragg, and Grognack himself slowly proceeded in formation toward Krusk. But I had a plan... I retreated into a corner and played mirage, thus encasing myself in a wall shield; and buying me some time to get Silts and Biter into the action. And that's where my plan fell flat; Silts got a triple dose of tundra fury as the three beasts slaughtered him. And then Biter to follow. Sigh, I had such high hopes for this game...
I resigned in shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchup 6: Deep Dwarves (Kirk) vs Sand Goblins (Me)
Game 1: I played the same Sand-Gobbo way I always do, get out the cheap guys and then Silts. Early on Kirk did some nastiness on my commons with locking biter up with a scholar and pulling my loaded scavengers to the back where he would strip them of their magic, and then slaughter them. But Kirk is new to the Deep Dwarves, and in the end Tundle was tender from my commons harassing him. I sandstormed him into range and finished him off with Krusk.

Game 2: Was similar to Game 1. Kirk fielded Kynder early on and did some nasty stuff with his Gem Mages, tearing up my champs and then disappearing. I got Biter and Silts out first and for once didn’t do very well, his Gem Magic really took its toll on Silts and as I was retreating, he pulled me back in with Kynder and finished me off. It was looking pretty poor for me, Biter followed Silts into his eternal abode, and all I had was Kreep, Krusk, a Javelineer…. And a plan! Kirk had left Tundle out in the open one to many times and had 3 health left, so I did a right flank attack on him even and Kirk pulled out Lun, the common eater. I scored two hits on Tundle, and because of my sandstorm ability, it was impossible for Kirk to escape my sandy wrath. He tried to run, but next turn I reeled him in with my sand and… well actually the sand killed him.

I apologize that the Sessions aren’t that “on the edge of your seat” exciting, this is the last one I’m writing from memory, and then I’ll just post right after I play.

Once again we are tied, three to three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchup 7: Benders (Kirk) vs Deep Dwarves (me)
Game 1: This one is epic.
I won the initial roll and opted to go first, and took the opportunity to kill off my miner. Kirk went and killed my right hand side Miner and also slaughtered his own Deceivers for a total of 3 magic. Since Kirk was getting kicking early, I figured I’d move in with my guys, I managed to get a miner and scholar up to his summoner with little wounds sustained, so I took down his Breaker (who already broke one of my Gem Mages) and miffed a roll on Tacullu with my miner.
Out comes Gulldune and down goes both my units, the miner falling into the clutches of the benders mind games. “Two can play the tricksy side” I say, and pop out a Summoning Surge and then an Illusionary Warriors, thus resurrecting his old Breaker to my side. I kill off one of his controllers with my breaker and Magic Drain pops up as the discard card, so Kirk keeps it.
Over the next couple of turns I get Kynder out on the left side and begin to advance with a GM (Gem Mage) while Kirk begins to penetrate my defenses with a couple of Controllers on the right. Before I know it, the telepathic little ladies are laying down the hurt on Tundle and reduce him to three health. I know I’m in trouble but the next hand I draw is a Godsend. I lay down a wall to block off their prior entrance and play “Magic Torrent”. I apologize to the poor event for badmouthing it in the past, kill both his controllers for no money down, and then attack with Kynder, and STILL get to meditate. Good day for the Deep Dwarves.
As Kirk begins to advance on my rather small army, I pull out Sprog and send his wall back to an inconvenient spot. Which was kind of stupid ‘cause next turn Sprog is overwhelmed and taken over buy Gulldune. On top of that out comes the breaker and takes my FINAL CARD from my draw pile (ironically it was the same Gem Mage that I payed to not be broken awhile back). Things are looking tight, but I manage to summon a Scholar and rush for Gulldune and also play Magic stasis to slow things down. The scholar and Kynder manage to get only two hits on Gully. Thanks to the Stasis, however, both my warriors live to fight another day and take out Gulldune and put him in my magic pile.
Things go downhill from there, Kynder and my GM are slain by Kalal and one of her Controllers; and I am left alone with 1 magic, 1 summoner and 1 gem mage. But a plan begins to form in my mind: if I can get up to four magic I can summon Lun and possibly turn this around. I withdraw further into my territory with the two Dwarves and have some meaningful mediation. Kirk sees what’s up and begins to charge with Kalal and the Controller. I meditate again, still moving away. Kirk makes a nice move, placing corrupted Sprog and Kalal to where if I stay where I am, I’ll get Kalal’ed; and if I move Sprog can hit me next turn. So I move my GM around Tundle and go for his Champ, scoring only one hit on an otherwise healthy champ, but I meditate and can afford Lun next turn. Tundle has 3 health remaining.
So Kirk Pulls off a crazy stunt and makes this setup:
(Tundle, Controller, Gem mage, Kalal)
X X W W
X W T X
C X G X
X X K X

Kirk destroyed my Gem Mage with his Controller, thus freeing his shot at Tundle. He has three attack value, and I have three health. Then his blind little reject of a bender proceeds to roll three hits. Just as it was starting to get good.
I always enjoy summoner wars. Kirk will tell that I never get mad when I lose at summoner wars because I love the game so much. But this made me mad, mad, and mad.

Benders will die tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 2: I felt like something was missing from my deck, so I swapped out Sprog for Khexu, and a miner and GM for two stonecloaks. Early on, when I was getting my magic built up, Kirk used memory break on one of my Summoning Surges! This is bad, I thought. But I got out Khexu, and with the help of some commons, I took down his wall. (costing me yet ANOTHER Summoning surge to the bottom of my deck due to his breakers) This was a big advantage for me, because although I couldn’t go for his summoner (he was building magic like crazy to get walls) for fear of countersummons, he was slowed down and I was meditating regularly. I popped down a Magic Stasis and moved in on Tacullu to try to give him some pressure, but then of course, out came his walls.
I pulled back into my territory with khexu, knowing that either I would be countersummoned or slaughtered next turn if I stayed. Kirk summons Sorgwen and some commons and prepares for the assault.
My next draw is unbelievable: Lun, Kynder, and the two broken Summoning Surges. But for be to get them out I need to lose some units fast, so I send my two gem mages on each other, and only manage to kill one of them (tying me in unit count to kirk). He moves a breaker up kills my last GM, moving up with Tacullu and Sorgwen as well.
I must have that look on my face because he says: “Feel free to beat me now.” Out comes the two summoning surges and two angry Champion Dwarves. Because Khexu is behind the lines, I can only get two heroes around Tacullu, and bring him down to 2 health.

He started to retreat using Sorgwen to block my path to him when he realized Kynder will just push her out of the way, so he charges me with both and uses Sorgwen to power the breaker to attack tundle twice. Both miss!

I get all three champs around Tacullu and say: “1 dice from each champ”, and roll triple sixes.
TIE GAME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 3: The pressure is on, we are tied 1 and 1, and the matchups are tied three to 3. This game decides it! So I went with Sairook this time took out ALL my miners (excepting the THREE that start out on the board, of course), in favor of 3 stonecloaks and 2 speargrounders. I go first and take out one of his Controllers with my Miner, and also kill one of my own miners. (I always do this when I go first). Kirk kills my Miner next turn, and then I kill one of his guys, it's a pretty boring start. Then, I bring out Kynder, the most-awesomnest guy ever, and attack his wall with him, also bringing up my GM against Tacullu for 2 hits!
He kill off my GM, but can't really do much damage to Kynder; so next turn I summon a Spear Grounder and back up Kynder as he moves for some of those soft bender commons.
Next turn Kirk retreats with tacullu and brings Kynder down to three health, he concludes his turn by saying "Oh Crap! That's game!" which was a really poor move, because I had no idea what he was talking about.

But lo and behold, I understood and moved Kynder up, mage pulling Tacullu into my grasp, and then closed in with my spear Grounder. Four dice to roll, and three hits will finish him off....

Four hits.
So there you have it, deep dwarves take the victory and I take the lead in the battle of the ages.

PS: Don't put Stonecloaks in your deck when going against the benders, I found that any time I summoned one, it always ended up as Kirk's or in Kirk's discard pile.

PPS: I can't believe I got so much text in here, this game was our shortest yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we didn't play any during fall break, but we did once school started back

Matchup #8: Deep Dwarves (Kirk) vs Shadow Elves (me)
So I preface this by saying two things. First, I forgot to take notes from the games, so they will be sort less descriptive than usual. Second, I don't like playing as the Shadow Elves

Game 1: I went with a pure deck of Shadow Elves, having not played them much I wanted to test out the murky waters therein. James Sitz one minute strategy led me to attempt wall crowding, which I thought would be easy because of the style of quick moving units I have in my deck.
I failed to realize that all of my commons have 1 health and absolutely no staying power. I got about 4 hits on his wall and lost a ton of commons, taking some of his with me, but not really doing good. Then he played his second wall and I realized I was really stupid.
But in all the common chaos, I had managed to move my Hydrake up and do some Mucho Damage on Tundle, enough so that once I thought i was a goner, I got in Xaserbane and a Swordsman in for the kill.

Game 2: This one was a little better, strategy-wise. I subbed in some Vermin for some rangers and scouts (somehow I figured this would help me wall crowd, but in retrospect I don't know what I was thinking). On his first turn Kirk pops out two walls from his draw pile.
I really thought I had screwed up, but then realized that although I couldn't crowd out his entire walls, it was fairly easy to keep a line of commons on his walls. This was pretty nice because I could whack on his walls with my weak swordsmen while taking on his units with my tougher mercs.
But of course....
Out came Lun, the Common Eating coward with a stupid gem of calling.
He began to take down two commons per turn in the open lanes, on top of pulling one common off of his walls onto his sides, those opening his lanes AND his summoning spots.

Interestingly enough, he didn't slaughter my like I thought, the DD aren't exactly Go Getters when it comes to charging. I put up a wall to protect my wounded Selundar and Summoned Malidala, who closed off the lane completely, making it impossible to get more than one attacker on her per turn. Soon afterwards, Kirk brought forth General Cheese and plagued his way over to my side, while I took out Lun with a Shadowy Strike from Xaserbane. Then a strange thing happened, I brought out a vermin to fight off Khan Queso, and stood there fighting him for three turns. Yeah, I he had some whacko rolls, and I got a total of 3 hits on the Rat before he offed me.

That was the last bit of joy I got from the game, soon Kirk Managed to get around Malidala with Kynder and Queso to finish her off. And then it was on to my Summoner for the Lose.

Game 3:
So the wall blocking worked alright, but I picked the wrong units for it, so instead I put out 4 rangers in favor of StoneCloaks (units I previously considered to be pretty bad). This allowed for some nice front-line staying power while my Swordsmen picked away at his walls. We exchanged niceties and had the back and forth battle of me killing his commons and him killing mine, until I brought out sairook. (instead of Malidala) I really used him pretty terribly, I summoned him and did nothing with him on the first turn because I forgot about him. The next turn he began to mount an attack with some SpearGrounders and Kynder, but went for my stonecloak instead of Sairook, giving me some breathing room. Then next turn I lightly wounded Kynder, and as an afterthought, killed off my Ranger that starts in the back left that does nothing all game.

Beginning of Kirks turn he says: "Summoning Surge, Summoning Surge." At which point I kindly point out that I have the same number of units as he does. So instead he brought out some commons and went for my Crow. I counter by playing "Into Shadows" and taking out two of his speargrounders, and the meat of his attacking force. I now have one unit more than him, and two wounds on Sairook, so I attack Kynder, dealing out 1 more hit, and then vanish in a cloud of shadow and feathers.

Now he is pretty angry, cause he has been unable to summon surge for a good while and it's really starting to wear him down. So he retreats, and begins to meditate (basically taunting and saying, come get me or I'll replenish all my magic). So after sending Xaserbane on a suicide mission to put vital wounds on Tundle, I played it clever and Summon a Stonecloak, thus killing off my wall for one magic, and then move up and offer him up as irresistible bait. Irresistible because if he doesn't take it, I'll beat up his summoner.

So my elemental disappears flurry of gem magic and magery. SHADOWS! I cry, and delightfully steal one of his would-be two magic.
Though he probably was expecting this anyway, it makes me happy.
I bring out the Hydrake, thus leaving me with no magic and a vanishing crow in my hand.
I decide to go all or none, and just start lumbering over to his summoner and kynder, hoping that I can get two vital hits off. As could be expected, the goober ran off and left me with a deceitful Mage whose pushing my 10 ton drake all over the place. Once I get Kynder down to 2 health. We both take a respite and the Hydrake and Selundar go at his walls, trying for the vital 2 magic needed for Sairook to come throw some knives at the meditating dwarf coward.

The details escape me but we managed to level one of his walls. Then out came Lun and they had a go at my summoner leaving him with only 1 health. Fortunately, my Hydrake was still intact, and I hid behind him with Selundar, while the Hydrake scored three hits against Kynder (enough to destroy him), and rolling three ones against Lun.

Then out comes Khan Queso, but they still fail to take down the drake, so I bring out Sairook again and get off one hit off on the Rat my hydrake is in position, and as I begin to roll with the hydrake, I howl: "Arrrrrrrrr! Triple Head Fury!" and roll three hits!

Kirk attacked the Hydrake with Lun, and got two hits off, but left him with one health, so he and the crow rolled 5 hits and took down the Calling Dwarf.

At this point Kirk (in the manner of chess) took Tundle, and flipped him over.

Victory for the Shadow Elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.