Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This actually came up tonight, and I couldn't find an official answer.

The wording on Pirate Ship is: "Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, discards the rest, and if anyone trashed a Treasure you take a Coin token"

The rules state to generally do things in turn order, but is it complete each step in the comma separated list for each player individually and then move on, or is it all simultaneously?

IE, assume a 4 player game. Player A plays Pirate Ship. Is it:

1) B reveals 2 cards. A trashes one of them, B discards the other.
*Now* C reveals 2 cards. A trashes a treasure, discards the other.
Now D reveals 2 cards, no treasure, discards them both.

or

2) All 3 other players simultaneously reveal 2 cards. Now A makes his decisions, but this time knowing what all players have turned up already.

I'm not sure it would ever matter, but there was some theoretical discussion that maybe there were situations that it could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Theoretically as of now it shouldn't matter but choice 2 is correct. All players turn up their cards at the same time.

Just note that anyone who has a secret chamber in their hand who wants to use it must do so before all other players flip up cards from their decks (ie they can't react to seeing that 1 player did not reveal a treasure to follow suit and not reveal a treasure)

Also secret chambers must be played BEFORE you announce if you are a friendly pirate ship (gain money) or a non-friendly one (look for treasure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The wording on Pirate Ship is: "Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure that you choose, discards the rest, and if anyone trashed a Treasure you take a Coin token"

The rules state to generally do things in turn order, but is it complete each step in the comma separated list for each player individually and then move on, or is it all simultaneously?

In general it's best if no-one cares and everyone madly reveals cards ASAP. We don't wait to see what one Spy decision was before revealing the next card; that would just slow down the game pointlessly.

However if you want to execute these things in slow motion, then my interpretation of that text is, each other player "does block of things," meaning, do the entire block for the first player, then the second, etc. And this is how isotropic implements it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

In general it's best if no-one cares and everyone madly reveals cards ASAP. We don't wait to see what one Spy decision was before revealing the next card; that would just slow down the game pointlessly.

However if you want to execute these things in slow motion, then my interpretation of that text is, each other player "does block of things," meaning, do the entire block for the first player, then the second, etc. And this is how isotropic implements it.

And in real life, someone may have to reshuffle to show the two cards on the top of the deck, and you don't necessarily want to wait for that person before taking care of the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
allstar64 wrote:
Also secret chambers must be played BEFORE you announce if you are a friendly pirate ship (gain money) or a non-friendly one (look for treasure).

Or any other relevant reaction, for that matter. If you play Pirate Ship and every other player reveals a Moat, you probably want to take the opportunity to gain money rather than waste the Pirate Ship entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gf1024 wrote:
In my gaming group, first we reveal two cards and trash our most valuable treasure.

Then, the current player announces he's taking his $'s.

But what if Thief or Jester is available? I might prefer to get rid of your Copper with my Pirates and use Thief or Jester to steal or copy your better treasure in the future. Not likely, but its a possibility.

And I assume that when you say the current player announces he's taking his $'s, you a referring to him adding a token to his pirate ship mat. Otherwise, if you make opponents trash their treasure while and gain +$ on the same turn, it would just make the card too powerful (and is in violation of the card rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
But what if Thief or Jester is available? I might prefer to get rid of your Copper with my Pirates and use Thief or Jester to steal or copy your better treasure in the future. Not likely, but its a possibility.

You thought first of an edge case like that instead of Kingdom Treasures that make one not strictly better than another?

And why are you running Thief and Pirate Ship in the same deck anyhow?

Beaveman wrote:
And I assume that when you say the current player announces he's taking his $'s, you a referring to him adding a token to his pirate ship mat. Otherwise, if you make opponents trash their treasure while and gain +$ on the same turn, it would just make the card too powerful (and is in violation of the card rules).

The joke is that the Pirate Ship hits the table, everyone madly reveals and trashes in response, and then the current player explains that no, he wasn't stealing their treasure, he was just taking the +$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika Toukola
Finland
flag msg tools
Of course it matters which way you play, just like most other times where you have a choice, knowing more can make a difference. Suppose the first person reveals two Coppers. If you play the way described in 1), you face the problem of not wanting to trim his deck of a below average card, and not knowing if you'll still be able to get a coin from trashing a Treasure from another opponent. Playing like 2), you can safely let him keep his Coppers unless they are the only Treasures anyone reveals. Of course, this assumes you would want to play with this strategy, but even the possibility of such a choice and information which effects it is significant in a theoretical sense.

We play the second way, as this is quicker in practice and we like having the information available before making the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.