Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Miranda
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No... you just don't trigger the fail effect. If you are within 4 of the skill check difficulty, nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have reached a partial pass threshold (not considering iron will which does not care if you s are within 4 of a partial pass) you will trigger that. You can still trigger a pass if you really passed of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

There are a handful of cards out there where not triggering the pass condition is a good thing for the humans (Fleet Mobilization for example)

Also, keep in mind that most partial passes are within 4 of the pass effect (but not all). "Forgetting" this from time to time is a great move for an unrevealed cylon

Lastly, there is one really hard to realize rule that if you have a skill check of 10 with a partial pass of 6: if you get the skill check to strenght 6-9, you will trigger the partial pass and there is no way to get out of that, but if you get it to 4-5 someone can play a Declare Emergency lowering the strength to 8, so you can ignore the fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tipbruley wrote:
Lastly, there is one really hard to realize rule that if you have a skill check of 10 with a partial pass of 6: if you get the skill check to strenght 6-9, you will trigger the partial pass and there is no way to get out of that, but if you get it to 4-5 someone can play a Declare Emergency lowering the strength to 8, so you can ignore the fail.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but... Declare Emergency can reduce the difficulty of the skill check, but it has no effect on the partial pass number. A skill check with difficulty 10, 6+ no effect, fail = something bad... if you get to 5 and play Declare Emergency, it's still a fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
arkayn wrote:
tipbruley wrote:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but... Declare Emergency can reduce the difficulty of the skill check, but it has no effect on the partial pass number. A skill check with difficulty 10, 6+ no effect, fail = something bad... if you get to 5 and play Declare Emergency, it's still a fail.

Not if an iron will is in the check because 5 is within 4 of 8 thus you do not trigger the fail effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DE does weird things with IW. There's a number of threads on this already.

First, total the strength (TS) of all cards in the check. Don't count IW as a fake 4 or anything, just let it count as 0.

Now find FINAL MODIFIED DIFFICULTY (FMD) which is the number on the card modified by things like declare emergency and jury rigged (Pegasus).

If TS + 4 >= FMD, you don't trigger the fail
If TS < = 0, lose 1 morale from IW.

Now ignore IW and check for pass or partial pass, triggering one if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what is being posited is that the Skill Check of 10 becomes an 8 with Declare Emergency, so with Iron Will in effect, you can get as long as a 4 and not trigger the Fail or the Partial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tipbruley wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Not if an iron will is in the check because 5 is within 4 of 8 thus you do not trigger the fail effect.

Oh, okay. Sorry, I was reading something wrong. On the other hand... is Iron Will in Exodus? This is the base game forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
DE does weird things with IW. There's a number of threads on this already.

First, total the strength (TS) of all cards in the check. Don't count IW as a fake 4 or anything, just let it count as 0.

Now find FINAL MODIFIED DIFFICULTY (FMD) which is the number on the card modified by things like declare emergency and jury rigged (Pegasus).

If TS + 4 >= FMD, you don't trigger the fail
If TS < 0, you lose 1 morale from iron will
TS <= 0

Now check for a pass or partial pass based on TS alone (at this point you can ignore IW).
FTFY... IW does say "0 or less", not just "less than 0".

We've been burned by it before when that and another 0 are the only 2 that show up in Destiny when we tank a skill check angry devil

last but not least, IW would in theory interact with Saul's Cylon Hatred and Zarek's special too if there were fail effects on those location skill checks. OTOH, Saul's special + Starbuck's weakness + Admiral's Quarters + Iron Will + DE and/or Jury Rigged can allow for the wacky situation of brigging Starbuck AND losing a morale in the process cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
tipbruley wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Oh, okay. Sorry, I was reading something wrong. On the other hand... is Iron Will in Exodus? This is the base game forum...
I suspect alot of people post in the base game forum to either grab more attention, or simply that's where it's thought where it belongs. I've had posts that I end up putting in the base game even thoguh it refers to the entire series. If I put it in the exp #1 message board, one day, additional expansions may get released which may make that original thread seem like it only pertains to just exp #1 and not exp #2, exp #3, etc.

I would agree that this thread seems more logical to be in Exodus. I've asked about this before, I'll need to look up the procedure for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I would agree that this thread seems more logical to be in Exodus. I've asked about this before, I'll need to look up the procedure for this.

Instead of thumbing the thread, click the red 'X' and click on 'Wrong forum'. I've already done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
arkayn wrote:
I suspect alot of people post in the base game forum to either grab more attention, or simply that's where it's thought where it belongs.

Fair enough, but it explains my confusion... coupled with the fact that OP put no context or explanation whatsoever in his post. I don't know what an Iron Will does... (I mean, I do now...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the earlier post... I was going from memory and edited it about 3 times trying to remember if it was ... oh FML you know how I feel about BGG's inept handling of less than signs. You all figure out what this post said before BGG ate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.