Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Cook
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the rules states,

"When stacking blocks, quarter-block spaces on both blocks must match up, if the surface edges do not."

There are four of us who cannot figure out what this means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the first time I played I ran into the same thing. Still don't know the correct interpretation.

And the ladders and blocking stones are just one-time only uses per game, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I could have written that caption more clearly if there were more space, but you can see in the illustration above it how the top surfaces of the blocks have been marked with grids. The idea is that the blocks stacked on top must have their edges lining up with those grid lines or with the edge of the block beneath.

In this photo, you can see how the block is actually bridging three blocks beneath it, with half over one block (gray up) and two quarters over two other blocks (yellow and light blue up). You can see how all the base level blocks fit together legally.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rampantdragon wrote:
And the ladders and blocking stones are just one-time only uses per game, right?

Page 3 of rules: "A ladder once used is immediately removed from play." and "At the beginning of your next turn, your blocking stone is taken out of the game."

Page 5 of rules (under "Forbidden Actions"): "use ladders or blocking stones more than once."

Did you not read the section heading on page 5 and think it was contradicting page 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
rampantdragon wrote:

Page 3 of rules: "A ladder once used is immediately removed from play." and "At the beginning of your next turn, your blocking stone is taken out of the game."

Page 5 of rules (under "Forbidden Actions"): "use ladders or blocking stones more than once."

Did you not read the section heading on page 5 and think it was contradicting page 3?

Part of the initial confusion was the fact that you used two different phrases, "from play" and "from the game." We all took that "from play" meant simply getting them out of the way for the next player. This made sense to us because 1) there are other games where items are removed from play but may make an appearance later, and 2) you used "from the game" when referring to the blocking stone. I think in a later reading of the rules we found - or rediscovered and paid attention to - the forbidden actions section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
May be splitting hairs, but "out of play" and "out of the game" is the same to me. What you described is "setting aside for now."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
I guess I could have written that caption more clearly if there were more space, but you can see in the illustration above it how the top surfaces of the blocks have been marked with grids. The idea is that the blocks stacked on top must have their edges lining up with those grid lines or with the edge of the block beneath.

In this photo, you can see how the block is actually bridging three blocks beneath it, with half over one block (gray up) and two quarters over two other blocks (yellow and light blue up). You can see how all the base level blocks fit together legally.

I hope that helps.

Sorry, but your explanation is still pretty poor. What block? are you referring to that is bridging one half of gray and quarters of yellow and light blue? Is it the dark blue block in the lower right quarter??Can you tell us the colour of the block that is doing this? Thank you. You could have also provided a clearer photo, the one you present is extremely small. Don't you have a better picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
May be splitting hairs, but "out of play" and "out of the game" is the same to me. What you described is "setting aside for now."

I have to tell you, your rules book is written pretty poorly for what is suppose to be a simple game playing instruction.

You mention in the rules that the purple pawn might have to move differently than the others ... but there is no further explanation about this pawn and why this is so? Is it because there are no blocks with purple sides?? This is only a guess ... but that's all I could come up with because you don't explain anything.

You have to rewrite these rules and get someone else *who is a computer programmer) to do it for you. They tend to think and write logically and consider all variants rather than leaving things up the the reader to fill in the blanks.

Have you noticed that in the Dice Tower review of the game they suggest that you can use a ladder on a subsequent turn to move your pawn to a higher level block. I thought you could do this all on one turn ... that seems to be what the rules states, but it appears they may have misread the rules. They also imply that you can only either move a block with the same side up to a different spot OR flip its side and leave it in the same spot. It doesn't state this in the rulebook. The rule book implies you can move and put a block any side up on your turn. Who is right? I can't believe I got this game and read the rules and listened to multiple videos and still have no clue as to how to properly play this game.wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I'm confused by the confusion of Dave.

Quote:
When stacking blocks, quarter-block spaces on both blocks must match up, if the surface edges do not.
This rule, along with its illustration, is sufficiently clear if somewhat abreviated. I would flesh it out like this: When one block covers another (whether side-to-side or bottom-to-top), the blocks may only cover one another in quarter-square increments, not in increments between quarter-square sizes like 1/3 or 4/5. The "square," of course, is any surface of the cube referred to in the rules. But as Mark said, there wasn't enough room to print all this out.

Quote:
You mention in the rules that the purple pawn might have to move differently than the others ... but there is no further explanation about this pawn and why this is so? Is it because there are no blocks with purple sides?? This is only a guess ... but that's all I could come up with because you don't explain anything.
You own this game, right, Dave?
Quote:
I can't believe I got this game and read the rules...
So then, you know that every block in this game (other than the 2 triple cubes) has 1 purple surface on it according to the contents list on page 2, right?
The purple climber is not mentioned in the rules section of the booklet, but rather in the Strategies section. That's because it's a strategy hint, not a rule. You may have to alter your strategy if you use this climber. I suggest that if the purple climber is used, let that player go first. Mark does explain nearly everything, and that right well.

Quote:
Have you noticed that in the Dice Tower review of the game they suggest that you can use a ladder on a subsequent turn to move your pawn to a higher level block... but it appears they may have misread the rules.
Yeah, they did. But you knew that, Dave, because you read the rules, eh?

Quote:
They [Dice Tower] also imply that you can only either move a block with the same side up to a different spot OR flip its side and leave it in the same spot. It doesn't state this in the rulebook. The rule book implies you can move and put a block any side up on your turn. Who is right?
Once again DT is wrong and the rules are right. The rules explicitly state (not imply) on page 5:
Quote:
You may move any block that doesn't have a climber, blocking stone, or another block on top of it, and put it in a new location with any side up or simply rotate it in the same location.
Emphasis is mine. This looks pretty clear to me. But you already knew all this, Dave, because you have read the rules, n'est-ce pas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, No need to get snarky, eh. Dice Towers usually does a pretty good job covering games and appear (based on your comments) to have got multiple rules wrong in their video presentation of the game.

... it could be that the rules weren't written very well ??? ... n'est-ce pas. I have made multiple comments on multiple games on BGG and have never had so much confusion over game rules for a game... so again I re-interate that they could have done a better job on Climbers.

Apart from my comments above... thanks for your clarification on multiple points ... I might get the courage up to try the game out one more time before I give up and trade it away ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Dear Dave,

Please accept my apology for posting a thoroughly "snarky" reply. I myself would not have wanted to receive so sarcastic and high-handed a response as that. I should not have shoved it in your face. I see that it was posted on 9/18/2012. This was the day before I was to start a new job after 3 years, 9 months of unemployment. I had very grave doubts about my ability to keep this job and, after almost 6 months, I still have doubts. But I have been shown much mercy in return for the mercilessness I showed you. Please forgive me.

While the ruleset for The Climbers is no model of clarity, I would still rate it at 8 or 8.5 out of 10. We may have to disagree about this. I'm glad that you have not yet given up on it. Surely it is a thing of beauty -- physically, and I hate giving up on a beautiful thing just because there's a little space between the ears.

Oeco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.