Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the Factions expansion, and I have supported it on Kickstarter. I read the draft rules you posted, and they sound like a lot of fun, but the 5-player Colonist Hub rules seem a little convoluted. I just thought I'd ask... have you given any thought to possibly squeezing a 1-inch by 8-inch Colonist Hub extension onto the punchboard to provide a fifth colonist track and do away with that entire section of rules? I wouldn't mind sliding an extension piece against the bottom of the board.

Thanks for listening,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it would be fine with a (future) 6-player expansion to bring a new (or alternative) board for 5 and 6 players meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot speak for Tory, but I personally did not really consider expanding the Colonist Hub. I see it as a metaphor* for an overcrowded party. Just because more people show up to the party doesn't mean the birthday cake grows in size, ya know? The partygoers have got to take smaller pieces or fight for the bigger slice.

The rules as "re-written" in AF:Factions are really no different from the original rules...you're still only allowed to have three ships docked at the hub, you're still only allowed to have one colony per player working the tracks, you're still required to launch from the seventh circle (or to at least have docked enough ships to get you there) and pay the required resources. The only "change" was to clarify that the ships you dock do not need to be in the same line as the track your colony is on.

A change I think ought to be explored is to have a SINLGE track and players then have to dock enough ships to hopscotch over any colonies in their way. That could be frustrating, indeed! Or you could build in a couple of "double spots" just to make it a touch easier...

BTW, this is the second post in a row where I've used the word "metaphor". Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can sign on to the overcrowding logic. Now that I think about it, I guess it's silly for me to expect 100% unfettered access to the Colonist Hub when every other orbital station is going to be more crowded in a 5-player game and they're not getting extra docking ports. Thanks for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
I personally did not really consider expanding the Colonist Hub. I see it as a metaphor* for an overcrowded party. Just because more people show up to the party doesn't mean the birthday cake grows in size, ya know? The partygoers have got to take smaller pieces or fight for the bigger slice.

BTW, this is the second post in a row where I've used the word "metaphor". Weird.

You can thank me for your metaphor, David. :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so in a 5 player game, if all tracks have a colony on it being built, the 5th player cant use the hub at all until one of the tracks clears (and the player that cleared it doesnt immediately add another)? or are the advancement spots limited, but somehow all 5 players CAN have a colony somewhere in the mix? seems harsh, as the colony hub has always been the most basic way to reliably launch a colony, and a good consolation prize for die that cant be used better elsewhere (though faction boards make unused die have more options...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's not it. All five players can have a colony on the Hub. Colonies can move from track to track as needed to find an open space at the correct distance from the docks. The only limit is that each player cannot have more than three ships there at a time and there are only 12 total dock. So, if four players each dock three ships there THEN the fifth player cannot dock there. But if there's even one dock open he can use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if 4 players each have a single colony on the first spot, and the 5th player wants to start a colony and has a single die to use. Can he do so or is slot 1 full with 4 colonies? (Ie: can you have 5 colonies all at same exact slot on track or no?) Would having 2 dice even change things if no, since each due is really a separate placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
What if 4 players each have a single colony on the first spot, and the 5th player wants to start a colony and has a single die to use. Can he do so or is slot 1 full with 4 colonies? (Ie: can you have 5 colonies all at same exact slot on track or no?)

In this first question, no, the fifth player would be unable to start a colony with only 1 ship if all of the first circles were occupied.

flamejuggler wrote:
Would having 2 dice even change things if no, since each due is really a separate placement?

In this second question, yes, if all of the first circles were occupied and the fifth player docked two ships at the colonist hub then they could place their colony token on a second circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.