Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com

This game seems like an advanced version of Through the Desert which variable winning conditions.

Yes, I know I haven't played the game yet, but I was wondering...

Any chance you have a luck free variant, Donald?

Perhaps you could set out one or two of each terrain cards and you simply draw an unused one. You then return the card after your turn and take a different one -- never taking the same card back to your hand.

Perhaps there could be two less cards of each terrain type per player: so in a 4 player game, no more than 2 players could be holding the same type of terrain at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

This is a weird question to direct at me. If I thought a variant was better than the rules, the variant would be the rules. If I thought a variant was worth playing sometimes, the game would incorporate it somehow. Luck is great; that luck is there on purpose.

Now, someone else's games, there I could help you. When you're playing Apples to Apples, just use nouns. Flip over a noun; everyone picks a noun to try to be picked as a match for it. Much more interesting. No, don't thank me. I'm just doing my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
donaldx wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

This is a weird question to direct at me. If I thought a variant was better than the rules, the variant would be the rules. If I thought a variant was worth playing sometimes, the game would incorporate it somehow. Luck is great; that luck is there on purpose.

I asked because sometimes that is not the case. Publishers often make changes that a designer may or may not always agree with. Queen, for example, usually offers light to medium weight games targeted at families, whereas a luck-free variant would make the game much heavier and not so family friendly. Given their market, it would make sense to me why they might change your game had it originally been free of luck.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
I asked because sometimes that is not the case. Publishers often make changes that a designer may or may not always agree with.

Well really, I pride myself on my honesty, but I am not going to go around saying how a game company messed up my game. That just sounds like "hey maybe I am done being a game designer" to me. So again, I am not the guy to talk to about variants.

Queen did make some changes to the game, and I list them in a Secret History that I'll post close to the game's release. You can evaluate these things for yourself then, but I think people will tend to agree with them! And they suggested some things that I argued against and which didn't make it. They actually added a family variant at one point, then took it back out after they tried the regular game with kids. And drawing a random terrain was in the game when Queen first saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Now, someone else's games, there I could help you. When you're playing Apples to Apples, just use nouns. Flip over a noun; everyone picks a noun to try to be picked as a match for it. Much more interesting. No, don't thank me. I'm just doing my part.

I'd like to hear more about this Apples to Apples variant. Care to explain it a little more? I am confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
donaldx wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this Apples to Apples variant. Care to explain it a little more? I am confused.

I think you just use red cards instead of green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Neo42 wrote:

Normally you flip over an adjective, and then the players try to match it with nouns from their hands.

For this variant, you flip over a noun, and then the players try to match it with nouns from their hands. You don't use the adjectives. You try to think of ways that the nouns relate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Luck is great; that luck is there on purpose.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kil vati
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was also a bit worried about the luck factor, but after playing this game a few times, I think this the risk managment is a big part of the game. Not only think about your current turn, but also try to building in such a manner that all terrain card will help you in the next turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a couple of games tonight. The last one we played we agreed to have two cards in hand instead of one. Play one and replace. Two of us liked it and thought the game was improved by it. The third of us was neutral about it and didn't think it was necessarily better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rampantdragon wrote:
We played a couple of games tonight. The last one we played we agreed to have two cards in hand instead of one. Play one and replace. Two of us liked it and thought the game was improved by it. The third of us was neutral about it and didn't think it was necessarily better.

I once suggested a hand of tiles for carccasonne (sp?) but people on the forums thought it would be a bad idea so I didn't try it. And since then I have decided that I agree with them as I have played a lot of the game since then with regular rules. As Donald said above the luck of what you get is intentional so I'll play with regular rules here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game a handful of times now and really dig it. Great variety, and the end-game civilizations just look cool.

Donald, I'd love to see that secret history. Has it already been published? I searched but couldn't find it...

EDIT: Found it!

(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/722955/the-secret-histor...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.