Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some doubts about the timing of discards, which became problematic with the Fido flare Wild effect.

Are Reinforcements (or other cards played as Reinforcements i.e. Reserve's power) discarded immediately when played, or do they remain "in play" with the encounter cards to be discarded at the end of Resolution?

What order are the encounter cards (and possible Reinforcement depending on above ruling) discarded? Is the offense card discarded first, or can the offense choose the order of the discards, or something else?

The player with the Fido flare wanted the worst encounter card on top and we weren't sure if the Offense could decide which card ends up on top and if he could even put a reinforcement on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only guidance we are given is that the FAQ says that the defense's Encounter card is placed on top of the offense's Encounter card. I take the view that outside of this, the discards can be placed on the pile in any order after the Encounter cards have been placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, though it's not necessarily a bad answer, I find it to be another reason to FUQ the FAQ. I've always played (and will most likely continue to do so), that all cards to be discarded are discarded at the end of the encounter, and they're all considered to be "on top" at that time. Any of this group could be grabbed by Space Junk or otherwise used by an effect that takes the top card from the discard pile - if played at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Fido doesn't happen when they are discarded, but could happen during the next encounter before anything else is discarded. Are you suggesting that all of these cards are considered "on top" until some other card is discarded, thus letting the Wild Fido fetch whichever he likes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Only when it's at the time the cards are discarded. Once that's over, it's too late to select from among them. However, I have no definitive answer for you as to what order to put them in the discard pile.

A few possibilities:
1. Random: mix 'em up and then discard them.
2. Use the Timing Rule order. (But then what happens if a player is discarding multiple cards?)
3. Use the Timing Rule order, and each player chooses the order of their own discards.
4. Use the Timing Rule order, and multiple discards from one player are in random order.
5. Players may individually discard their cards in whatever order they like, and only use the Timing Rule if there is a conflict.
6. Discard all cards in the order played - use the Timing Rule for cards played simultaneously.
7. Discard all cards in the order played - randomly stacking ones played simultaneously.
8. Or something else...

AFAIK, there isn't any official order to the discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
all cards to be discarded are discarded at the end of the encounter, and they're all considered to be "on top" at that time.

I've never heard that interpretation before, but I like it. If I remember it, I'll use it as a house rule from now on.

We always just played free for all discarding. Whatever order people throw stuff on the pile is the order it sits there. In the rare case where there is disagreement, you can use the timing rule I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All cards are discarded at once during Resolution. If the particular order matters, any player may request it be done in timing conflict rules order for placement on the discard pile.

Official? I don't know, but it follows the spirit of the rules at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.