Hide
1 Posts

Blizzard of '77 Travel Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Just played for the 1st time. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bubba smith
msg tools
I am a Buffalo native, born 10 months before the Blizzard of 77. When I was growing up I remember my Grandparents had a copy of this game in their play room. My sisters and I would open it up and play with the wooden cars. We weren't old enough to understand the rules or patient enough to play a game.

I recently acquired a near mint copy of the game from eBay. Tonight I sat down with friends and played for the first time.

Three of us started out with what I thought were a well shuffled deck of cards. When the 3rd person rolled they landed on a Weather space and the card they picked up had us instantly flipping the board.

On the blizzard side, we all kept landing back at the gas station, and one of our gamers continually rolled the number 6, which is a direct line to a Blizzard card space. We took the skid spaces with drifting movements of our wooden pieces and made noises as we slid them along. We laughed at how slow the game seems to progress, but anyone who has been in a snow storm will tell you, that is the reality of the situation.

We spent a total of 40 (or so) minutes crawling around the Blizzard side of the game board. Thanks to the help of the Blizzard cards I was able to get 3 of the 5 orange cards. A few lucky rolls allowed me to get the missing 2. I then headed for home and some how rolled the 4 I needed to get in.

After waiting more than 30 years to play this game I was happy to have been the winner.

We found the game to be really fun and pretty easy to pick up and play. A few things had us question unwritten rules but nothing that lasted more than 5-10 seconds worth of debating. We are considering adapting the rules for quicker game play by allowing cards to be drawn just by passing the card squares, instead of landing on them.

My only concern for our next gaming session is the age of the pieces and cards. I would like to keep them as near mint as possible which may limit who I allow to enjoy this game with me.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.