25 Posts

Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Why are second-hand Netrunner cards so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I could sell my NR cards at the prices in the list above (BGG and eBay) I could buy a car with the proceeds. Yet ... the list has been the same for months (so perhaps the prices are a little too high?).

Is there a real buy/trade market for NR anywhere?

NB: This isn't a disguised advertisment for selling NR cards - I would trade or buy only, but at USD 50+ for a starter pack of two decks I can't imagine doing either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just got into Netrunner and been buying cards recently and my experience is that prices can vary a lot.

I bought sealed starter decks at $22 (about £14) on eBay which seemed a very reasonable price. An opened starter deck cost me £7. A collection of over 1,000 cards (including about 60 rares) went on eBay last week for £75. I'd say those are competitive prices.

Right now there's close on a full box of boosters (34 packs) on eBay with the bidding at $75. Even if it gets to $100, that's still less than $3 a booster. OTOH, theres someone trying to sell 400 cards for $300 (no bids).

It's just a case of staying patient and finding the sales which look like value, or which get you the spread of cards you want at a price you're willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which all makes me soooooo glad I bought thus gem of a game when it was 8$ on the shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Dundon
England
wakefield
flag msg tools
mb
I'm currently rekindling my love for NetRunner and have to agree that the price for cards seems to have no stable value.

I picked up two complete Starters in the last week or so for around £9 on ebay. I watched an auction for 100 common/uncommons go for £51.

I just won the bid for the box of boosters for $75

A quick look round on ebay shows a wide variety of prices.

I'm just trying to bulk up my starters for a spread of cards.

I just wish I hadn't trashed my collection from years gone by, but then how was I to know I'd be bitten by the NR bug yet again.

Mick (Dog)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Lovelace
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got into it when it was available and then a few years lated bought a booster box for like $15. i pulled the game out today and tought someone and let them know i got some cheap... then i looked at the current prices... i dont think im going to have any new players anytime soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
gyc365 wrote:
Is there a real buy/trade market for NR anywhere?

I have some cards I'm interested in trading, as well as some others that I am looking for, but I'll have to go through what I have and come up with a list, which might take a few days. Isn't there also a buying/trading section on the Netrunner Online forums?

As to the OP's question, I think the simple answer is that there just aren't that many people selling Netrunner cards. While there also aren't that many people looking to buy them any more, the small supplier base has allowed the prices to get pretty high. Oh, and as was mentioned above, your best bet is waiting for the more reasonably priced auctions that do come around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read this and thought--heck, what are the chances I'll ever play this game again, now that my opponent is across the country?

Is it kosher to offer stuff for sale in a forum thread? (I am, of course, happy to give BGG its cut...) Anyway, I have a decent collection with a few hundred cards and some Proteus. I was skeptical of trying eBay, since everything there is: 1) absurdly expensive, and 2) never bid on. I was afraid an auction of an entire collection might slip through the cracks, and I wouldn't get much. Does anyone have any experience recently, on either the buying or selling side?

If there really still is a market, I figure much of it lives here on BGG. Should I PM folks, or just stick something in the Marketplace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I just bought a collection here that was listed in the Marketplace. It was a painless, pleasant transaction, but that generally has everything to do with the buyer/seller. What were you looking to find out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Rensch
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
I am the one people warn you about.
badge
Lord of Dorkness
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested as I would like to get rid of around 3k of the cards. Do I have to list each one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The seller I bought from didn't list everything, but that was possible due to the nature of what was in the lot. It included 2-6 copies of every Common and Vital, 1 or more (mostly 2+) copies of every Uncommon, and then listed the total number of Rares, and how many were unique. This obviously meant way less typing to list everything. However, the seller did have a spreadsheet with a complete breakdown available, and I ended up asking to see it.

The unfortunate reality is that for the money you are likely to ask for a large lot of cards, virtually every buyer is going to want a detailed breakdown. I have a lot of cards from multiple games that I'd like to get rid of, too, but I mostly haven't thus far because of what a pain it is to go through every card. It gets particularly bad when you start talking about large-ish (1000+ card) lots worth less than $50 - my time is simply worth more than that to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
The unfortunate reality is that for the money you are likely to ask for a large lot of cards, virtually every buyer is going to want a detailed breakdown.

I doubt that. Most semi-regular NR players have enough commons and uncommons to get by. It's the rares that are hard to come by, because there's essentially no market for NR singles - only a few rares are listed on eBay and for very high prices. I've bought several lots that only specifically listed the rares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Rensch
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
I am the one people warn you about.
badge
Lord of Dorkness
mbmbmbmbmb
I will likely just toss them when I run out of room on my gaming shelf or see if a friend wants them.

One of my main problem is that I had six decks built, three for each side and they got damaged in unlikely water situation so there went a number of my rares. My main body of cards were fine, just the decks. In some ways, I wish it was reversed because then I could sell decks rather easily as they had my powerful rare cards in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tppytel wrote:
I doubt that. Most semi-regular NR players have enough commons and uncommons to get by. It's the rares that are hard to come by, because there's essentially no market for NR singles - only a few rares are listed on eBay and for very high prices. I've bought several lots that only specifically listed the rares.

I know what you're saying, but why would you want to restrict yourself only to existing hardcore players as your potential buyers? There seems to be an upsurge in potential players around who do not already have stacks and stacks cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another cheap solution which you can get a full deck for 12 dollars or so, is using artscows.com to print your cards. While Im not completely sure how legal/ilegal is , so Im just saying it, not fully recommend-endorse it.

ANYWAY here are 2 links to 2 netrunner cards list (64 per list) that I uploaded and edited (took me long time...) which are COMPLETELY LEGAL to buy them, its the Open Wars fan-made free expansion

http://www.artscow.com/ClientDesigner/Designer.aspx?DesignId...

enjoyy

ps. sadly not all cards made it there, sorry :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frizzler
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

speaking about printing Netrunner cards yourself:
I have two ready-to-print pdf files containing the cards from a real starter (Runner+Corp). Including deck list proposals, trimmed to the best 45 cards.
I will mail these files (7 MB each) exclusively to players who played an online game with me (through Gccg or Magic Workstation).

SeeYa, Frizzler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vonkhades wrote:
Another cheap solution which you can get a full deck for 12 dollars or so, is using artscows.com to print your cards. While Im not completely sure how legal/ilegal is , so Im just saying it, not fully recommend-endorse it.

ANYWAY here are 2 links to 2 netrunner cards list (64 per list) that I uploaded and edited (took me long time...) which are COMPLETELY LEGAL to buy them, its the Open Wars fan-made free expansion

enjoyy

ps. sadly not all cards made it there, sorry :S

hi i saw your link, and didn't know before this site .. is it yours ?
did you gain any money on this ?
I am the friend of playful EE ( the person who designed open war) and i am a member of the NRO ruling team with Frizzler and others who balanced the expansion )
we made it to be completely free and do not want that anybody gain money on this ... the second pb is that WOTC don't want to ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course not! Its free for everyone who wants to use it, the only person who makes money with it is the owner of artscows

you can try your self and see how it works, its a good way to get your custom cards printed in first class materials... the only problem is that this company ship from the US so it takes a lot of time to receive. as soon I get my cards Ill post some pictures of them here so you guys can check the quality.

btw I wanted to add, that wormhole surfer is THE MOST important contributor to the netrunner community (or the most active), just to everybody knows, so thank you Ludovic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my cards from artcows!! It was a great deal... 22$ for 54 runner and 54 corp OPEN WAR cards they look nice check the pictures.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129851/netrunner
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129853/netrunner
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129855/netrunner
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129856/netrunner
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129858/netrunner
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1129859/netrunner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vonkhades wrote:
Of course not! Its free for everyone who wants to use it, the only person who makes money with it is the owner of artscows

you can try your self and see how it works, its a good way to get your custom cards printed in first class materials... the only problem is that this company ship from the US so it takes a lot of time to receive. as soon I get my cards Ill post some pictures of them here so you guys can check the quality.

btw I wanted to add, that wormhole surfer is THE MOST important contributor to the netrunner community (or the most active), just to everybody knows, so thank you Ludovic.

^^ Thanks a lot, it makes me glad ^^ but it is not really big efforts to me since that game is all my life ^^

I'm actually not as active as i used to be ... many things in my life actually but be sure that my I.A. will be rerezzed soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vonkhades wrote:

Only 54 cards for each side ? the set is 63 each ...

Yes the cards looks nice but the price is quite expensive i think ... the real interests compared to a self print is that i guess the paper used is rigid and the back is printed, and yes it is true we gain time ( coz cut cards is very very very long)

Is there a possibility to make a selection on the printing ? I mean that if i already have the set print and just need some cards to put in my deck can i just print X copies of a cards ?

How can i do ?
Where can i check the price for printing and shipping on this site ?

THX

WHS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ohh one last thing, i advise everybody that it is risky to spend many money on printing very good quality and many copies of virtual cards at this time just because Virtual expansion are "flexible" .

When we released OW in september 2010 we realised that some cards needed to be fixed and that's we did.When we prepared the last World Domination we also noticed that some cards were still broken ( nathan ruel valten was banned... and still need to be modified ...)and now we are still in discuss to finish balancing the cards because we relized in the World Domination that some cards were powerfull ( only a few) and MANY were underpowered ( a lot !)

So we are actually with Playfull modifiying some text and we will release "official errata " asap .

So you could play with "old" OW cards but you nedd to have in this case a file near you when you play with the new text, but i suggests to play with latest version, it is just better so sorry for all that already printed OW cards ( i'm in too )

In fact all further virtual expansion will follow the same scheme :

1 release of expansion, the modification on cards that are unbalanced in a first sight.

2 organizing a big event to play the new expansion and little modif' if needed

3 after the event if some problem are still there ( i hope not if we made good job on 1 and 2) we will still need to errate some cards .

So we can say that an expansion is "definitive" after point 3 i estimate this one little year after the point 1 .

Please forgive me once again because i promised that the latest expansion "Deep run" will be released now wome months ago just after the World Domination but as i said many things arrived in my life and coul'nt find time ( yeah i know uploading a file isn't time consuming but ...) to release it so i do'nt promise a date but it should arrive soon ( we took that time will Playfull to balanced some cards in DR )

The next Virtual expansion called " Cybertech" should arrive between the next French National and the Next WD around March i think so stay tuned

After Cybertech, there will be 2 other virtual expansion designed by playful :

Netlinks
Hardcode

and a new one his actully in a design process

Playfull is still actually correcting, balancing and ARTing ! the "old" virtual expansion Chrysalid Matrix and Winterdawn, you'll see it is wonderfull .

So many work to do, so many good things to arrive, even if the game is "commercialy dead" we possess it as long as we don't make profit on releasing cards the game will still be alive for fans !! soo jack in guys, print your cards and play in real life !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wormhole surfer wrote:

Is there a possibility to make a selection on the printing ? I mean that if i already have the set print and just need some cards to put in my deck can i just print X copies of a cards ?

The thing is they are 54 cards because its a standard diamond-spaces-trbol-hearts deck so its 13x4 + 2 (jacks) = 54 cards that you can customize!!

Yes is possible to make a selection on printing! You can add your images
for both the front and back customized...

so lets say you can print 54 corp cards in the front and 54 runner cards in the back, any number of copies of each, ... you just need to select and copy the image of the card to the empty templates as many times you want .

wormhole surfer wrote:

How can i do ?

1. go into artscow and create your account , this is just to save your design in your account so you can share them or work on them later on.

2. select the product "multi purpouse cards rectangle"
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/card/multi-purpose-cards-... and hit on "create it" to create the design.

3. a window should open with some sort of designer that you will figure out to use... basicallly you need to upload your images to artcows server thru this app, and then drag&drop ..

IMPORTANT: for this you must have the "Silver light" plug installed in your browser (its like flash, or java plugin).

4. save your designs and order them!!!

5. SHARE THEM WITH UUUUUUS

the only problem you might find is that you cannot order more or less than 54 cards on each "multi purpouse cards rectangle" product you select, the price for this is 10.99 dollars for each set.

Final recomendation... search on internet for artcows COUPONS! There are plenty for free shipping or 20% off on the final price, which combined with the the double sided idead of 54corpx54runner should be nice.!!!!

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vonkhades wrote:
wormhole surfer wrote:

The thing is they are 54 cards because its a standard diamond-spaces-trbol-hearts deck so its 13x4 + 2 (jacks) = 54 cards that you can customize!!

Yes is possible to make a selection on printing! You can add your images
for both the front and back customized...

so lets say you can print 54 corp cards in the front and 54 runner cards in the back, any number of copies of each, ... you just need to select and copy the image of the card to the empty templates as many times you want .

wormhole surfer wrote:

How can i do ?

1. go into artscow and create your account , this is just to save your design in your account so you can share them or work on them later on.

2. select the product "multi purpouse cards rectangle"
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/card/multi-purpose-cards-... and hit on "create it" to create the design.

3. a window should open with some sort of designer that you will figure out to use... basicallly you need to upload your images to artcows server thru this app, and then drag&drop ..

IMPORTANT: for this you must have the "Silver light" plug installed in your browser (its like flash, or java plugin).

4. save your designs and order them!!!

5. SHARE THEM WITH UUUUUUS

the only problem you might find is that you cannot order more or less than 54 cards on each "multi purpouse cards rectangle" product you select, the price for this is 10.99 dollars for each set.

Final recomendation... search on internet for artcows COUPONS! There are plenty for free shipping or 20% off on the final price, which combined with the the double sided idead of 54corpx54runner should be nice.!!!!

Enjoy.

ok i think i've understand . TY !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have failed in getting my MTG friends excited about this game, and am throwing in the towel. For a couple of months, I actually got to play this wonderful game, and it is still my favorite CCG, but it's time to throw in the towel and put it all up on eBay. Arg arg arg arg arg arg arg.

Sorry, had to vent a bit here. I enjoy Magic and all, but why oh why can't more people play this?

[mutters to self, walking off into the sunset]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frizzler
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I have failed in getting my MTG friends excited about this game, and am throwing in the towel. For a couple of months, I actually got to play this wonderful game, and it is still my favorite CCG, but it's time to throw in the towel and put it all up on eBay. Arg arg arg arg arg arg arg.

Sorry, had to vent a bit here. I enjoy Magic and all, but why oh why can't more people play this?

[mutters to self, walking off into the sunset]

Hi Tom,

I absolutely share your feelings and experiences about this game. In my local gaming group, two players recently tried Netrunner and they liked it. However, nobody wants to play it on a regular basis because they prefer to play the games that they are accustomed to...
Anyway, if online gaming is an option for you, I can offer you an online Netrunner game through Magic Workstation or Gccg.

SeeYa, Frizzler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.