United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a game night, and had one of the best games of BSG I've had in awhile. We had a new player, but he's very smart and analytical (he's a science teacher), and he's experienced in playing Mafia/Werewolf, so he at least had the deduction and reading people thing down already. He also rolled high and ended up as the first player.

Among the others, there were three guys playing who only have a handful of games under their belts, but who have only ever been Cylons. Since there were three of them, and we were playing the six player official No Sympathizer variant, at least one of them would necessarily see what it's like to be a Human. In the group, I have had the most games, and I have the lowest Cylon rate. I had been a Cylon four times out of about fifteen games, and I had never been a Cylon from the start.

The crew was formed as:

Adama (the new player)
Apollo (had played 4 games, Cylon all 4 games)
Roslin (had played 3 games, Cylon all 3 games)
Starbuck (had played 4 games, Cylon all 4 games)
Tigh (had played about six games, Cylon 3 of those)
Baltar (me)

For the first time ever, I drew a Cylon Loyalty card. You are a Cylon - can send someone to Sickbay. I felt my face turn red, because I have a terrible poker face, but luckily nobody noticed.

I've always planned to really slow play it as a Cylon from the beginning, but to make sure it's known that there is a Cylon aboard before Sleeper and that somebody isn't to be trusted. Unfortunately, most of my spiking opportunities were with Engineering, so I simply abstained. Eventually a crisis came up with Leadership as a negative color. I dropped in a 4 - Declare Emergency that I had been hanging onto for awhile, and although we still passed the check, barely, when it came up, it was one of two negative cards, so there was no certainty of foul play.

However, on the next check, the Humans decided to tank it, and it luckily revealed two Leadership cards in Destiny. This meant that the big negative in the previous check had to had come from one of the crew members. The seeds of distrust were planted in the crew, and since every single character playing draws Leadership, nobody had any distinct leads. Of course, being Baltar, some suspicion was cast upon me, but nothing more than hypothetical at this point.

We continued on our journey, and our inexperienced Admiral was picking things up just fine. We made it through the first two jump cycles really quickly, with nearly every Crisis giving us jump prep, and few hitting our resources since I was reluctant to spike. I put out a few feelers to see if I had a teammate, but either he wasn't taking the bait or he hadn't realized he was a Cylon yet. I needed to wait until Sleeper to make my move.

Around this time, Tigh starts to become more and more suspicious of me, since I hadn't been playing too much into skill checks, and we got a Crisis that had me choosing between a skill check, or me just discarding four cards randomly. I really didn't want to, but in order to prove my loyalty, I didn't and ended up dropping all of my high cards. I don't remember them exactly, but it was something like a Scientific Research, Strategic Planning, Investigative Committee, and a Consolidate Power. Since my three big cards were gone, I was upset, and tried to blame Tigh for coercing me into dropping some really helpful cards.

Once my first turn after sleeper came around, I was determined to find my teammate. Roslin, sitting across from me, also does not have a particularly good poker face, and since she was President, I had good reason to use my Cylon Detector on her.

Lo and behold, Roslin was holding You are a Cylon - Can send someone to the Brig. I informed the group that we didn't have to worry about our civilian leadership, and that all future scrutiny should be on our military leaders. Some brought up the possibility that both Roslin and I were Cylons, but nobody made any hard accusations. Of course, at this point, both Cylons knew who they were, and while Humans had their suspicions, none were certain.

On Roslin's turn, she played Assign Vice President on me, which Tigh and Starbuck both called suspicious, but we explained that since I announced Roslin human, I was the only person she could trust. This statement wasn't untrue, to be fair.

The suspicion was thick around the table, but luckily for us, Starbuck made a mistake, taking some heat off of us. She scouted the Destination deck and buried the top card after Apollo had already done so and left it on top. I took the opportunity to point out that either Apollo was a Cylon for leaving a bad Destination on top, or Starbuck was a Cylon for burying a good one.

It didn't help Starbuck's case that on her turn, she intentionally spiked a check whose fail condition let her send somebody to the Brig. She was still (rightfully) suspicious of me, so she chose me. Since she didn't announce her intentions, though, the rest of the crew wasted cards trying to pass that check, which had them fuming.

With Starbuck's Insubordination and Tigh's Cylon Hatred, we made sure that Starbuck joined me in the Brig, but we also made sure the Humans wasted too many cards--we ended up with eleven on a strength 1 skill check.

At this point I was feeling pretty good. Food was our lowest resource, and we controlled the Presidency, so we controlled the food situation. Unfortunately for us, Tigh's Crisis just after brigging Starbuck allowed him to look at one random Loyalty Card. He chose me and I nonchalantly splayed out my three cards, glad that he only had a 33% chance of seeing my Cylon card.

"Mother frakker!" Tigh exclaimed. Just my luck. We had the humans convinced that Starbuck was a Cylon, and Tigh got lucky and found me out. By association, Roslin looked guilty as well. Not all was lost, though. We had a Quorum hand with an Arrest Order or two in it, along with Roslin's reveal power. I just needed an Executive Order to get Roslin to brig some people and potentially pass the Presidency off to me on my turn, and I drew... a Declare Emergency.

In the Brig without an XO, there wasn't much I could do but launch a scout, and revel in the fact that the Raptor crashed and burned. On Adama's turn, he sent an XO to Tigh to move the Presidency, and on Apollo's turn, he sent an XO to Adama to play an Arrest Order on Roslin. In just a few short turns, we went from being hidden and in power to being stripped of titles and brigged. On Roslin's turn, she used her once-per-game to use a Presidential Pardon on me, but another quick XO to Adama got the second Arrest Order played on me, and I was back in the Brig before I could get another turn.

At this point, we decided to cut our losses and reveal. No reveal powers for either of us, and I drew the Supercrisis that puts two Centurions on the boarding track, while Roslin drew Inbound Nukes.

The humans were at eight distance, and I considered not even using my Supercrisis, since they only needed a few more jump icons to jump the ship at -3 Population, but I rolled the hard six and went with it. To my surprise, Adama and Tigh both agreed to tank it, despite that they are both strong in Leadership and Tactics. Although the Armory was damaged, they didn't think it was a huge deal, since they were so close to jumping to victory.

At this point, it seemed like a surefire Human victory, with Kobol almost close enough to touch. Bad luck hit the Humans like a ton of bricks though, and on Adama's turn and Apollo's turn, they got Heavy Raider activation with no jump prep, making it actually viable for us to go for a Boarding Party victory. Roslin activated Heavy Raiders and brought the two Centurions one away from the Humans Lose space.

Starbuck was still in the Brig, and I explained that if they didn't get her out and get a crisis with a jump icon, they were doomed. On her brig escape attempt, she got to 6, and declared an emergency to get out. Now, all they needed was jump prep, and Tigh could jump the humans out of there and safely to Kobol on his turn.

CYLON ATTACK! I nearly jumped out of my chair in excitement. Starbuck had been saving her once-per-game ability, and she canceled the attack. It all came down to the next skill card draw. After building up a good amount of suspense, she flipped the Crisis card.

No jump prep. I was ecstatic. We continued with the motions, knowing full well that it would be another Cylon victory. When my turn came around, I activated the Heavy Raiders in order to have two Centurions march on Galactica and vent the oxygen into space. Game over, Cylons win!

Only after the game did we realize that the Quorum hand had two Authorization of Brutal Forces, and if the President (Tigh at that point, due to some crisis stripping it from Adama) had realized this, an XO could have nuked both Centurions without any trouble.

Still, this was the first face to face game I've had that wasn't either a Human victory, or a Cylon victory by way of resources. My favorite part was when we had the other humans convinced that Starbuck was the evildoer, and it would have played out much differently had Tigh not found me out. We were in great shape, then in just a few short turns we had no chance, but then by some profound luck, we pulled it out in the end.

After a Cylon fistbump, we packed the game away, and all talked about how it was much higher energy than usual. I cannot wait to play again, and I think our new player enjoyed it just as much, even though he lost in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good job! Everyone remembers their first time as a cylon

Why did everyone immediately trust Tigh? I think you could have spun the chances of Tigh randomly picking your cylon card from a 1 in 3 was low and that he was lying to try and get you in the brig. Thats the best part about looking at other people's loyalty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In hindsight, I should have done that. I think Starbuck would have taken Tigh's side, but Adama and Apollo would have been just as confused as before.

Ah, and to clarify, this wasn't the first time I had ever been a Cylon, but the first time I had ever been one at the start. Three times I've been a sleeper agent, and one time I was handed off an excess Loyalty card from a double-Cylon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Roman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylons in the brig don't get super crisises?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
spelledaren wrote:
Cylons in the brig don't get super crisises?

Becoming a Cylon by execution does not get you a super crisis.

The Brig only prevents you from using the reveal power. You can perform the action: on the loyalty card, but the action does not do much when you're in the brig (there is "if you're not in the brig" requirement in the action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.