Subject: Interception and Champion status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere.

I understand that if a Champion intercepts another Champion on land that he is considered the defender, therefore not hostile and will not lose Champion status if a battle ensues, and that neither loses Champion status if the moving army backs up so that no battle ensues. However, I don't understand what the implications for the moving player are if he decides not to back up and battle ensues. If the intercepter is the defender I presume that makes the moving Champion the attacker, but he didn't enter that space with the intent of attacking. Does the moving player lose his Champion status in the ensuing battle (meaning his only option to preserve it is to back up, even though he might never have intended an attack), or is neither army considered the aggressor so that both keep their Champion status?

Thanks in advance,

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct to conclude that the phasing player must either refuse battle and back up or forfeit champion status (if the interceptor is a non-usurper champion). This is despite the fact that the interceptor seems rather more hostile.
In terms of gameplay, this makes interceptions a powerful and fascinating tool, especially against the funeral cart holder's run to Pella.
Thematically, interception is an army getting there first and setting themselves up in your way--you either attack them or leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere.

I understand that if a Champion intercepts another Champion on land that he is considered the defender, therefore not hostile and will not lose Champion status if a battle ensues, and that neither loses Champion status if the moving army backs up so that no battle ensues. However, I don't understand what the implications for the moving player are if he decides not to back up and battle ensues. If the intercepter is the defender I presume that makes the moving Champion the attacker, but he didn't enter that space with the intent of attacking. Does the moving player lose his Champion status in the ensuing battle (meaning his only option to preserve it is to back up, even though he might never have intended an attack), or is neither army considered the aggressor so that both keep their Champion status?

Thanks in advance,

Brent.

2010 rulebook, Page 14, 17.5. :

Quote:
note that a land Interception is always considered defending
unless using Optional Rule 23.2)

So actually the intercepting player is the defender and if the battle ensues(meaning that the moving player doesn't back up) the moving player(the one who was intercepted) actually loses his champion status.

Thanks for putting this out since I really like the optional rule in this situation. The optional rule really makes more sense gameplay wise.

Quote:
23.2 Interception Options

A player who successfully intercepts has the option to become the
attacker if he wishes. His options are now:

A) he can immediately attack, in which case the moving player can
either accept battle or attempt to avoid the Interception (use the Avoid23.2) Battle rules). The attacker (the one who intercepted) would lose his Champion Status if a battle is joined and the moving player was a Champion.

B) he can defend, in which case the moving player can either attack
or back up his Army one space (Refuse Battle) in the direction it
came from and end its movement.

As for the optional rules 23.1, 23.3 and especially 23.5 are nice additions&tweaks.

The beauty of attacking (A) is for example that if the moving player takes a risk and tries the avoid battle roll, he may actually lose two point local troops for province control( not space control) if he is controlling the province where the the battle takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.