Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Instant expansion to explore Arkham, Dunwich, Innsmouth & Kingsport rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I'd like Elder Sign a lot more if it wasn't confined to the museum, so I whipped up a quick expansion the easy way: I scanned the 48 adventure cards to my PC, and keeping the task icons, terror effects, point values, and dice-lock icons completely intact, I simply wiped out the card text and art on the top of each and replaced it all with 36 different locations in Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, and Innsmouth, keeping 12 of the more interesting original cards so that the museum is part but not all of the story. Then, because Elder Sign's idea of an "adventure" seems to be nothing more than an empty phrase with no real meaning (a frustrating failure of imagination which also afflicts Call of Cthulhu's story cards), I added some basic action text to make it at least seem like you had an actual task to complete. For example, the 'Koi Pond' card now reads 'In Innsmouth, you must penetrate the Esoteric Order of Dagon under cover of darkness to observe its bizarre rituals'. I printed to card stock and voila, a replacement card set takes me all over the Lovecraft universe. Many more could be made just as easily with the game's math and balances retained perfectly.

Looking down at the initial card setup I drew for the first game (3 Arkham cards, 1 Dunwich card, and 2 museum cards), I realized it wouldn't be difficult to add the concept of real movement to the game--i.e. to move from an Arkham adventure to a Dunwich adventure, it will take travel time or some other simple sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Jim Thorpe
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have the game yet, but it should be here tomorrow. What your proposing sounds interesting, but I might disagree with the leaving the icons, terror, points etc.. alone. I would think that for certain areas you need to bulk out items, traits and icons to be specific for those areas. I like your idea alot as I love modifying games and such. I'd be interested to see what you have done and if you want please send me a copy of your work or post it in the file section.

It seems as if you have found a cross over to utilize some of the arkham horror cards with elder sign. or atleast have a base line of figuring out stats from one game converting to the other.

as far as your " you must penetrate the Esoteric Order of Dagon under cover of darkness to observe its bizarre rituals'", are you limited by the time of day? if so that could be an interesting way to handle certain cards. for example you can only resolve your Dagon card can only be resolved between 8pm and 2am.

as far as movement, you can utilize time as in going from Arkham to Innsmouth takes a few hours. you can also incorporate the use of money (gained by solving adventure cards) as a payment for the train or other mode of transportation.

again, I like what you are proposing and would liek to see what you have done

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I'd like to know why FFG didn't go this route themselves with the base game, rather than limiting the setting to a museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that way they are able to explore new locations with each forthcoming expansion. A "Mountains of Madness"-themed expansion seems likely, as it is the one thing AH-Fans still keep asking for, and have done for several years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked a more general setting than a Museum,
although many of the cards are still rather generic,
so it's easy to homebrew.

Of course expansion covering diffrent locations would
be a satisfactory way to handle this.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
To be honest I'd like to know why FFG didn't go this route themselves with the base game, rather than limiting the setting to a museum.

I was a bit surprised about this too, as then they would have been able to replace the museum entrance with the train station (or one of the hospitals), and then could have had old favourites such as the Black Cave and the Witch House in play.

sorennarnia wrote:
I realized it wouldn't be difficult to add the concept of real movement to the game--i.e. to move from an Arkham adventure to a Dunwich adventure, it will take travel time or some other simple sacrifice.

If the museum entrance was replaced by the Train Station, then it could be as simple as having to stop over at the Train Station before being allowed to move to other towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0kult13 22
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam mines in the post, imho im thinking the confines of the museum is intended to make you want a bigger scope. Also makes it alittle less Arkham Horror lite in not using the same areas (yet). But im thinking this has a good chance of becoming bigger than AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really clever! Smart and easy to put together. And I hadn't thought about it before, but thinking about how much an actual goal on the adventure cards would add to the flavor, seems like a no-brainer. Seems they went a little too far with abstracting everything into a very generic/interchangeable type experience.

I've wondered if it might be fun to play as if you actually have to progress through an actual location. What I mean is, rather than laying 6 cards on the table and having your choice of where to go and when, what if you had to progress linearly through the adventures, as if you enter a room and there's a threat there you have to deal with. You likely wouldn't be able to just pop off to another wing of the museum at your discretion. Maybe rather than a plain 2x3 layout you could set up the cards in a 'hopscotch' kind of pattern? So you have to tackle the first card, you have a choice to go left or right for the next set, you have to defeat the third card, etc. Possibly even wiping the board, discarding undefeated cards, when you reach, like, 'the end of the wing', and make a whole new playing field.

I don't know if that would work well or not, but it's a thought I've had. I think I might explore the idea a bit this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.