Popular Tags: [View All]
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SHORT Word Game Review Intro

BGG tends to favor certain styles of games. There are the complex Euros with several paths to victory. Then there are the ultra-heavy (“I just spent 3 hours applying stickers to little blocks!”) wargames. Sprinkle in the occasional clever family-oriented Euro, and a good portion of the top 200 is already accounted for. Quiddler doesn't fall into any of the popular categories. I'm not saying that accounts for its poor rating on this site, but it can't be helping.

Rummy with Letters

Serious gamers may not be terribly enamored with Quiddler, but I have yet to come across a non-gamer who dislikes it. Being so similar to rummy, it's easy for anyone to grasp. And as someone who actually despises rummy, I love it. Playing rummy makes me want to bash my own head in to stop the misery. Rummy with letters, though, is fantastic! Since letters can combine with each other in so many different ways to form words, the possibilities are vastly greater in Quiddler than in rummy. As a result, I usually find myself with real choices to make when playing Quiddler.

For the FUN of Words

Quiddler broadens you options in several ways. For one, there are two types of bonuses: longest word and most words. Unless you are up against some extremely weak competition, you won't be able to get both bonuses, so which do you try for? Also, everyone gets an extra turn after the first player goes out each hand, so it is not automatically advantageous to go out 1st. Do you go out now to try to limit you opponents' scoring opportunities, or hold out for a chance to get more points for yourself later? Finally, and most elementally, the English language is sufficiently cluttered with words that your options are usually only limited by the size of your vocabulary.

Quibbles with Quiddler

I find Quiddler to be a good game, but not a perfect one. The standard complaints tend to be overblown, but there is a germ of truth to them. For one, I have often heard that Quiddler is too random. The luck of the draw certainly does play a role in the game. If you are dealt a hand full of consonants, and are unable to draw any vowels, you're going to have a rough hand. I have found this situation rare, though. It typically happens to a player in my group one hand a game. We typically have 3-4 players, and a game lasts 8 rounds, so that's one bad hand out of 24-32.

Luck of the draw; image courtesy Raid1280

Another pitfall of Quiddler is playing with people who have not yet realized that they should not necessarily go out at the first opportunity. The fun of Quiddler comes from analyzing the possible combinations that can be made from your hand. The more cards you get to draw, the more chances you get to build words and rearrange your hand. This is the essence of fun in word games, and in my opinion Quiddler does a fantastic job of it. It works beautifully unless you have people at the table who think they can win by going out with a hand full of 2 and 3 point cards. Experience usually teaches them the error of their ways, but not always.

There is one more minor quibble I have with Quiddler: the early rounds, when you don't have many cards in your hand, are considerably less dynamic than the later ones. After all, the more cards you have, the more possible ways you can combine them. However, playing each round with a different number of cards does add a little something to the game. Each hand has to be approached a little bit differently. And some players will actually prefer the earlier rounds, where the game plays more like rummy, and they can patiently draw cards until they get the one they need.

The Last Word

In conclusion, I find Quiddler to be an extremely fun game with a few minor flaws. It is cheap, readily available, and eminently accessible. While it may not be as engrossing as ASL or Agricola, that is not Quiddler's aim. If you like word games, you will get your money's worth out of Quiddler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Quiddler is the most popular word game amongst my gaming group. It helps that it's very portable. Another quibble I'd add to your list, and this is probably group specific, is relying too heavily on the dictionary. This can bog down the game and lead to random words that no one can actually define. I prefer to play with the words you can think of without a dictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
Nice review. Quiddler is the most popular word game amongst my gaming group. It helps that it's very portable. Another quibble I'd add to your list, and this is probably group specific, is relying too heavily on the dictionary. This can bog down the game and lead to random words that no one can actually define. I prefer to play with the words you can think of without a dictionary.

Agreed on both points. This is our preferred backpacking game because it's portable and cheap (we have a beat up copy for outdoors and a new copy for indoors ). I can't remember if this is a house rule or an actual one, but we usually play that you can only check the dictionary when it's not your turn. The rule is broken pretty frequently, but at least it encourages people to hurry, and it provides for entertaining goading of the person who's rushing to find their word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiAtros wrote:
I can't remember if this is a house rule or an actual one, but we usually play that you can only check the dictionary when it's not your turn.

That's an actual rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
DiAtros wrote:
I can't remember if this is a house rule or an actual one, but we usually play that you can only check the dictionary when it's not your turn.

That's an actual rule.

Well, in that case, I have provided no useful information.

Obviously if that rule isn't adequate to keep the game moving, and with one particular player I remember having the same problem, then your "only words you know" rule seems like about all you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.