Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I export my collection there is no column for manufacturer suggested age, only BGG suggested age. Would it be possible to add this column? It's very useful when selecting games for my children to see what the manufacturer recommends - the BGG recommended age for less popular games in particular can be very variable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the manufacturer suggested age is going to be virtually useless as a guideline on games published or imported to the US after 2008 thanks to the current CPSIA law, which encourages publishers to make the suggested age 13+ to avoid expensive testing for products sold to kids 12 and under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
At the age-group I'm looking at - 8+ games and under - that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it's probably not an issue for those companies that specialize in toys and games for young children. But I think it might be more of an issue than you realize. I happen to have two nephews that are seven years old, and I recently taught them to play "Hey, Waiter!" which they learned easily and really enjoyed. The box says its for ages 13+, which I can only assume is because of the CPSIA law, as it is not a more complex game than many suggested for the 8+ age range. And there was a recent article on BGG News where a publisher stated that he changed the suggested age from 8+ to 13+ specifically to avoid the CPSIA testing requirements. So just be aware that a search based on publisher recommended ages might be leaving out some games that your kids might really enjoy. In any case, good luck with your efforts to find games to play with your kids. I know I treasure the time I've been able to spend playing games with my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.