Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Yes, you thought it was just vapourware. That we weren't actually going to bother doing any rules for the game...but here they are!! At least they will be, once they go through the BGG approval process

The German rules should follow shortly, probably tonight.

Note that the PDF has been optimised for web viewing so some graphics may be a little rough.

Now I'm off to sleep for a week snore

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:
Hi All,

Yes, you thought it was just vapourware. That we weren't actually going to bother doing any rules for the game...but here they are!! At least they will be, once they go through the BGG approval process

The German rules should follow shortly, probably tonight.

Note that the PDF has been optimised for web viewing so some graphics may be a little rough.

Now I'm off to sleep for a week snore

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games

YAAAY! Now just to get them to clear the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tare Panda
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:
...Yes, you thought it was just vapourware. That we weren't actually going to bother doing any rules for the game...

Thanks let's a'clam' and rejoice

Cheers!

You might even have time for the 2 players Antics ones later ? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now an admin need to make it clear the geekmod system faster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er ... I just sent a handful of final corrections for the German rules, Fraser. Sorry for that. WAKE UP AGAIN AND GET THEM DONE FIRST!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
tarepanda wrote:
You might even have time for the 2 players Antics ones later ? devil

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, come on, people...
...the waiting is killing me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
The English rules will be located here when they are approved:

Poseidon's Kingdom English Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:

Nice - you can even give a thumb already! (I know them, I am allowed to do so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:

how have you found that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
kneumann wrote:

Nice - you can even give a thumb already! (I know them, I am allowed to do so).

Something fishy going on here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
English rules are up now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German rules have are in the queue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a fun game my family is going to enjoy!

Could use some graphic design and typesetting love for making the rules easier and more enjoyable to read; would be happy to share some expertise if you'd like and your project schedule permits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
would be happy to share some expertise if you'd like and your project schedule permits.

I hope it doesn't because Essen is like a month away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomike wrote:
quixotequest wrote:
would be happy to share some expertise if you'd like and your project schedule permits.

I hope it doesn't because Essen is like a month away

I was speaking of the rulebook - not the game itself. But point taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too. Excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Almost 500 people downloaded them (300 E / 200 D) in 1 1/2 days.
Edit: 11:35 pm: exactly 200 / 300! Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 600 downloads after 5 days - and no questions, snarky remarks, threads about "I don`t like that" or "I regret my pre-order" or "what a lousy concept" or "What does this rule mean?" yet.

Seems, you did a good job with the rules, Lamonts!

And from my experience, the rules don`t promise anything, the gameplay cannot deliver ...

But of course, after the first glance people will only read them from beginning to the end at their weekend, so, folks: feel free to ask anything and start your threads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Over 600 downloads after 5 days - and no questions, snarky remarks, threads about "I don`t like that" or "I regret my pre-order" or "what a lousy concept" or "What does this rule mean?" yet.

When I read rules, either I can understand how the game will play in my head, or I decide I really need to sit down with the rules and the pieces (and maybe someone to teach!) to figure out how things will work. This is one of the latter for me. I get the rough ideas but I would really appreciate a video showing gameplay, or a session report with pictures, etc. to form a better idea in my head.

I don't have specific questions, and I don't regret signing up for the pre-order, so your comment above doesn't apply to me, but that doesn't mean I think the rules are perfect. I wish they were better formatted and while it is probably more my fault than the rules, the fact I don't really feel I can play this yet means I'll have some work to do once the game arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the remarks.

A session report is a good idea! Maybe I will find time to post a session report with my family and the prototype in the next two weeks or so.

A video is hard to do without the actual game, which is not available before the pallets arrive at Essen.

My post was also a reaction to some of the "Panic Station" or "Ankh-Morpork" discussions with devaluating remarks or complaints about the game without having played it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
duchamp wrote:
Seems, you did a good job with the rules, Lamonts!

The (English) rules are absolutely fine for me. One tiny comment though; Whilst it is not explicitly stated, on each turn you are presumably free to choose the direction of motion of your creature on the ocean. (observing of course, all other stated rules of motion).

I agree with Jon (ravenskana) in the sense that it is hard to play this out in your head based on a read of the rules alone. I give the brothers credit for this aspect of the game, for producing an imaginative and non-formulaic concept. I too look forward to seeing it in action.

Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
One tiny comment though; Whilst it is not explicitly stated, on each turn you are presumably free to choose the direction of motion of your creature on the ocean. (observing of course, all other stated rules of motion).

Interesting, that the only other remark so far regarding the rules (by a German customer via e-mail) adressed this very same spot. I have to admit, that the German rules are even a bit more vague, but I think, it is still clear enough.

Maybe this occurs, because there are two spots in the game, where animals turn around in a defined direction - the shark starting anti-clockwise and the creatures around the Kraken track moving clockwise, that people reading think: "And in which direction do I move on the board?"

But yes, you just move, in which direction ever. If you wish, directly in front of the shark, just for the cool four food-dice you can get there at once to free a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

I have a few questions, but none make me regret signing up for the preorder.

1. The Kraken coral pieces: There's a part of me that can foresee some tension this mechanism may add as players try to maximize their reef scoring at the end of the game, but I'm still not certain how elegantly it actually plays out. On first blush I get a slight impression like unto Cleopatra & Society of Architects where it seems like one extra mechanism of complication that may not be essentially needed. I'd like to try it out in practice, though.

a. Poseidon: It also seems a bit strange this mechanism is the only place where Poseidon makes a showing with the theme (his trident), and it seems a touch strained and artificial at that.

b. Graveyard: It seems that the only person who loses points for skeletons is the "old maid" Graveyard Kraken Coral. I wonder if avoiding the Old Maid coral at the end, together with the memory aspect of this mechanism, forces players (esp. younger players) to mull over too greatly how to combine their dice totals.

2. The Wave breaking: The rules mention about dice falling off the ocean board. I wonder a bit how much fuss and muss this turns out to be; how much of a dexterity mechanism players try to make it; how well dice get distributed across the ocean or how much they bunch up; how easy is it to notice newly tipped dice (for purpose of action totals) from not-yet-eaten dice already on the board?

Yet The Wave does have me intrigued, and I can foresee that my kids will find it fun and appealing. Also I suppose the dice totals actions reference, which appears to be printed on the underside of the Wave, probably isn't too inconveniently placed to read after the Wave is tipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.