Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords recently, and I think I might sleeve the cards (the cards in Minotaur Lords have a really weird feel to them; it feels like grimy hands would leave stains). As it stands, I have the different decks held together with hair elastics, which is what I do with all my card games. If I sleeve the cards, then the elastics would pinch the little bit of sleeve hangover and I think it would leave a permanent pinch mark on the cards.

How do people store sleeves cards so that you don't need to worry about this? I suppose I could have plastic bags for all the different decks, but the elastics are more space-efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Hugo's Amazing Tape works better than the elastics, but it's harder to compact the cards well enough to wrap the cards tightly, and they tend to slide out if the stack is bigger. I think ziplock bags are probably your best option.

That being said, I've had some success in using the extra foam blocks that come with Thunderstone and Nightfall to create inserts to keep certain cards blocked off in some boxes. I'm not sure if they'll fit in those game boxes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get to a sports-card shop, you could see if they have any really small card boxes, though it would probably be tricky to get any that would fit inside the game boxes. I second Hugo's Amazing Tape, though; keep in mind you could always wrap two strips perpendicular to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know an online store selling this in Europe?

Verkisto wrote:
Hugo's Amazing Tape works better than the elastics, but it's harder to compact the cards well enough to wrap the cards tightly, and they tend to slide out if the stack is bigger. I think ziplock bags are probably your best option.

That being said, I've had some success in using the extra foam blocks that come with Thunderstone and Nightfall to create inserts to keep certain cards blocked off in some boxes. I'm not sure if they'll fit in those game boxes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

You can get Hugo's Amazing Tape from BoardGameExtras, based in the UK:
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/index.php?cat=274&category=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

Verkisto wrote:

Ahem. Go to an "Adult" shop, and buy a roll of PVC tape used for bondage. It is the same stuff, only coloured instead of transparent. Depending on the people you play games with, you might get some odd reactions when you tell them what it is.

No kidding, it works perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Ahem. Go to an "Adult" shop, and buy a roll of PVC tape used for bondage. It is the same stuff, only coloured instead of transparent. Depending on the people you play games with, you might get some odd reactions when you tell them what it is.

And care to tell us how you know this fact?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...
JoffW wrote:
Ozludo wrote:

And care to tell us how you know this fact?

I read it here on the 'Geek. I can't find the thread, but I think it was under the Miscellaneous Game Accessory listing.
Last Christmas I gave rolls of the stuff to people in my game group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
sport card boxes work well.

I have also used plastic hard cases since they come in all sizes and depths makinging it easier to fit into the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use deck boxes if they will fit in the game box. Otherwise, I put the sleeved cards in heavy duty (thicker) zip-bags. 4x6 bags work pretty well.

I never use rubber bands (gumbands, elastics, whatever you call them) because of the potential for damage from squeezing and also because the composition of them nowadays breaks down and eats into whatever they are touching. I found that out the hard way because I used to use them around most of my game boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use sleeves with rubber bands and it hasn't been a problem. At the worst, I'm either scraping off the rubber band from the sleeve, or replacing the sleeve. But unless you play a game umpteen times (such as a game convention or game story library), it's not going to need sleeves.

Now, Linen Hinging Tape, *that's* what you'll find handy... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put the sleeved cards into a zip-lock bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
the ultrapro mtg deck boxes work quite well for storing cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atilla Kármán
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my solution. I don't know if it's the best method, but it works for me at least.
I craft tuck boxes for them from coloured cardboard. I measure the deck I want to store, so the box will fit perfectly. Then I scan the back of the cards, print and stick it on the tuck box. I also try to match the card back's colour with the cardboard's colour. This way it's obvious for the first glance what's inside.
It's really easy to craft a simple box, just a matter of a good ruler and a bit of imagination. I literally made hundreds of cardboard tuck boxes in different shapes and sizes for my games.
With a bit of experience I even crafted hex shaped tuck boxes for games like Twilight Imperium. Also triple hex shaped for games like Java or Taluva.

I think this is a nice cheap method to store sorted decks and easier to handle the tuck boxes than cards stored in zip lock bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.