Deadlands: Doomtown» Forums » General

Subject: Deadlands Episode 6 Combo Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darklord Jolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I found a website that was selling a Combo Box of Doomtown packs and starters for episode six. It comes with 6 starters and 24 packs of cards. What all comes in this set and is it worth purchasing? Will I get the same 6 starting factions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.crystalkeep.com/tcg/doomtown/

Episode 6 is the Maze Rats. You'd get the same box of starters repeated plus boosters. You could make your own deck, but you don't have the materials to make multiple decks, let alone different outfits. Not really worth it at all. Better off getting 1 starter box and 10 boosters, and even then your best bet would be a bulk lot of a couple of thousand cards for less than what you'd pay for the combo box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darklord Jolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My thanks. I was looking at a getting a Ashes to Shes starter box also but I already read on here that I would just end up getting 4 boxes for each of the three factions. I will probably just go with Ashes to Ashes starters or Reaping of Souls. Any suggestions?

I saw a Pine Box Booster Box on sale. Worth it? Would it have all the factions because it is reprinting or just three?

Thank you again for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pine Box contains reprints from Episodes 1-9 (the "Rolling Thunder" sets). Therefore, it contains cards for all the base factions; there are 8 different Dudes in the set for each faction, as well as 23 Drifters. Also, it reprints a lot of key cards which will be very helpful for deckbuilding.

What you won't get:

* any Outfit cards (these only come in Starters)
* any cards from the Lost Angels faction (which replaced The Flock in the last two sets)

So, I personally think Pine Box boosters are a very good place to start a collection. Of course, it also depends how much they are asking for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And with whatever you don't buy, please pass on the info! (Especially for the Pine Box Booster Box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're new to Doomtown, just buy Starters, ideally one of each faction. The Lawdogs and Blackjacks are the best ones to start with, followed by Maze Rats, the Union(?), and Confederate (?). Factions which use spells or gadgets are more difficult, since you'll want these cards as well in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darklord Jolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My thanks to all of you for your aid and help in this. I will definitely be on here more to talk to you and will take your advice to heart.

I will also spread the word on any deals I find (which I have discovered to be really hard to find).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
A good bet would be eBay. I also wanted to try this game out so I checked the listings everyday. Eventually won a lot for starters a few weeks back, for the Black Jacks, Sioux, Rangers, Sweetrock and the Agency for 31USD + shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darklord Jolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yeah Ebay has be pretty good to me lately on that front. I won some stuff recently but missed an opportunity to by a lot of 700 cheap.

I plan on getting some other starters here in the future (once I pay off a small loan I owe someone )

I saw some starters for sale on here to I amight be interested in getting. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, starter decks contain 50 fixed cards and 10 random cards, so multiples of any one deck probably won't be all that useful.

The reason Episode X boxes are terrible deals is that they were originally released in very small monthly expansions--Episode 6 only has 50 different cards in it. You'll obviously have multiples of everything if you open 24 fifteen-card boosters of it. The fixed cards from the starter weren't limited to Ep 6, but since they're all the same, you won't get enough variety there either.

You're much better off buying one of as many different starters as you can, and then passing cards that aren't relevant from one faction to one where it is.

(Final note: In case you hadn't noticed the rule in the rulebook, the required deck size for Deadlands is exactly 52, despite the fact that starter decks always came with 60.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.