Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wargaming experience is low. I have played Combat Commander: Europe.
As well as Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?, and a A Few Acres of Snow. I enjoyed CC and aFAoS the best out of these four games.
I would like suggestions of games that are not too complex and scale well with 2 players.
I have checked out this geeklist already: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57322/simple-but-deep-warg....
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, I just got it and first impressions are great.
Also have a look at No Retreat! The Russian Front
Both have the potential to become a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
...have a look at No Retreat! The Russian Front....
I love this game, so I'd recommend it, too. I played the VPG game so often I wore it out.

All the games you've listed are card-driven (GDG). You might want to stick with that if you like it. The Combat Commander Series is big enough to last you a long time.

If you're looking for something completely different, try Columbia's Rommel in the Desert. For me, it remains the most satisfying Columbia game experience. But then, I'm partial to WWII.

Which brings up the recurring issue of what period and scale you prefer. I'm mostly going to recommend WWII tactical and operational level because that's 95% of my wargaming. And lately, it's been all operational.

So, recommendations from us are helpful, but in the end you have to play more wargames. Play as much as you can. Don't wait. Get solo games if you have to. Get two player games and play both sides. That's what most wargamers have done. Try a lot of things, lots of eras, different levels.

Play some bad games. They'll teach you what you're missing in games you like.

Keep trading.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Combat Commander: Europe, then you might want to try Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division by the same designer. Also, as has already been mentioned, there is a lot more of the Combat Commander Series to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Combat Commander, but I like Fighting Formations sooooo much more. The only downside is that it can take 4 to 6 hours sometimes while CC is around 2 to 3. But like I said, both games are among my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I really appreciate it.
I went out and brought Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan today.
I hope to purchase all these wonderful suggestions.
Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.