Josh S.
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played the Rohan Battle Scenario, and in our play, all Free Peoples Characters had been eliminated except for Theoden. However, Gandalf had been killed before he could bring in Theoden, and the "Westu Theoden, Hal" card (or whatever card that is) had been discarded by the "Spies Slip Through Every Net" Shadow Story Event Card, thus making his entrance into this battle impossible. My tweak is this:

"If Theoden is not on the board, Gandalf the White has been destroyed, and the 'Westu Theoden, Hal' Story Event card has been placed in the Event Discard Pile without its' effect being played, then Theoden is considered destroyed for all game purposes."

I don't see where major issues would arise form this, I think it sort of makes sense thematically. The hope of bringing Theoden back from the treachery of Wormtongue is now lost, so to the Free Peoples, he is just as lost to them as if he were dead.

Does this make some sense? Are there some major game-breaking elements that could stem from this that I'm missing? Feedback is appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, what a great set of circumstances that happened. Your ruling makes sense to me since I can't think of any way Theoden can enter if GW is dead and Westu has been randomly discarded (ouch) so you're right in that he effectively is out of the game/eliminated. I would suspect that since all of the other Rohan leaders are dead, this means their respective armies are dead, which means that the bulk of Rohan's armies are dead. Since it is very difficult to get new troops, I would think that the SP would easily be able to conquer the 10 VPs anyways, but your rule does make sense to me in the unlikely case that somehow the fate clock is ticking too fast. You can't feel too bad for the FP as he probalby had many opportunities to already play the card or protect Gandalf.

Thanks for posting this very interesting twist of events--I've held onto Westu and played it for maximum surprise and it would have served me right for being greedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.