United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently three is the magic number for successfully finishing the Emergence scenario, as I'm not the first to have this experience.

To be fair, a couple of things were different on my third playthrough of Emergence. Rather than playing with four COGs as with the first two games, my third playthrough was just a two COG game. Probably more importantly, though, is that I actually got all of the rules right for this playthrough, meaning that I spawned Locust figures correctly in the beginning, and I excluded General Event 7.

Map setup was 16A, 9A, 2A, 12A, which was extremely fortunate for us for a couple of reasons. 9A's placement broke the level up into two distinct parts, so there wasn't the dreaded long hallway of doom that Boomers can shoot down, and 12A as the last tile is fantastic, because the infinite grenade spawn is within range of the final emergence hole.

My friend started, choosing Dom for his extra movement, and I took Cole for his extra Guard ability. Things started out pretty hairy. A few turns in and I thought it would be a fifteen minute game. Poor dice rolls dictated that we had made no forward progress, killed no Locusts, had two Drones on our map tile, while I was bleeding out.

Dom saved the day though, picking me up and issuing me an Order that allowed me to draw a couple of Order Cards right away. We fought off the drone on our tile, but by that point, there were a couple of Boomers and Wretches rounding the corner of 9A and getting into range.

Making sure to advance slowly and stay in cover, our luck with the dice turned from terrible to average, which was welcome. We got through the swarm of Locusts on 9A and were able to push forward to 2A with little effort.

On 2A, Dom picked up a sniper rifle (forgoing a Boomshield for it), and I buckled down for a swarm of drones that had spawned at the map exit. On my turn, there were three Drones in front of me (one in cover), and one that was one area away. I played Ambush to move the one in front of me, and lobbed a grenade over the chest-high wall, rolling five Wounds. I still rolled one defense die for each Drone, but afterward I realized it was an autokill, because even two shields of defense would have resulted in a kill. Both Hammerbursts dropped in front of me.

On my next turn I had full health, so I used a Roadie Run to make a beeline to the grenade box, dropping a card to grab one of the Hammerbursts and then another to get a second grenade.

For the next few turns, I spent two cards to grab a grenade and to lob one at the Emergence Hole, while Dom hung back to snipe. It took me four tries to seal up the hole, but I wasn't having too much trouble since anything that spawned there got blown up pretty well by my non-Omen grenade rolls.

Once I finally closed the hole, it was just a matter of slowly whittling the Locusts down. We finished with an Overkill sniper rifle shot to a Wretch, which hilariously dealt something like eight wounds to his one defense.

It was dire in the beginning, but our luck turned around and we stuck it out and emerged (pardon the pun) victorious.

Now I guess I can finally try Roadblocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me now that I shouldn't have been able to pick up that Hammerburst in the middle of a Roadie Run, but I don't think it affected the game too much. Perhaps on my fourth game, I'll get all of the rules right. Maybe not likely since I'll do a new scenario...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.