Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an interesting game in which the Free Player (FP) used every single die to directly further the Fellowship (FSP) with the only exception of bringing in Gandalf the White. No dice were used for political advancement, none for any mustering, no attacks, no movement, and none for any non-FSP event cards; nothing but for the FSP.

So we were playing the base game (hence this forum), with my Aragorn/Gandalf variant which I think balances the game with minimal rule changes. However, none of the variant rules were used (although I suppose the threat of their use still existed) so this game was essentially just the base game (with no awful Galadriel!). See my variant article which discusses the 3 rule changes (Aragorn can be crowned with a natural A/M die if Saruron/Gondor is at war, Gandalf has improved guide ability—play any card with any die and then draw any card, and Companions can separate independently from the FSP). But again, none of these rule changes were used. Now, onto the game...

Chapter 1: Red carpet for FSP
FP dice: CCCC; SP dice: CAMMPHH

The SP didn’t place or roll any Eyes so the FSP moved 4 times in complete safety. Both Saruman and the Witch-king (WK) appear while the Moria and Dol Guldur garrisons move toward Lorien.

Chapter 2: FSP ambushed in Moria
FP dice: CMPW; SP dice: CAPHHEEEE

So Gandalf plays the Elven Rope (0 special hunt tile) with the P die. The FSP forges ahead and is finally found on its second move (Eye tile = 2r) so Gandalf perishes. Then Merry dies in Moria and the FSP takes 2 corruption (3 tile). Strider hides the FSP with the M die.

Meanwhile the SP puts Lorien under siege and moves Barad-dur and the Southrons toward Gondor. Sauron cannot risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. Saruman New Powerizes Isengard but fear of the sneaky Ents keeps them in Orthanc.

Chapter 3: Gandalf the White, Lorien falls
FP dice: CWWW; SP dice: CCAAAMMHE

Gandalf the White appears in Woodland Realm and the FSP forges ahead and is again found on its 2nd move (2r tile). The FSP takes the 2 corruption (now at 4) and a Will is used to hide (using wills like candy). I considered crowning Aragorn, but then the SP would immediately attack Gondor and then trap Aragorn in Minas Tirith (MT) and the FSP would only get to move once against the 1 Eye, so I decided to stay on course to maintain my advantage in the FSP race and set up getting to Mordor in 4 turns.

Meanwhile the S&Es go to war (but Dawn always comes) and the WK finally pulls the trigger and razes Lorien (2 VPs) against the hapless Elves (but at least it took 2 attacks even though they never hit). Barad-dur probes Osgiliath, but meets stiff resistance so the SP calls off the attack, fearing the 2 regulars would reinforce MT or Pelagir.

Chapter 4: The FSP reaches Mordor, Pelagir falls
FP dice: CHHWW; SP dice: CMMHEEEEE

Once again the SP rolls a bunch of Eyes but cannot find them on the first roll (35555). Now trying to delay the FSP from getting to Mordor, Sauron calls in the Nazgul Strike (Eye = 1r) and gives the FSP 1 corruption (now at 5). Strider hides the FSP with an A/M die, and then uses Athelas to heal 2 corruption (now at 3). The FSP dives for the last step to Mordor, only to be found again (1r) and this time Gimli perishes. Then in Minas Morgul, the FSP takes another corruption (1r tile, corruption now at 4). Strider again hides the ring with an A/M die.

Meanwhile the WK leads the Southrons through Pelagir (3 VPs) on his way to Dol Amroth (DA) but once again, the Shadow military industrial complex is muted because of all of the rolled eyes. It really is a horrible SP roll as all the Eyes makes getting a turn stall nearly impossible and so he was forced to play Nazgul Strike early and then only could play 1 C card. Furthermore, Athelas made corruption manageable not to mention the 4 companions so winning by corruption seems unlikely.

Chapter 5: DA, Erebor and Dale all fall
FP dice: CCMWW; SP dice: CCAMMPPHH

The FSP Declares in Mordor and immediately sets off but is revealed (Eye = 0r). Strider, for the 4th time, uses an M to hide the FSP! That’s only 4 M or H dice rolled for the Free, and each one was used by Strider to hide the ring. On Step 2, the FSP is again found (Eye = 1r), and Strider finally perishes on the 3rd random draw. Boromir steps up, only to be immediately killed on Step 3 (2 tile) so the FSP is still at only 4 corruption.

Meanwhile the WK easily rolls over DA, Erebor (The Ringwraiths are Abroad) and Dale (8 VPs) but then runs out of dice. Theoretically the SP is 2 attacks away from conquering Woodland Realm (he mustered 2 additional Mumakil with the Easterlings and I never hit them) for a turn 5 win (although I did have 3 guys in Osgiliath that could have attacked the 1 regular left behind in Pelagir). That’s what happens when you place no eyes and draw strategy cards with the WK to military blitz. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t able to delay the FSP’s entry into Mordor and doesn’t have any Shadow Special tiles in the Hunt Pool so with the FSP needing only 2 more moves and still having all 3 Elven Rings, it’s not looking good for him.

Chapter 6: The Crack of Doom
FP dice: CCCPW; SP dice: CCCMHHEEEE

Once again the FP has great FSP dice and once again another Eye is drawn (Eye = 4r, 5 of the 10 draws thus far have been Eyes). Both Legolus and Pippen die so the FSP takes 1 corruption (now at 5) and Gollum is the Guide. The SP desperately plays Foul Thing from the Deep, but it does no harm to the FSP (0r). Finally, the FSP takes the last step (3 tile) and destroys the ring. Yea! I even had a C and P dice left along with There is Another Way (-1 corruption and Gollum can move/hide) and Bilbo’s Song (-2 corruption) so there was some insurance moves and corruption as well.

Meanwhile, the SP was set to easily conquer both Woodland Realm and Helm’s Deep giving him more than enough Victory Points, if only they would count!

Aftermath
So it was pretty amazing that every dice was directly used for the FSP. Strider used the 2 Ms and 2 A/Ms to hide the ring, the 1 P was used to play Elven Rope (never drawn), 1 Will was used to play Athelas (2 heal), and with the 1 exception of bringing in Gandalf the White (who ended up giving me 3 extra dice), all of the other Cs and Ws were used to move or hide the FSP. No mustering at all. No Political moves. No attacks. No movement. Nothing but the Fellowship (and I never even had to use the Elven Rings). If there ever was a game that exemplified the “Strider Sprint,” this is that game.

The SP went for the military blitz and was 2 attacks away from getting 10 VPs in 5 turns (at 33 non-eye dice)—but this time the cost of ignoring the FSP was too high. At some point I think he should have "blinked" and drawn a few more Character cards to try and find some way to slow down the FSP (maybe even upon rolling 4 Eyes in turn 2). After the unlucky first turn, he was not really hurt by not placing eyes so I don’t think placing some would have helped him. Looking back at the game, he never used the Barad-dur troops, so that was 3 half-army moves and 1 attack that maybe could have been used better. Isengard never attacked so New Power Rising was a “wasted” P die. And on some level, the Nazgul Strike and Foul Thing plays didn’t really stop the FSP so that could have been a couple more Ps for something (although moving the Nazguls was useful at that point). 9 dice versus 4 in turns 2-3 just wasn’t quite enough for the SP military race to catch up to the FSP due to his 4 and 5 Eye rolls in turns 2 and 4, respectively.

And just to plug my variant rules, they really do work great in terms of balancing the game out. Here was a case that the FP got good action dice and thus never needed to use any of the rules. Furthermore, once again it was so refreshing to not have Galadriel in the game to distort the game around the stinky elves. This is the age of Man/Orcs and the fate of Middle Earth should be decided on them and not the elves.

As always, great, great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. - GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:

The SP didn’t place or roll any Eyes so the FSP moved 4 times in complete safety.

Once an action die is used to move the FSP, isn't it moved into the hunt box?
Then, if the FPS is moved again, now that there is one action die in the hunt box (and the roll is at -1), you should have rolled 1d6 for a success on 5-6, right?
Then, that 2nd action die would be placed in the hunt box, and if he moved a 3rd time (as he did), you would roll 2d6 with successes on 4-6?
Then, that 3rd action die would be placed in the box... etc?

I don't think you need any eye results to still do a hunt roll. Maybe you were playing this way, but, since you said "FSP moved 4 times in complete safety" it made me doubt that you did this, because it always becomes more dangerous to move the FSP, no matter how many eyes there are initially.

It's been a while since I played, so I could be remembering incorrectly, but, I'm pretty sure that is the rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Christopher wrote:
dave65tdh wrote:

The SP didn’t place or roll any Eyes so the FSP moved 4 times in complete safety.

Once an action die is used to move the FSP, isn't it moved into the hunt box?
Then, if the FPS is moved again, now that there is one action die in the hunt box (and the roll is at -1), you should have rolled 1d6 for a success on 5-6, right?
Then, that 2nd action die would be placed in the hunt box, and if he moved a 3rd time (as he did), you would roll 2d6 with successes on 4-6?
Then, that 3rd action die would be placed in the box... etc?

I don't think you need any eye results to still do a hunt roll. Maybe you were playing this way, but, since you said "FSP moved 4 times in complete safety" it made me doubt that you did this, because it always becomes more dangerous to move the FSP, no matter how many eyes there are initially.

It's been a while since I played, so I could be remembering incorrectly, but, I'm pretty sure that is the rule...

Before the FSP declares in Moria, the SP rolls 1 die for every Eye in the Hunt Box (up to 5). Since there was no Eyes in the Hunt Box on turn 1, there is no roll so it doesn't matter what the to hit number is--so yes, there was no chance that the FSP could be found that first round! That's the risk of not putting any eyes in the hunt box.

After the FSP declares in Moria, yes, you just automatically draw a Hunt Tile and the FP dice count towards damage if there's an eye drawn.

Thanks for the close reading! I'd certainly like to know if I'm playing incorrectly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting session report. One note however:

dave65tdh wrote:
Both Legolus and Pippen die so the FSP takes 1 corruption

You can only kill one companion and the excess damage always goes to corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Interesting session report. One note however:

dave65tdh wrote:
Both Legolus and Pippen die so the FSP takes 1 corruption

You can only kill one companion and the excess damage always goes to corruption.
That's true with the exception of hobbits as guide. I think the Hobbitses can immediately be taken as a casualty so you can kill multiple companions if hobbits are guides.

I found this in the CE FAQ (and I'm pretty sure I've read this in the old FAQ or here on BGG as well):

"As soon as either Hobbit becomes the Guide his Guide ability can be used (either or both can separate as a result of one Hunt tile)."

And again, thanks for the close read! I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.