Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Niederer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just started playing recently, and it seems odd that there is no option to mulligan -- was this ever added in an FAQ or something?

thanks for any info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sadly it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In official tournament rules, you can mulligan once with no penalty. Some people don't like it. It is regularly talked about at organized events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
The resourcing structure of the game makes a mulligan rule completely unnecessary. However, it seems as though someone didn't tell the new tournament organizers that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The older tournament format was 3 games with no mulligans in (I believe) 50 minutes. Most of the time you didn't get to finish that many games.

So I think for this reason they were faced with a choice to either reduce the number of games or extend the time limit. It's problematic to have 2 games because of ties, so they reduced it to one game. Now you've got gobs of time. As Chris pointed out the resourcing system makes this fairly unlikely, but I guess they felt that with one game the chance was higher (even if still fairly low) so why not fill in that time by allowing a mulligan?

And yes, not everyone prefers the new format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
The older tournament format was 3 games with no mulligans in (I believe) 50 minutes.

Not quite. It was a single game in 45 minutes. I never played a tournament in which you did best of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
As Chris pointed out the resourcing system makes this fairly unlikely, but I guess they felt that with one game the chance was higher (even if still fairly low) so why not fill in that time by allowing a mulligan?

Because it allows you to build a combo deck that requires a card or cards to be in your starting hand to work. With the old system, if you didn't get that card, your all-in was screwed and you lost. With the new, you get two chances to get your broken combo card(s) in your draw. So the mulligan rule being added allows for more degenerate deck designs to succeed.

Which is boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.