Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question and one that has come up before. We were pretty sure on here that the answer is the player is out the game for good, since the rules say the player is eliminated once their heroes in play are dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Good question and one that has come up before. We were pretty sure on here that the answer is the player is out the game for good, since the rules say the player is eliminated once their heroes in play are dead.

I disagree.
The Rulebook wrote:
Player Elimination
A player is eliminated from the game if all of his
heroes are killed, if his threat level reaches 50, or if a
card effect forces his elimination. (Future expansion
scenarios may have threat elimination levels at values
other than 50; for all of the scenarios included in the
core set, a player is eliminated when his threat level
reaches 50.)
When a player is eliminated, his hand, all of the cards
he controls, and his deck are placed in their owners’
discard piles. Any encounter cards with which that
player was engaged are returned to the staging area,
retaining any wound tokens that have been placed on
them. The remaining players continue to play the game.
Note that after a player is eliminated, one less card is
revealed from the encounter deck during the staging
step of the quest phase, as there is now one less player
involved in the game.
If all players are eliminated, the game ends in a loss
for the players.

I don't think the player is eliminated until the rescued prisoner is killed as well. The player with no heroes wouldn't really be able to do anything except raise his threat and draw cards, except under particular circumstances, such as Radagast being in play and being able to collect resources to play creatures.

I can't say with certainty that I'm right, but since the prisoner isn't killed yet, there is some ambiguity concerning player elimination.

On the other hand, does "cannot be used" mean they are no longer one of their owner's heroes? If so, I'd have to argue that the player is eliminated.

Also, how would enemy engagements work? They would likely have no one to attack if they engaged a player with no heroes.

I guess I'm changing my mind, then. Player elimination probably means when all "controlled" heroes are killed, not "owned" heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how would enemy engagements work? They would likely have no one to attack if they engaged a player with no heroes.

I guess they would break through into the player's dimension and attack them in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that following the rules, the player is not eliminated.

Flamehearted wrote:

Now, this is a great question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkon Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until there is an errata or FAQ answer to say otherwise, the rules as written is pretty clear : elimination due to hero loss only occurs when ALL heroes belonging to a player is killed.

However, as many have pointed out, gameplay does get a bit wonky (and even boring) for the hero-less player.

Again, going by the rules as written, engaged monsters would attack, but have no-one to deal damage to. Bear in mind though, that there are several nasty shadow effects in this scenario that WILL affect the player, and be boosted since any attack not soaked up by a sentinel, forest snare or feint would be undefended. Considering that only archers belonging to other players would be able to help the poor defenseless team barring cards like forest snare and a light in the dark, the probabilities of greatly increased threat and loss of allies and attachments on said allies (if any) would quickly add up. And once the poor hero gets out of jail, he would most likely be killed very fast

Just be glad that the Hill Troll isn't in this set, or there would be a significant chance of an automatic 6-point threat increase each round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.