Harry Potter Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Ability to collect and play based on boosters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
Salutations Everyone,

So I have been trying to find a tcg/ccg to play. I have tried everything from Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Yugioh, Star Wars (both young jedi and later the wotc version). Nothing stuck to me but I recently played a demo game of Harry Potter TGC. My coworker has the Diagon Alley starter set and i really enjoyed it. It seems simplistic but she showed me her collection and how there are countless different decks to play. I decided to give this game a fair shake.

From hillwholesale, i bought 76 boosters of base set and 76 boosters of qudditch cup. I also bought the diagon alley starter for myself. From a collectors standpoint, do i have a good shot of getting all the cards in both sets from 76 boosters? I do not think they will be in booster boxes but just randomized packs.

Will this also give me a decent assortment to develop a couple different decks to build and play with or would i need to collect a couple booster boxes from the other sets to be able to do this?

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be fine for playing in my view, but don't know the likelihood of getting all cards in the sets.

My preferred way to play is to do "cube drafting", which I ported over from a Magic thread discussing how to get into that game inexpensively.

Enjoy!

P.S. Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
With cube draftung however, don't you need more than two payers? Snce cube is based on your own selection, such as you create the archtype and design it, how do you do this with such a minimal assortment of cards over only five sets of HP TCG?

And thanks for the welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube can be unthemed. I just use every card that we have, but no more than four of any one card.

We don't do drafting per se, but rather each player gets 60 cards, pares them down to 40, then adds whatever lesson cards that they want, and chooses a starting wizard.

With older kids / adults, one can use a Winston draft, where you end up knowing about half of the other players cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
With cube, one couldnt use the same card as someone else, correct? So we couldnt have two people each using four unicorn or four norbert or whatnot? Everyone essentially uses a unique cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that each player might have the same card with the "Unique" attribute. In that case, only one can be in play at a time. But, you might remove that card during play, and then play yours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
Ok. So ill aim at trying to get four copies of all the cards, except the unique witch and wizards so i can develop a great cube draft.

Are there any banned cards in this tgc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know on that one....

Maybe do Google search for "harry potter banned cards"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watchingowl wrote:
It seems simplistic but she showed me her collection and how there are countless different decks to play.

Very true. I've taught this game to many people who had never played a CCG before. Still, I've probably spent as much time building decks as I have playing them.

Quote:
Will this also give me a decent assortment to develop a couple different decks to build and play with or would i need to collect a couple booster boxes from the other sets to be able to do this?

You should have enough there to easily build 4 unique decks. (Try 2 with creatures and 2 without.) If you're willing to invest more into the game, the other sets are great, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
Oh i plan too. Im aiming for two booster boxes of each of the other sets. Are there any cards that are absolutely useless? I hate to use this reference, forgive me, but much like energy search in pokemon, are the any cards that seem to just sit in binders or boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
My box should be arriving today though ill be at work and probably will have to pick it up at th epost office tomorrow. Ill post a box break of the packs and the ration of the collections (percent complete) based on 72 packs each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watchingowl wrote:
Are there any cards that are absolutely useless? I hate to use this reference, forgive me, but much like energy search in pokemon, are the any cards that seem to just sit in binders or boxes?

For me personally, a lot of the 2-cost and 3-cost cards don't get used because they're really not that powerful. But then again, a lot of the 8-cost and higher cards don't get played a lot either because the games tend to wrap up before they can be used on a consistent basis. Still, there's a time and place for every card, even the commons. The goal isn't to build the most expensive or rare deck, but one where all of the cards work well together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casimir Goetschl
United States
flag msg tools
Ok so I got the boosters though the site I got them from gave me five spanish boosters in place of five regular english ones x.x

Overall I did not get a complete set of either based on 72 packs. I am missing a significant portion of rares from both. I did get a butt load of Marcus Flint and Hooch from QC and several Snapes, Draco's, and Abbotts from Base. x.x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vazquez
United States
Imperial
California
flag msg tools
To answer the original question:

I bought 72 boosters of base and Quidditch and got at least one copy of every card.

The only set it's very hard to do that with is with Chamber of Secrets, with there being an insane 50+ rare cards in that set.

To answer other questions:

There are currently no banned cards in Harry Potter TCG, but some that I would suggest "limiting" to 2 per deck instead of 4 per deck include:

Potions Project (for 5 Power, can do LOADS of damage, too powerful for 5 power)

Black Bat (4 Power, guaranteed 2 damage, similar strength to other 4 power creatures)

Escape From the Dursley's (Adventure, but absolutely deadly if played on Turn 1. MUCH too powerful to continuously be hit with, especially if abused with Fred and George Weasley)

Wand Shop (Location, 4 Power, makes super high powered spells insanely fast to play, too powerful when combined with Color Master Professors like Snape or Sprout).

Venomous Tentacular Juice (playing 2 in a turn when your opponent has 6 or more cards in their hand is an instant win from any situation.)

Hagrid Needs Help (doesn't really need an explanation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.