Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few newbie questions on re-rolls, focusing, assisting and solitare play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
If I fail to complete a task, I understand that I then set aside one die and then re-roll focusing a die prior as well if I want to. What if I fail again, can I still re-roll again? My understanding is that I can keep re-rolling as long as the number of dice I am rolling+ any dice I have focused makes accomplishing the task possible, is that correct?

If I fail, set aside a die +focus a die, if I fail again, after setting aside a die, can I focus another die before re-rolling again?

If you can re-roll and focus more then once, does it follow that you can assist more then once on a turn as well?

If one player assists another player, that die remains locked on their card until there turn comes around and they either use that assisted die or fail to complete the task, correct?

If playing a solitare game, do I simply choose how many characters I want to control from 1-8?

Thanks,

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Couple of newbie questions on re-rolls and solitare play
Correct on everything you asked. Once you have a die focused, it is the only one you can have until you use it to pass a task or until the turn ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your quick reply Randall. I'm confused. When you say that you can only have one die focused then does it work like this:

You roll and fail. You set aside a die. You focus a die. You fail again. You set aside another die but you cannot focus another die since you may only focus once but you may still re-roll again as long as it is possible to complete the task. However you can assist each time you fail with the limit of one die per character card?

I added in a question about assisting in an edit I made a few minutes ago. Kind of confused on how that works as well.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I fail, set aside a die +focus a die, if I fail again, after setting aside a die, can I focus another die before re-rolling again?

Not until you are able to use the currently focused die for a success

If one player assists another player, that die remains locked on their card until there turn comes around and they either use that assisted die or fail to complete the task, correct?

Assist die are removed at the end of the active player's turn, just like focus.

If playing a solitare game, do I simply choose how many characters I want to control from 1-8?

Correct

Here's an example of the focus/assist mechanic.

I go after an adventure and fail my first roll, but i see that one of the tasks requires an Investigation icon, so I focus that one on my oen character. I also see that another player is on the same card, so they assist me by letting me place a 3 Investigation die on their card for another task requirement. I then remove 1 die since I failed the actual roll.

Next roll (3 dice now) I manage to get a Terror icon that goes with the Investigation I have focused, so I remove that and place both onto the task, completing it. The assist die is then added to my new roll of a 2 and 1 Investigation for a total of 6, finishing the second task.

That is, of course, in an ideal situation. Odds are you will likely need the extra dice or clues to pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two things you do when you fail if you want to try again.
1) Discard a die. You must do this.
2) Optionally focus/assist a die. You don't have to do this. You can only do this if there's space on your character sheet (if focusing) or the other player's (if assisting). The point here is if you got half of a task, you can save that die and roll the others so you only need to get the other half.

So, say you roll 6 green dice, and can't complete any of the tasks. Here's what happens:
1) If you rolled any terror and the adventure has a terror instruction, do that.
2) Discard a die. Pick one and set it aside. Hide it under a hat or something; you won't get to roll that die again at all this turn.
3) Focus a die. Let's say one of the tasks is skull/investigation3, and you rolled the skull but not enough glasses. You set the die, still turned to skull, on your character sheet.
4) Try again. Pick up the four remaining dice and roll them.

Let's say you fail again. You go through steps 1 and 2 again the same way, but 3 and 4 might be different:
3) Assist a die. This time, you set an investigate2 result on your coplayer's sheet, for example.
4) Try again. Now you only have 2 dice available for rolling.

Assist dice don't stick around at the end of the turn. They're helping you, you're not helping them. (That confused me, too!)
So, let's say you fail yet again. At this point, you give up. You will suffer the failed adventure penalties listed on the card. Your coplayer must choose to lose a stamina or sanity for assisting a failed adventure. At this point, all of the dice are taken off of players sheets, completed tasks, and wherever you stashed the discarded dice. The next player will be starting from scratch.

Dice only stick around from turn to turn if they get placed on a lock, or if they're put in a spell.

Man, I hope I got that all right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Does removing an assisted die at the end of the active player's define the active player as the one who has an assisted die hence they would have to remove it if not used at the end of their turn as opposed at the end of the players turn who did the assisting? I would think my interpretation must be correct since what good does assisting do if the assisted players cannot use the die on their cards.

Also confused from page 10 of the rulebook which says:

"If the active player is unable or unwilling to complete
the tasks on his Adventure card, any investigators who were
assisting (that is, investigators who were not the active player
but who had a die on their Investigator marker) must choose to
either lose 1 Sanity or lose 1 Stamina"

Does not make sense as written. Let me take a stab at it:
If player A assists player B and player B takes their turn. They fail or choose not to complete a task and never use the assisted die, player A who assisted loses a sanity or stamina?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
bobm174 wrote:

Uh...yeah. How else would it be?

Or are you thinking that playing solitaire would give the character "extras perks" to help compensate for the lack of more characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A is the active player. Player B is at his location. During A's turn, he places a die on B's card. B is now assisting A. If A fails to complete the task, B will suffer the assistant penalty, then all dice are removed. At the start of B's turn, no one is assisting anybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bobm174 wrote:
Does removing an assisted die at the end of the active player's define the active player as the one who has an assisted die hence they would have to remove it if not used at the end of their turn as opposed at the end of the players turn who did the assisting? I would think my interpretation must be correct since what good does assisting do if the assisted players cannot use the die on their cards.

Also confused from page 10 of the rulebook which says:

"If the active player is unable or unwilling to complete
the tasks on his Adventure card, any investigators who were
assisting (that is, investigators who were not the active player
but who had a die on their Investigator marker) must choose to
either lose 1 Sanity or lose 1 Stamina"

Does not make sense as written. Let me take a stab at it:
If player A assists player B and player B takes their turn. They fail or choose not to complete a task and never use the assisted die, player A who assisted loses a sanity or stamina?

Bob

Active player means whoever's turn it is.
For the rule clarification, if any other investigators assisted you by ever having a die on their card (even if it was used), they each lose 1 sanity or stamina (rather than suffering the full penalty like the active player will).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
JK: The reason I asked that is the rules made no suggestions as to when playing solo if the game would be balanced to play 1 hero only. Games like Defenders of the Realm can also be played 1-4 but there are questions to consider as to balance when deciding how many characters one should play solo.

The rules make no mention of a suggested number of players to control when playing solo so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Perhaps I should have asked suggested number of characters a solo player might consider playing with versus whether one can play with one character when playing solo. However asking it in this way opens the door to discussions of strategy and I don't read articles on strategy.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
bobm174 wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply Randall. I'm confused. When you say that you can only have one die focused then does it work like this:

You roll and fail. You set aside a die. You focus a die. You fail again. You set aside another die but you cannot focus another die since you may only focus once but you may still re-roll again as long as it is possible to complete the task. However you can assist each time you fail with the limit of one die per character card?

I added in a question about assisting in an edit I made a few minutes ago. Kind of confused on how that works as well.

Bob

In order to Assist, there must be (at least one) other Investigator *marker* on the same Adventure as you. (Markers and cards are different things).

You may use Assist on any number of other Investigators on the same Adventure as you.

You may only Focus or Assist once per roll - only one die may be set aside by Focus or Assist per roll.

For Focusing and Assisting, you place the die you are 'saving' on the Investigator marker. That die now does not move until you use it to complete a task (or you resolve or fail the Adventure). (If you used Focus, then on the next roll you used the Focused die to complete a task, you would now be able to Focus again on your next roll.)

Quote:

No. Focusing and Assisting only last for one player's turn - on success or failure for the Adventure, the dice are removed. On failure, any Investigators that Assisted lose either one Sanity or Stamina (their choice).

Given the choice, it is best to Focus first, then Assist if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for your help!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few issues that pop up if you play solo. Sometimes things will just arrange themselves so that it's literally impossible to lose, such as an investigator that heals faster than the Ancient One can hurt them. You can just redeal if you get one of those cases, or play two investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Next roll (3 dice now) I manage to get a Terror icon that goes with the Investigation I have focused, so I remove that and place both onto the task, completing it. The assist die is then added to my new roll of a 2 and 1 Investigation for a total of 6, finishing the second task.

Is this right? Can you complete both tasks with just the one roll? I thought you could only complete one task per roll.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
natsean wrote:
Quote:

Is this right? Can you complete both tasks with just the one roll? I thought you could only complete one task per roll.

Thanks,

Kevin

That example is wrong. You are right, you can only complete one task per roll.

Also wrong on that example:
Quote:
I go after an adventure and fail my first roll, but i see that one of the tasks requires an Investigation icon, so I focus that one on my oen character. I also see that another player is on the same card, so they assist me by letting me place a 3 Investigation die on their card for another task requirement.

You cannot both Focus and Assist on the same roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one task per roll.

One investigator has a special ability that allows more than one task to be completed per roll, i forget who.

natsean wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is evidence that FFG should issue errata or a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.