Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played either, but my wife has ordered me to buy Vinhos because it is more aesthetically pleasing. Also seems to get more positives here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos - heavy heavy heavy, solid and complex. Great 2p and more.

Grand Cru - medium weight, extremely tight resource management. Not so great 2 player with the heavy focus on auctions, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Grand Cru, but from what I've read it seems like it might have some balance issues. Vinhos I have played, and it is very heavy - if you like heavy Euros, you will be in heaven, but if you don't, it could be overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Vinhos (cannot find a copy in US). But I own Grand Cru. Grand Cru is a great medium weight game. It combines role selection with good auction mechanics and a fairly lightweight but easy to follow economic engine. It's a very tight game, where players will feel hard pressed to make progress (but not impossibly so). It plays pretty well as a 2 player game though in a 2 player game the auction mechanic is a little less restricting (and the first player marker more important). It scales very well to 5 players and suitably embellishes itself in the theme.

It has the bonus that its very easy to teach.

I'd love to try Vinhos and it'd be hard to make any kind of comparison without having played it so I'll refrain and just offer that Grand Cru is better than most seem to give it credit for here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games. I enjoyed both but prefer Vinhos a bit over Grand Cru.

Vinhos has high replay value, many paths to victory, balanced, and deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.