Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone spoil the objectives, Keeper actions, as well as some of the more interesting exploration/lock/obstacle cards for this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Keeper actions:
Unseen Wings - 3 threat, basically you move a cultist (anywhere on the board) to a lone investigator's space. If the investigator fails a dex check, the keeper may move both cultist and investigator up to three spaces.

Lure of Silver - 1 threat, once per turn limit. Keeper targets an investigator and draws one mythos and one trauma card. Investigator must choose to either permit the keeper to draw another mythos and another trauma card, or move the investigator one space.

Command Minion, Darkness, and Summon Worshippers also appear. Summoning may appear depending on the objective.

Locks/puzzles - nothing too special. Another use of Rune Puzzle 9, a rather complex wiring puzzle, and a door that stuns the investigator. Some new configurations but nothing that's significantly new.

Objectives

A: Keeper wins if last event is resolved or investigators have destroyed the silver tablet (which comes bundled with clue 1). Investigators win if one investigator with the silver tablet escapes.

B: Keeper wins if a Hound of Tindalos kills an investigator during the finale. Investigators win if they find Clue 1.

C: Keeper wins if last event is resolved. Investigators win if a named witch is killed.

Overall B was a very, very tough scenario to be the keeper. My investigators reached clue 1 four turns before the finale would have been triggered by the event deck, and this was in spite of nonstop harassment of the investigator collecting the clues/keys. May just have been crummy setup choices, but I was focusing three investigators' worth of threat on a single investigator to try to delay her and failed.

Objective A seemed better balanced. I was an investigator in that one, and we won the game literally by a single movement step, so it came right down to the wire. We haven't played C yet.

Interesting exploration cards:

Silver Tablet (found with Clue 1). Can test strength-4 to discard that card and force the keeper to discard Unseen Wings.

A dagger with a second use action that you can test lore to be untargetable by Unseen Wings for one turn.

There's a 'super torch' that, rather than lighting a room on fire, can be used (via lore check) to permanently, and reusably, remove darkness tokens from rooms.

There's an object with ceremonial skull-like mechanics that either gives skill points or lets the keeper draw mythos/trauma cards based on a luck check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. In regard to objective A:

How does the Keeper force the investigators to destroy the Silver Tablet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

I haven't played that objective myself, but my guess would be...

The Keeper doesn't. The real win condition is for the Keeper to survive to the last Event, and that alternate win condition is just there because otherwise, if the investigators destroy the Silver Tablet, the investigators can't win (since they can't escape with the Silver Tablet), and the Keeper can't not win (since he/she just needs to wait for the last Event and the game can't end before that), so the outcome is already determined so there's no point in continuing to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
Dammit, I hate the cards where you can target an investigator and force them to move. It irritates the s**t out of the players; makes them feel like they're not in control of their own character, which is lame, and a kind of lazy mechanic, really. This has just gone to a non purchase for me. bummer.

What are you talking about? Did you read to the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
What are you talking about? Did you read to the end?

I don't see how the part at the end contradicts what he said:

After spending the entire game up through finding Clue 1 enduring the Keeper having that investigator-moving action, the ability ON SOME OBJECTIVES to deny the Keeper the ability to do that anymore by spending an Action and passing a very difficult Strength check is not going to be of the greatest comfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's always Photoshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

He can't. It prevents the investigators, though, from destroying the tablet to force the Keeper to discard Unseen Wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
petercox1001 wrote:
Dammit, I hate the cards where you can target an investigator and force them to move. It irritates the s**t out of the players; makes them feel like they're not in control of their own character, which is lame, and a kind of lazy mechanic, really. This has just gone to a non purchase for me. bummer.

In regards to this - it certainly irritated my group, but then, I usually manage that myself

The scenarios (or perhaps just my setup choices) seemed relatively short for the length of time investigators have. The game is only 16 turns long, and investigators had Clue 1 by turn 8 in one of the scenarios, despite my best efforts to move Joe Diamond off the path of clues, so the ability to hinder movement isn't as powerful as it would be on a sprawling map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play of ST today, went with B, investigators (Gloria, Joe and Jenny) didn't even find Clue 2, let alone Clue 1. Single Hound of Tindalos was enough to terrorize the investigators and cause them headaches (when combined with darkness). Two zombies popping up at the "right" time just added their misery. Investigators weren't also helped by the misleading them to head for the Garden (wasting one full turn trying to get the lock opened, in addition there was the Runelocked Chest to occupy them for a while,
when Clue 4 was in fact in the Hallway near the Garden.

Kleptomania on Gloria (who somehow became the primary Clue and Key finder/carrier) helped quite a bit, as did her low Dexterity, especially when I threw Hearing Loss (-2 Dex) on her. Unseen Wings was most of the time a success, moving her three spaces back the way she came from. With the Hound coming initially after Joe Diamond with no weapons, targetting him with Lure of Silver also netted full Mythos and Trauma whenever I needed them, with Hound moving only 2 spaces vs investigator running full tilt for 3, allowing me to move the investigator would've forced not only combat but also Horror and Evade tests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.