Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, I got my copy of this a few days ago and have been reading through the rules.

And I'll be honest, I'm somewhat stumped... there seem to be so many things to think about / options available that it is rather overwhelming. And that is in turn also stopping me from understanding some of the rules because I can't even begin to see when they would be needed.

I almost feel like what is needed is some sort of flowchart or something to show the order of things / the options / rules etc...

So... can anyone suggest the best way to get my head round the game?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

You got FoF 1st Ed but don't get this one?

My girlfriend handed me the manual for the cooker today and said she couldn't work out how to set the grill. Not surprising because it was the guarantee in about fifty different languages. Maybe this is the same thing? Especially in the light of recent outbreaks of wet and crushed boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you try a simple battle first.

Marathon and Leucra are good examples: little troop variety and interesting decisions.

Try to tinker with the pieces (avoid deployment and go for historical by all means), and activate one "quadrant" for battle, and see how it goes from there in a gradual way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rich – I also received the game this week and have found it relatively straight forward. As Piero suggests pick a battle with only a few unit types and then you don’t have to worry about all the exceptions.

There is a flowchart over at the Yahoo group (it is for an older version of the game but is substantially the same – I have looked at it but have not needed it). I suggest push a few counters a round and don’t worry if you make a few mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks folks. Yeah, think I've been a bit like a deer caught in the headlights, when all I really need to do is muck and have a go. I think what was actually doing my head in was that it's all written in normal english, rather than like a bullet point structured rulebook (if that makes sense) - some of it just seemed a bit vague / woolly.

Anyway, I've just finished a mini battle of my own making, which has helped me get my head round the commands and actions part of the game. Now that I've got that sorted, I think the rest will come fairly easily (fingers crossed!).

I've also just joined the Yahoo group which has some quite detailed examples of battles available in the files section, so they should also help.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer bullet point structured rulebooks, but this one seems well written. Lacks an index, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi54
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at page 229 of the book that you should have received together with the game there is the Sequence of Play.
ciao
Luigi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I too, have found it harder going than i thought it would be. The rulebook is well written, but not well laid out, and while it all makes sense, it isn't easy to get a handle on the various rule exceptions which pop up in various spots. I fought my way through Fields of Fire 1st ed. and it's nowhere near as bad a rule book as that so I'm happy to get on top of this one, especially as the system is new and looks interesting. Take note DBM and FoG. The world moves on and rehashing with variation on a theme is never going to really fire the imagination. It would really help if somewhere the battles were ranked for complexity/troop types etc so you know what would be a sensible way to learn the game. I'd also like some idea of relative unit values for battle creation, but it may be there and i've just missed it.
I also have a minor issue with the magnificent book that accompanies the rules. It looks like there is a slightly out of date version of the rules in it. Charles Vasey's tweak on the timing of the command dice roll doesn't seem to be there and there may be others. Does anyone have a list of the changes between the book version and the new published rules?
Having whinged on for too long. I think it's the most interesting gaming package I've looked at since fields of Fire, great value ( meaty reading not just lots of bits) and a genuinely new take on ancients, so many thanks to the publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played an Empire campaign last night I was expecting to have to wait until the weekend become trying the tactical game, but I had the afternoon booked off work with an opticians appointment scheduled at 4 so I spent an hour and a half nursing a coffee and reading the intro and rules in the appendix from the hardback copy of the book beforehand. There seemed an awful lot of exceptions and modifiers but I'm guessing/hoping that's where the player aid charts come in.

Update: Okay, I've picked up an extended example of play covering the whole battle of Granicus from the yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lostbattles/

On the first run through I just set the battle up and moved the counters and markers around and checked out the play aids. I found this useful to get a feel for the flow of the rules but made no real attempt to fully understand what was going on. I think tomorrow I'll read the main rules booklet which is presented better than the appendix in the book and have another run-through trying to follow the play in more detail. It sounds like a plan to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping for a video to show me the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
The rules in Appendix 1 of the full book are very concise, and some people may prefer that. Others found them too concise, which is why we made the new rulebook much fuller. Start with whichever you prefer. There are some changes of terminology and organisation between the two (eg zones rather than tiles), but the few substantive changes are all indicated by red asterisks in the rules pamphlet, like that at the start of 3.2 on p.12.

An excellent way to start from scratch is now to watch Aaron Bell's series of You Tube videos on the Granicus which are posted here on the BGG Lost battles site. There are then any number of other examples of play, including those in the rulebook and in chapter 6 of the book.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.