Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested I thought I would provide an update of where we are with Quests of the Realm. Recently we made a decision to add 2 special Quest Dice to the Quests of the Realm expansion, so the variant looks to contain 110 Larger (Hero card Size) Cards (85 Quest cards and 25 Fellowship cards), 2 special Quest Dice and rules. The card mix may change and include a few items, but at present this is the make up of the expansion. These Quests will replace the Existing Quests from the Base Game, Dragon Expansion and offer a significant number new Quests. So, players will either play with the Quests of the Realm or the base game Quests, but not both.

The Quests are currently undergoing some redesign to adapt to the special Quest Dice in which many will have multiple levels of success or failure now based on the results of the Special Quest dice. Some Quests will continue to offer a Pass/Fail result, but many will have multiple results based on the number of Swords rolled. To get a clearer vision, you need to had an idea of the Quest Dice.

The Quest Dice are 6 sided dice and each had 3 sides that are blanks, 2 sides that have a single SWORD Icons, and 1 Side that has 2 Sword Icons. Therefore, when attempting a Quest with the new Quests of the Realm, players will be instructed to roll 1 or 2 dice and may need to gain 1, 2, or 3 Swords with the number of swords gaining a different level of success. Likewise, some Quests will roll 2 dice needing a Double Sword on 1 die to succeed. The Quest dice enable more resolutions and should be fun for novice and experienced gamer alike.

The Fellowship cards will create a bond between 2 heroes, each hero will have some relationship with 2 others (the hero to their left and right) that offer special abilities and sometimes limitations. Therefore, the two heroes may have survived a massacre by Orc Raiders in Orc Valley as kids and have a dire hatred of the green creatures that gain them a bonus when fighting Orcs, but also restrict the hero in that they cannot leave a location with Orcs present - they must attack! Or maybe the two heroes have a rivalry to achieve the most Quests, in which the hero completing the least quests at the time gains an extra die on their quest rolls, or maybe they are just close friends that when camping together share stories that enable them to draw an extra Hero card - there are many many different types of Fellowship cards and each offers different benefits, strategies, and more story to the game.

Well, that is the status of the Quests of the Realm. I think you all will really like how this project has evolved and find it interesting to see how even some of the base game quests have changed with this new resolution process. As always, your feedback is valued.

Thanks and hopefully some of you have successfully defended the realm in Chapter 5 of the Summer League - Assault on Monarch City.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion just sounds better and better each time you talk about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!

The dice mechanic with the swords sounds familiar but fun.
Can't wait for the new Fellowship cards.

It looks to be another musthave expansion.

Is the expansion planned for Q4 2011?

Tomorrow we are going to play Chapter 4 of the Summer League and hopefully The big finale next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
As always great info and really looking forward to this expansion.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, thanks for frequent updates and giving your fans the inside scoop.

I am very intrigued by the Fellowship cards, they sound very thematic as well as offering some more variety to the play experience.

Also, thanks for increasing the size of the quest cards, I am sure with the extra space on the card you can make some more interesting quests as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THIS sounds good. Bigger quest cards are great. Just please, don't put white text on beige backgrounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I will pass on to the graphics folks "No White Text on Beige Backgrounds" - good advice.

Timing of publication has not be established by Eagle Games yet, but from our last discussion this expansion looks like it will move to the front of the publication line for Defenders of the Realm. The ball is back in my court as I am now busy redesigning all the quests to use the new Quest Dice. Since the addition of these dice, I think they will become the dice used for Epic Combat in the Troll Expansion - but that is only 80% certain, so don't hold me to that - but I like the feeling of Swords resolving the Melee, Ranged, Magic, and Tactics cards players trade their normal dice for in Epic Combat. But that is a different topic.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure you've already thought about heroes like the Sorceress and the Adventurer who can roll one extra quest die being able to retain their special ability having it applied to the new questing mechanism in some way. Will be interesting to see how their enhanced questing skills play out in the new expansion. Of course it may be as simple as having them roll one extra special quest die.

Overall, this sounds fantastic adding more story and game play options to an already super game.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More story= More Theme= Wonderful!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!!!! Can't wait to plunk down my money for preorder!

EDIT: Any idea of the price range? 20, 30, 40???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Any idea of the price range?

While no pricing has been discussed, I would think it would be in the $25 price range, but that will be something Eagle Games will have to established based on production costs.

Thanks for you interest. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds absolutely great! Right down my alley :D

Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilberto de Castro Vieira Júnior
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
Please, just make them balanced, it really hurts the game to have so unbalanced quests.
And i think $25 is ok i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Otar wrote:
Please, just make them balanced, it really hurts the game to have so unbalanced quests.

Personally, I value theme more than balance. Sometimes you get amazing quests which can help you win, sometimes not...

If every quest was balanced perfectly, I'd be afraid of them becoming boring or repetitive (or too mathematical).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:
Otar wrote:

Personally, I value theme more than balance. Sometimes you get amazing quests which can help you win, sometimes not...

If every quest was balanced perfectly, I'd be afraid of them becoming boring or repetitive (or too mathematical).

I second that. Theme is what matters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't balance the Quests. Half the fun of gaining Quests is to see if you drew a good or bad one......

What I find very helpful is that the best Quests have an image on them. I hope the new Quests keep this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kennedy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of effort and time you've put in to this game and it's expansions always astounds me to no end.The fellowship mechanic is a familiar one, and I find the sound of it fits this game exceptionally! I'm looking forward to these expansions you've been working on and hope you keep up the amazing work! Thanks for designing such a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Any idea on when the next expansion pack might be coming out? LKike before Christmas??? (I hope)...

Thanks,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Bumping since it seems to not be updating on the main forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.