Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall. Political chit no event so the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact is not signed and Russia can attack Germany but she chose not to. South Africa joined the war against Germany.

5 panzers rolled into Poland. From Breslau they swung up and round to attack Warsaw from the North, leaving garrisons to hold the border. Regular combat cleared the screen around the capital. Paratroops gained a foothold across the Bug and Warsaw fell in exploitation. The Luftwaffe rebased westwards. A counter-attack was virtually wiped out. Poland surrendered and Germany picked up 9BRP.

Italy made a deal with the allies, peace for as long as it took her to take out Yugoslavia and Greece. Mussolini declared war on Yugoslavia and closed in on Belgrade but lost Africa HQ to counterattack. The Italian air-force is in Trieste and Zara so he doesn’t dare to attack France or Britain till they rebase to the western med.

Russia declared on Hungary, Finland and Turkey. Finland bore the brunt of the main force, 4 tank corps and 10 TAC. The Finns were easily pushed back. The Baltic subs transferred to Sevastopol.

2 tank corps with 5 shock armies and 5 TAC made some progress in the Caucuses capturing Kars. Turkey has a plenty of mountains to trade for time.

To reach Hungary in the fall Russia had to declare on Poland and so France (Britain declared back on Russia for the diplomatic advantages). Russian infantry and cavalry passed through Lvov en route for Budapest but have little prospect of taking it. The Hungarians hide behind the Danube.

Germany declared on Holland, France controlled the North Sea and Britain sent 5 corps and GHQ to Rotterdam and France.

The Dutch on the frontier were steamrollered and the British destroyed for want of a retreat path by 4 panzers and 14 TAC. I should have put something in The Hague and had the RAF in Harwich rather than Portsmouth. All German attacks this season were commanded by Centre HQ in Leipzig. The French colonial corps moved to Sedan from Casablanca but no attack was made as I didn’t want to be out of position for winter. A British landing at Wilhelmshaven was defeated by submarines but at the cost of most of the German surface fleet. Holland surrenders and Germany gets another 6 BRP.

Winter. Snow slows movement in Finland. Molotov and Ribbentrop at last agree the pact guaranteeing peace between Russia and Germany for a year.
Germany declares on Belgium and Luxembourg.

Britain rebuilds her armour, lands 3 extra corps in France and drew funds from the Belgians. 5 panzers from Poland drove across Germany to the Ardennes and Luxembourg.

Brussels is reinforced by French 2-3 infantry. Luxembourg is liberated by French armour. 6 fresh panzers pushed through Belgium and 2 British corps on the Somme.

A British landing in The Hague was driven back into the waves despite massed naval gunnery.

Italy took Belgrade. Yugoslavia was split into conquered and client states.

Hungary built up in Budapest. The Russians reached the out skirts but dared not assault it.

Turkey rebuilt her losses and gave a little more ground to the soviets.
Indian 10th corps reached Trabizon via the Dardanelles.

Finland formed reduced infantry in Mekilli. Russian tanks approached Helsinki from east and west but the Finns just managed to hang on. The Russians had run out of BRP and had 1 tank destroyed and another damaged which he disbanded so he could rebuild it in the new year.

Spring 1940. The spring thaw was not too muddy. Political chit was AFV license. Germany offered plans for Mk IV panzers in return for a promise to declare on Britain. Italy would have been allowed to build full strength 4-5 armour corps from her puny 2-5 tankettes. Craig declined as his air-force was still stuck in the Adriatic.

Hitler railed more garrisons to the North Sea coast. 6 Panzers drove deeper into France but lost a paratrooper shot out of the sky in exploitation as the Luftwaffe had exhausted itself . The British over-stacked and destroyed 3 French corps to recover a little ground. French armour destroyed a panzer corps. The British finally succeeded in a landing, taking Antwerp. My carriers hunted down the last German destroyer. I'm not a fan of SAC but I bought 1 point for harassment/recon and sent it in with my Swordfish.

Finland was finally battered into submission by regular and exploitation attacks.

Italy declared on Russia. The soviets caught a lone Italian cavalry and pushed into Yugoslavia. Their infantry attack across the Danube into Budapest was a disaster, the losses opened a hole in the red army’s line. One puny Italian tankette motored east through Hungary taking Lvov and cutting supply to 5 weak Russian armies.

Russia declared on Iran to outflank the Turks. The South Africans moved to Abadan and a British infantry went to Baghdad. 1 Turkish cavalry died out of supply and the 2 soviet tank corps are in range of the Syrian and Iraqi capitals. Infantry and cavalry advanced on Tehran from Turkmenistan. Turkey extended her line southwards.

We stopped at 3am. Russia overextended in Hungary and paid dearly for that. Strange partnerships are forming. Britain with Italy and Russia with Germany. Trust built up gradually. The forces released by detente were soon committed to active fronts, reinforcing the local peace in a virtuous cycle. Italy sent no ships to sea so Britain could transport WDF and GHQ to France easily. Now Suez would be vulnerable if Italy flew even 5 TAC to the eastern med but they are busy in central europe. Equally, with no Italian TAC available in the western med Italy is vulnerable to a landing at Salerno but no British troops can be spared from France and Iraq. Russia left no troops facing Poland so all the German armour and garrisons moved to the North Sea. Italy's success in Yugoslavia and Russia's in Finland would have brought this crashing down were it not for the new war between these 2 majors immediately absorbing all spare forces.

Thanks to Jon (Germany), James (Russia) and Craig (Italy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the photos are upside-down, hard to see what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the AAR, very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry the pictures are upside down. I took them from my seat near Narvik so they seemed perfectly normal to me. The board barely leaves space for players to sit never mind move past each other. With so many pictures I didn't want to keep disrupting the action. I did try flipping them in Picasa but the odd perspective makes my eyes water and my brain sublime. Next time I'll give Germany the camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks! I like following these session reports. One more thing, put a space and add 'large' after the image number. Otherwise the pictures are quite small. Click 'quote' to see the text of how the code looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.