Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 7 Wonders for the first time yesterday and ran into what seems to be the recent bane of my gaming existence: minuscule icons on cards.

At 48, I'm not quite a geezer, though I do resort to playing with 1.5x reading glasses now. (Hey, you whippersnappers, it will be you soon enough!) That confessed, I am by no means visually impaired.

So my session of 7 Wonders was frustrating because it wasn't quickly obvious which resource icons I was looking at. Seriously, those things are tiny.

I've found this issue in several games lately, where the printing on the cards was ridiculously small or barely distinguishable icons were used. Not all games suffer from this, but it seems that some designers are making poor choices when it comes to legibility.

Anyone else feeling this pain? Which games bug you the most?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll get back to you in a few years. for now, I have no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same age, require reading glasses to read, and I didn't really have this issue. The colors tend to be the giveaway there.

Now War of the Ring, I need my reading glasses and a magnifying glass to read that text!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:

I agree, though I take issue with microscopic text, which, as I see it (or don't rather), is a bigger problem. The worst offender in this regard is Tanto Cuore. The card text is unreadable. Some instruction manuals suffer from this flaw as well. Alea (see, e.g., Glen More, Witch's Brew) is notable in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
The card numbers on Lord of the Rings: The Card game are so small you need a magnifying glass to read them. Or a board game monocle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small text is a pain for me, particularly on cards that are put on the table oriented upside-down in relation to my point of view.

The icons in 7 Wonders weren't an issue for me. But the state names on the backs of Founding Fathers cards were tough to make out:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... nothing some LASIK and a 300w halogen spotlight can't solve?

Or 10 or so 6 watt LEDs =P, though I assume the color quality is better on the halogen light? I don't know how LED light look.

I'm 32 and thing the Race for the galaxy cards are ridiculously small. The text even more so. Give me bigger cards and impressive art!

Guess the size is ok if you're 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in this respect. At age 61 my eyes aren't what they used to be, but still good enough to easily read the icons in 7 Ages and Race for the Galaxy. The only thing I've had trouble with recently were a couple of dice in Quarriors, but those are poorly printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
Played 7 Wonders At 48, I'm not quite a geezer, though I do resort to playing with 1.5x reading glasses now. (Hey, you whippersnappers, it will be you soon enough!) That confessed, I am by no means visually impaired.

I'm 42 and am going to look you straight in the eye (so to speak) and say, YES YOU ARE.

Get down that opticians and have a check up.

Believe me, I'm blind as a bat without my Contacts but with them I can spot a Gnats twat from 30 Meters whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:
edelen wrote:
Played 7 Wonders At 48, I'm not quite a geezer, though I do resort to playing with 1.5x reading glasses now. (Hey, you whippersnappers, it will be you soon enough!) That confessed, I am by no means visually impaired.

I'm 42 and am going to look you straight in the eye (so to speak) and say, YES YOU ARE.

Believe me, I'm blind as a bat without my Contacts but with them I can spot a Gnats twat from 30 Meters whistle

I'm 47, wear glasses, have travelled and read extensively, but in my sheltered, relatively long life, I have never yet seen a Gnat's twat.

I feel so...empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
Played 7 Wonders for the first time yesterday and ran into what seems to be the recent bane of my gaming existence: minuscule icons on cards.

At 48, I'm not quite a geezer, though I do resort to playing with 1.5x reading glasses now. (Hey, you whippersnappers, it will be you soon enough!) That confessed, I am by no means visually impaired.

So my session of 7 Wonders was frustrating because it wasn't quickly obvious which resource icons I was looking at. Seriously, those things are tiny.

I've found this issue in several games lately, where the printing on the cards was ridiculously small or barely distinguishable icons were used. Not all games suffer from this, but it seems that some designers are making poor choices when it comes to legibility.

Get some real perscription glasses to bring you back up to 20/20 and stop your belly aching? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the regulars uses this thing for teeny-tiny type on Talisman cards. I just whip off my glasses and hold the card closer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrdinaryEvidence wrote:
I'm 47, wear glasses, have travelled and read extensively, but in my sheltered, relatively long life, I have never yet seen a Gnat's twat.

I feel so...empty.

And that poor gnat feels neglected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The small script font on Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game and Once Upon a Time: Dark Tales is murder on the eyes too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Take a look at Florenza:

Image courtesy panteo

Can you even find the icons on those tiles?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They're on the top right hand corner

OK, now that you've found the icons, imagine trying to match the colours to a myriad of little cubes. Some of the colours are difficult in bright light for people with normal vision.

I'm colourblind, btw...

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:
edelen wrote:

I think it's more than just the glasses and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
While small text on cards can be hard, it is often solveable somehow. Considering I played Dominion with a co-worker that is so visually impaired she is almost blind (she could apperently use a white stick but she seem to ignore the fact she have such bad eyes and just get on with life), we did have to explain the cars all the time.

I guess for 7 wonders a spoiler list of all the cards and what they do could help a bit for slight bad sight but I have a hard time figureing out how to play it with her to be honest.

(Of course she seems to have no problem with online poker which seems rather strange. Although it probably help with bluffing if you can't see the cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:

Well, I'm 46 and I'm on 1.0 reading glasses. More to come soblue

edelen wrote:
Anyone else feeling this pain?

Yes, I do. yuk

edelen wrote:
Which games bug you the most?

All games for which I need these stupid glasses!
The bigger the cards, the bigger the fonts, the better the game meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've worn glasses (at least part time) since the age of 7 (full time from 12) and contacts since 17 (I'm now 30). So in 15 years or so I'm going to hit this heady 10 years of wonder where my eyes WILL ACTUALLY GET BETTER! It's wonderful, 10 years where I'll actually go to the opticians as often as I can JUST to get the good news.

Of course after those 10 glorious years I'm screwed and will suffer with needing to switch between 13 different pairs of glasses depending on what I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mind 7 Wonders, but Glen More is a little on the teensy side, especially in bad light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
OrdinaryEvidence wrote:

I feel so...empty.

And that poor gnat feels neglected.

I know!

And according to several partners I've had, given my physical attributes, I could almost satisfy that gnat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
now try reading the numbers on a quarrior portal die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
now try reading the numbers on a quarrior portal die...

Oh, heck yes! That's another one! And what's with that game's reliance on dark colors that look too much alike in less than ideal lighting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that cost has something to do with it; trying to balance text/icon readability with the cost of larger tokens/pieces/more pages, etc.

BTW, I was sorely tempted to write my whole reply in this size text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
BTW, I was sorely tempted to write my whole reply in this size text.

Ctrl-Mousescroll. Can't do that with cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.