Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Burgun
United States
Goldens Bridge
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played Power Grid a few times. We liked it, but we found that it was a bit slow and fiddly for what it was. I have no doubt that if I were to just get over that and go into it gung ho, I would have a BLAST playing the game. However, my time is limited so I'm looking for something a little tighter with similar mechanisms.

My favorite thing about Power Grid was the resource track, how things would get cheaper and more expensive based on how people were using them. I think that I would like a game that focused, perhaps, more on this mechanism?

Oh! I also REALLY STRONGLY DISLIKE how much arithmetic the game requires that you do to play well. There were several times where I was like, "okay, in order to make a good next move, I have to do a bunch of math." I'd rather just NOT do that math and make a crappy move, that's how little I enjoy doing math during a boardgame. So yeah, something without that would be great.

So in short: Something with a variable resource track that's played in an hour or less. And no dice rolling! Preferably very little variance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador uses price tracks affected by supply and demand but is still 90 minutes.

Glen More has a market for goods where prices go up and down based on sales/purchases. It's a 60 minute game, and doesn't contain anywhere near as much arithmetic but there's variance in the tile-drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the new PG "first sparks" at Essen. Supposed to be streamlined PG. Check out Friedman's company 2F-Spiele.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Medieval Merchant is the other half of Power Grid [money management and city expansion] tightened up.

You might like it, but it won't give you the resource management / buying-and-selling feel.

Cuba has a similar market mechanic, but it's not a big part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played either, but can't help thinking that Martin Wallace's Great Western looks like a sort of simplified PG. Let the experts' rants...begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Toscana as well. It has supply/demand cost mechanisms built into the wine market. I have not yet played it, but it certainly should be quicker than PG, and I think it will be lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Planet Steam, I forgot about that game; it feels like PG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

I'd 2nd CUBA - as mentioned, the prices aren't as critical as in PG, but it's a reasonably important aspect of the game, and it has that 'intense/little competition over a particular resource or victory path results in growing costs and diminishing returns/lower costs and easy victory points for those in the 'off' markets'.

I'd also recommend Ys, another low-math game with such a mechanic, but YS has players directly manipulating the victory point value of the various different types of gems you're collecting, a bit more critical than either CUBA or PG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.