Railways of the World» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone get shorted cubes? Also, how is your box holding up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played the Eastern US map for the first time last night. Up until now we have only played Mexico and England & Wales. I was populating the map with cubes when I realized I wouldn't be able to fill the required stock in my last few cities.

Now this is like the 5th or 6th time we've played this game and we haven't played the Eastern US map because we often play only 2 player games. Cubes have never been an issue on the smaller maps. I normally check components when I open a game for the first time, but apparently this is something I just didn't do.

Here is the amount of cubes I currently have:

25xYellow
16xRed
25xBlack
18xPurple
14xBlue

Has this happened to anyone else? I've owned the game for a few months now so its not like I am gonna return the game to my FLGS. Not only that, this might be our favorite game! I am sure we haven't lost these cubes. We are way too particular about our clean-up (of course this bothers me because we should have noticed sooner).

I am going to e-mail Eagle games and check on the price of replacements. Do I have any other options? I wanted to break this out with the Eastern US this coming weekend when family is visiting (that's why we tried a 2 player game last night).

Also, after all this talk about cube issues...how is your box holding up? Mine looks fine, then you take the top off and the bottom part of the box is sort of splitting on two of the corners. Not a big deal. Nothing tape couldn't fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle has always been good to me. I would email them and I'll bet they will send out the cubes you need. Free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boxes did not hold up well.

Everything transferred to 7 plastic storage bins:
four smaller bins to hold:
player pieces
general supply (everything used in every game)
cards by map
extra components (they have to go somewhere)

two disposable takeaway food containers to hold the tiles

several more flat disposable plastic containers for use during play

one large one to hold everything

I could probably consolidate the four small bins into fewer, but they stack up 2x2 in the big box, so eliminating one really wouldn't help, and getting rid of two would have the extra components end up put somewhere apart from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game this weekend, and I was also missing some cubes. I was only missing some black cubes, I had 25 of the other 4 colors, so I sent them an email.

You have a surprisingly large amount of cubes missing though. Must have been quite a production error on that bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my box is holding up great. it has had many plays and had been in many travel bags.

i've got the edition prior to the plastic insert and color corrected map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I better check my cube count! I have the 2010 reprint and have had a box split on one corner of the box bottom since shortly after I got it. Not sure what happened, but must be due to the heft of the box. Heaviest (by weight!) game I own by far. Also, I try to be careful now when unfolding/folding the map. I was basically holding the map by one corner when I first opened and the rest of it unfolded due to gravity - tore part of the front of the map from the backing. Totally my fault, but now I am very methodical about folding and unfolding.

Also on the cubes - remember to put down one less cube for the 2+ cities for the two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to update anyone reading this thread...

Eagle Games has responded to my e-mail informing me that they are sending me out the missing cubes ASAP. This is good news because I just saw a post yesterday about them selling RotW supplies for a multiple map situation and the cubes are $8...so I am happy that they are taking care of me.

Great customer service!

Thanks Eagle Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gates
Australia
flag msg tools
They are pretty good about it. They do want happy customers.
My set was short just 1 black cube which I haven't bothered about.

My England set however was missing a deck of 17 cards and had a duplicate deck. They sent a replacement. Of course I could have taken it back to the store for a refund or replacement but that's harsh on a small store owner.

Eagle are going to go far. They have worked out you need to focus on what the customer wants just as Apple have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to play the game today and found that I am missing all 25 yellow goods cubes.

Yesterday I was playing Conquest of the empire (by the same company) and found that I was missing two yellow infantry and had an extra cavalry. Kind of frustrating, but I expect they will send replacements.

My RotW is brand new but the box was also broken in the corner, but just put some electrical tape over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lost Vegas
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My brand new box was also torn at one corner when i first opened it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

Since you asked...

I wasn't missing any cubes in my recently purchased copy (2010 reprint), but the two map boards & the score track were all seriously crunched on one corner. I exchanged the entire game with the retailer, but the other copy I got had the same issue, although not quite as bad.

Eagle offered to replace the boards (yay! excellent servcie!), and as I was taking pictures for them, I noticed that the outer box had a tear in the top, and one of the corners was close to splitting.

I think the weight of the components is seriously stressing the box & when the boards shift around (especially with careless handling, as it looks like happened here), they can hammer the corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.