Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted a few threads here and there, but am quite new to the BBG community and to board games. I have essentially played Go and Munchkin and that is the extent of my experience. Well after research and responses to a few threads I posted I ordered 6 games and they got here last week and yesterday I met with my best friend and we played some of them for the first time.

I got Carcassone, Rune Age, Dominion, Citadels, Stone Age, and Agricola.

We played Dominion, Stone Age, and Citadels. I am not sure if anyone is interested at all but I figured I would post my thoughts.

Citadels - We played 1 game of it and really enjoyed it. Having to pick the roles each round and try to bluff each other was fun. We learned about halfway through to switch things up because we figured out how to counter each others basic strategies. I managed to win by 1 point. Also, we referred to the gold pieces as caramels the whole game.

Dominion - This was our favorite of the three and we played 2 games. At first we were wary because the set up was kind of bigger than we expected and I had to go over the rules twice before my friend understood what was going on. But the deck building and trying to balance the money and vps and synergy of the action cards really drew us in. I won both of the games, but I was actually playing to win and my friend didn't care and was just experimenting with the cards to try to figure out good combos throughout both of the games.

Stone Age - We played 1 game of it and liked it as well. I think we will enjoy it more once we get some more plays into it. There was just a whole lot to do and we were overwhelmed by the amount of content as our first experience of a worker placement game. My friend ended up winning, but we really didn't know what we were doing until halfway through the game.

Normally we meet and hang out once a week for 2-3 hours and by the end of the 2nd hour we are normally bored and there are lulls in the conversation until we depart. By the end of all the games and talking throughout the whole time we ended up using 7 and a half hours and it only felt like the regular 2 hours.

Needless to say we both had a lot of fun and this is definitely a hobby I will be sticking with. Next weekend we plan on playing the other 3 new ones I have. So thanks all that recommended and gave advice since I joined the community. I'm glad to be here and I'll see you all around.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
What Pete said & stay a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't necessarily remember every recommendation I make, but hearing back from those who have followed advice here is valuable. I like to think I have a sense for what people will enjoy, but the feedback you gave here is useful in guiding future recommendations. Welcome to BGG and to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the look of it, you jumped right into board games. What prompted you to move so confidently in the direction of this new-to-you hobby?
I salute both of you for learning and playing three new games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome! It looks like people gave solid advice recommending game. Those are all great picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
From the look of it, you jumped right into board games. What prompted you to move so confidently in the direction of this new-to-you hobby?
I salute both of you for learning and playing three new games in a row.

I am huge into video games and my goal is to become a video game designer/project leader/producer/whatever term you want to use. I figured I would try to study design and mechanics in all forms of games, not just the video game variety, to be better well rounded and potentially bring something new to the industry plus a larger and/or more unique viewpoint to the future. Hoping to go to grad school next fall for it. Thus my move into board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your presence makes our community greater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to have you on BGG!!!

Glad you enjoyed the time spent with your friend, and looking forward to more of your thoughts and impressions as you try out more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff - I'd be tempted to give Stone Age another go before diving into Agricola. Also it might pay to watch a video teaching Agricola as if you found Stone Age a little tricky to pick up, Agricola will be tougher. Agricola is a great game, but I suspect that learning it from the rules may be somewhat daunting - I personally was taught the game by someone else and it is often easier that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear!
Welcome to the wonderful hobby of boardgaming & the Geek meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foote
United States
Carter Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
All great choices... now that you love the hobby, QUICK ARKHAM HORROR! Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Great stuff - I'd be tempted to give Stone Age another go before diving into Agricola. Also it might pay to watch a video teaching Agricola as if you found Stone Age a little tricky to pick up, Agricola will be tougher. Agricola is a great game, but I suspect that learning it from the rules may be somewhat daunting - I personally was taught the game by someone else and it is often easier that way.
Definitely hold off on Agricola if you're going to be learning from the rules. Many people here at BGG have commented on the rule book being hard to learn from and it is a marked step up from Stone Age complexity wise.
I saw four people that were going to teach themselves Agricola a couple of days ago and they put it away maybe 15 minutes after first opening the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3 Games WOW , it is clearly an achievement , it took me 4 hours plus to teach Ascension to gf , i felt like murdering her angry. Had to go through each rule at least 9 times( cause I counted ) and to explain here even if you show me puppy eyes modest, you can't UNDO your last move Darn it !shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Re: Re: Thank You BGG Community
Welcome to the site! Thanks for saying hello and introducing yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Looks like you've started with some great games. Here's to many more games and much less money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
I am huge into video games and my goal is to become a video game designer/project leader/producer/whatever term you want to use. I figured I would try to study design and mechanics in all forms of games, not just the video game variety, to be better well rounded and potentially bring something new to the industry plus a larger and/or more unique viewpoint to the future. Hoping to go to grad school next fall for it. Thus my move into board games.

That's exactly how I got into board games.

I don't even play video games anymore.

You can turn back now! There's still time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, it's what makes this site so great! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard. Great to have you and well thought out responses.

And I love the user name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mimedestroyer wrote:

I got Carcassone, Rune Age, Dominion, Citadels, Stone Age, and Agricola.
Next weekend we plan on playing the other 3 new ones I have. So thanks all that recommended and gave advice since I joined the community. I'm glad to be here and I'll see you all around.

Stone Age needs 2-3 plays before you really get what's going on.

Agricola is darn thick and requires a commitment to learning. I highly recommend catching a video or two on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

I think Citadels is great and it gets even more exciting with 4-5 people. 6+ can get a little long, especially if not everyone is familiar with all the roles.

Stone Age is one of my favorites. I usually buy a lot of wood and then snatch up a ton of cards. When you think about which roles to take and which cards to take it helps to match up strategies. If you like buying a lot of tools, make sure to buy up all the tool cards. That synergy can score you a ton of points at the end of the game (also, don't underestimate tools). Also, don't worry too much about starving your people. I wouldn't do it all the time, but sometimes getting stuff is better than losing the 10 points.

As for Agricola, everyone says to watch a video, but no one has told you which video to watch. Watch this video: http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=87

Board Games with Scott isn't being produced anymore, but this is one of the best Agricola learning videos, and Scott is now a professor at MIT, so you know it has to be good. Also, he has a beard.

(And don't worry if the rulebook seems completely incomprehensible the first time you try reading it. It is incomprehensible. The massive amount of fine print at the end of the rulebook doesn't help).

As for Carcassone, you can either play it nicely or extremely competitively. I like competitive. As you stick around, you may notice that there are alternate rules for scoring floating around the geek. The rules were changed slightly for the American release, but I woudn't worry about it until/unless you start buying up a bunch of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
Needless to say we both had a lot of fun and this is definitely a hobby I will be sticking with. Next weekend we plan on playing the other 3 new ones I have. So thanks all that recommended and gave advice since I joined the community. I'm glad to be here and I'll see you all around.

Great! Welcome to BGG... You'll have fun around here.

I'd advise against going for the other three right away, though. Especially Agricola.

Have a go at Carcassonne, play a bit more of the ones you got to know, especially Stone Age before moving on to Agricola. It will present you with even more choices than Stone Age and might be a bit too much to someone just starting with worker placement.
As for Rune Age, I really don't know much about it but anyway the three you tried plus Carcassonne should give you some plentiful nights for now.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Austin! Now to get you into some Ameritrash... Have fun WHATEVER you play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOMEblankTOblankBGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.